La Scala set up Q's

Posted (edited)

The set up needs some work but I can finally sit down and spend some time listening to them. (Note, Heresy II's not hooked up, I just needed a place to put them).

spacer.png

Edited by S391
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 5/28/2024 at 9:49 AM, S391 said:

The set up needs some work but I can finally sit down and spend some time listening to them. (Note, Heresy II's not hooked up, I just needed a place to put them).

spacer.png

looking good!  don't be afraid of playing with toe in.  i'd consider putting the speakers where the heresys are and toe them in where they cross a few feet in front of the listening position (i haven't had any la scalas, but that's how i got best sound/imaging from chorus 1s and cornwalls).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jcn3 said:

looking good!  don't be afraid of playing with toe in.  i'd consider putting the speakers where the heresys are and toe them in where they cross a few feet in front of the listening position (i haven't had any la scalas, but that's how i got best sound/imaging from chorus 1s and cornwalls).

I agree with @jcn3. You will likely find the sound more pleasant if you toe the speakers in towards your listening position.

However, you won’t need a lot of toe-in. I measured on-axis and off-axis performance of my La Scalas and found that they degrade significantly the further off-axis you go.

Some people say to align the axes so that they meet in front of the listening position and others recommend a couple of feet behind. What works best for you will likely be determined by your room’s acoustics.

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback. I know it's tough to see due to the temp sounds panels but the speakers are toed in towards the listening position... but I will play with them and see how it changes.

• Like 1

You guys have been great, thank you for the info.

I'm trying to figure out exactly what I have. I read that the AL crossover was only used in 1983... However, the copywrite date on the tag is 1985 so clearly I was wrong... The labels are pretty faded but I've been playing around trying to get some contrast... can anyone help me figure out what I have? I don't know the Klipsch codes well enough to figure it out.

As always, thank you for your help.

spacer.png

23 minutes ago, S391 said:

You guys have been great, thank you for the info.

I'm trying to figure out exactly what I have. I read that the AL crossover was only used in 1983... However, the copywrite date on the tag is 1985 so clearly I was wrong... The labels are pretty faded but I've been playing around trying to get some contrast... can anyone help me figure out what I have? I don't know the Klipsch codes well enough to figure it out.

As always, thank you for your help.

spacer.png

the first two digits in the serial number indicate they were built in 1988.

the rest is pretty easy -- k-77 tweeter, k-55-m midrange, al crossover.  you can't see it obviously but there's a k-33 woofer.  all of the drivers have ceramic magnets -- the drivers with alinco magnets were phased out by 1980.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/28/2024 at 6:49 AM, S391 said:

The set up needs some work... (Note, Heresy II's not hooked up, I just needed a place to put them).

put them in the back for a 5.1 set up.

50944365457_04d95b23b8_k.jpg

• Like 3

@S391,

It looks to me like your LSs are 1988. Klipsch was a real mixed bag as they improved each model with available inventory. If you look at the schematic for the AL-2 it looks like they used up their inventory of 2.5mH coils to form the 5mH value used in the AL-3, same values, same schematic, different parts. 

I see your pair has the “improved” resin K-401. (Spider senses tingling)

IMG_3285.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, geoff. said:

@S391,

It looks to me like your LSs are 1988. Klipsch was a real mixed bag as they improved each model with available inventory. If you look at the schematic for the AL-2 it looks like they used up their inventory of 2.5mH coils to form the 5mH value used in the AL-3, same values, same schematic, different parts. 

I see your pair has the “improved” resin K-401. (Spider senses tingling)

Thank you for the info!! The historical aspect of these are every bit as much fun as the listening.

• Like 1

I had a pair of '83 LS with the AL crossovers. I personally didn't like them, and built simpler networks designed by a forum member and sold the ALs to someone.

They aren't necessarily a bad crossover. The '88 LS would have had newer models. The K-401 resin mid horn is better than the earlier cast aluminum K-400.

The LS are great speakers, kinda wish I still had a pair. Enjoy yours, get used to them, and try them for low level, late night listening.

(As an aside, and really not trying to get you to change anything. ... but... I always felt the mids were a little too hot, and everyone knows the bass rolls off. I adjusted my mids down 2 or 3 dB. This meant that adjusting the gain back up, the bass came up a little more and sounded more balanced to me without the mids being a 'chainsaw in your forehead' as some folks put it. )

We're all different, just enjoy!

• Like 2

Xovers last a LONG time and only you know what your hearing.  You're also running a very efficient speaker so it's revealing.  The call is yours to make.  Your ears and yea they're getting old.  Get the boys in  there to critically listen and put your heads together.

You're IN the rabbit hole now.  Where ya want to go and how much you gonna spend on  your rig?  New amp?  Table?  Cart?  It's ALL part of the equation cause right now we're grinnin.  Choose your poison wisely.  😂   Seeeee, ur screwed!  :)

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Dave1291 said:

Xovers last a LONG time and only you know what your hearing.  You're also running a very efficient speaker so it's revealing.  The call is yours to make.  Your ears and yea they're getting old.  Get the boys in  there to critically listen and put your heads together.

You're IN the rabbit hole now.  Where ya want to go and how much you gonna spend on  your rig?  New amp?  Table?  Cart?  It's ALL part of the equation cause right now we're grinnin.  Choose your poison wisely.  😂   Seeeee, ur screwed!  :)

I'm set with everything except the speakers... that is the final part I'm working on.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I wanted to give a big shout-out / thank you to DeanG! He built me a new set of AL-3 crossovers and I finally had a chance to install them last night. The difference is real. Everything is more defined, I have better bass, etc.

DeanG was a pleasure to work with and I couldn't be happier with the end results.

Picture time...

What I took out:

spacer.png

What went in (I'm using Dean's photo as I forgot to take any before I installed them):

spacer.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1