Thrift Shop Vinyl

Gregorius

Greetings Gentlemen,

I stopped at the local thrift yesterday and along with the usual Mantovani, and Sing along with Mitch LP's, I picked up the following for 10 cents each:

Wes Montgomery- Smokin' at the Half Note- Verve Records VG+

Wes Montgomery- Willow Weep for ME- Verve Records VG+

Beatles- Rubber Soul- Capitol Records Mono VG

Not mint or anything, but for 30 cents can't be beat. 9.gif

Regards,

Greg

• 8 years later...

Seen the sign at thrift store. All recordes10/Dollar. As I was inspecting for scratches, and anything I might be interested in, I asked an employee if it was 10 cents for the box sets also. Yes it was! I got a chair and looked over everything I thought I might be interested in. Some off the albums had never been opened, and others looked like they had never been played. Anything that looked like it was scratched was rejected. $6.50 later I left with 2 boxes. Now I wish I had a good record cleaner. Do have a hand wipe cleaner, and also some of those yellow costco lint free rags.

was given an old record player. if the turntable turns, would this be ok for cleaning records one side at a time?

I clean my records low tech. Here is the recipe for a gallon of record cleaning solution: 4 parts distilled water, 1 part isopropyl alchohol, and 7-8 drops dishwashing detergent without additives. Put solution into small spray bottle. Get a microfiber towel. Spray the vinyl with good amount of cleaner, but don't get the label wet. Use the towel to go clockwise around the record until clean. Wait till the record is dry before playing. I also do a quick wipe off of the back so I don't introduce dust to the turntable. If the record isn't clean enough , do it again, but be more generous with the solution. Get it wet. Not the label, of course. This method works very well. Make sure you are using a microfiber towel, that is very important.

Any classical stuff?

By the time I got out of there I was pretty crosseyed from looking for scratches, but I'm sure I got some records out of the classical section. Just to ignorant to be able to look at some of the records and say 'That's' classical. But I'm sure I got some big band, and artists that I've listened to. I guess I need to make a list, play and see what I like. I know I got some horns, symphony, and some of the artists must be classical. I know I have some from the 20s or 30s on up, and some music that was written prior to that I think. Don't matter, rock, country, blue grass, old stuff. Just don't play no disco or rap for me.

[:|]