Looking for a good stereo receiver to drive my 3.5s

xr7segfault

I have a harman/kardon AVR45 DOlby Digital receiver, and I'm not completely happy with it. It has a slight hiss, a 120hz hum, the digital inputs are a little noisy, and at -64db the speaker output is completely muted but at -63 it can be heard clearly from outside the room, with the door shut! And to top it off, it's made in CHINA. Definitely not what I expected from h/k.

I did some thinking, and I don't think I will be using surround sound anyway, so I don't want to bother with it. So, I am looking a good receiver that's old enough to be well-built, but new enough to have a remote. Can anyone point me toward some specific models that will sound good with my Klipsches? My price range is $150-$350, and based on my criteria the vintage is probably mid-80s to early-90s.

By the way, my dad has an old Onkyo TX1500 MKII receiver that's not doing anything. I haven't listened to it in a long time. How were they?

After a pretty thorough search for a stereo receiver to drive my Cornwalls, I chose the Yamaha RX-596 Natural Sound Receiver.

I must say the sound and performance of this receiver has exceeded my expectations (which rarely happens to me). The bass and clarity are great.

Do a search on "Yam vs Denon" to see additional comments on this unit.

Let your ears be the judge.

Klipschguy