Value of 1977 Klipsch La Scalas

Would love to know what this pair would bring. They were given to me by a friend, who purchased them new in 1977, and finished them himself (son of a cabinet maker), and who moved out of state, but I just don't have the room for them. All stock, work beautifully. In northern Nevada. Any help would be appreciated!

Type - LS BR

Serials - 12R455, 12R614

IMG_1845.jpeg

IMG_1828.jpeg

IMG_1825.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The HiFi scene in Reno still in development. Given that there are couple of upscale HiFi stores which might have an interest.

You also might check out HiFi on Facebook

If I did not already have mine I would be a Buyer

Good Luck

• Like 1

Ya crazy?  MAKE room cause those are cookers!  IF ya have to replace crossovers this gang in here can and will help ya out.  I'd say 1800 -2500 but IF you off 'em you're gonna kick yourself for the rest of your life.  Life ain't about the money and IF you look at the big picture you've got a killer pair of speakers.  Eh, what do I know I'm OLD!  Go ahead and turn 'em but you got 'em free for a reason from another crazy man.  I'm good.  😂

• Like 2

Thanks for all the feedback, especially @Dave1291, I don't have a compelling reason to unload them, and you've encouraged me to try to make room for them. They are beautiful! I know the pics don't accurately represent their appearance, but the original owner did an awesome job on the finish. I have read posts where some state to keep the speakers completely original, and others are passionate about replacing the caps, etc. for the best sound. I would be interested in the best sound over keeping the original state, but certainly don't want to lose the Klipsch signature pure sound. What would be recommendations for upgrades to these all original speakers?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DWells said:

Thanks for all the feedback, especially @Dave1291, I don't have a compelling reason to unload them, and you've encouraged me to try to make room for them. They are beautiful! I know the pics don't accurately represent their appearance, but the original owner did an awesome job on the finish. I have read posts where some state to keep the speakers completely original, and others are passionate about replacing the caps, etc. for the best sound. I would be interested in the best sound over keeping the original state, but certainly don't want to lose the Klipsch signature pure sound. What would be recommendations for upgrades to these all original speakers?

Just check that all the connections are tight, check the squawker gasket, and listen. If all drivers work keep listening. Maybe refresh crossovers if the sound isn’t what you expect. If you do sell them I wouldn’t let them go for less than 2k. 

• Like 1

Very cool that you are at least considering keeping them:emotion-21: Klipsch LaScalas have their own signature sound that I love. You either love it or hate it. Still have my pair I bought brand new in '77. As others have stated the crossovers MAY need new capacitors. There is a Klipsch authorized vendor for replacements that supposedly preserve the "Klipsch" sound.

What upgrades are available? Now that there is a huge can of worms. Even the word upgrade is not allowed around here. They are modifications not upgrades. Many from here have migrated to AudioKarma. 

Seeeeeee, ya got 'em ALL stirred up @DWells   LS are truly a FUN speaker! They, like most of the Klipsch line have their own distinctivve "voice."

Take a look at the "networks/crossovers" inside and look for oily looking leaks.  That's an indicator for sure, loosen the screws and just tighten them back down breaking the crude free a lil bit and give them a good listen.

It doesn't take 5k watts of "pure solid state power" to drive them at all.  It also doesn't  take a high dollar tube amp.  That's up to you to decide because they're VERY efficient speakers.  A 5 watt tube amp sounds great depending on the size of the room.  Whatever you have on it now is fine as long as it works for you.

Throw 'em in a corner and align them to cross a couple feet in front of you and you should have a great sound stage for listening.  Kick back and relax.  See what they sound like.  You're buddy did you a solid and is prolly grinnin right now cause ur hooked or soon will be.  Prove me wrong!  lol

Ya got questions just ask or use the search bar up top.  We don't bite too hard in here.  

BTW, don't EVEN think about dumping them that's just cra cra!  lol  Welcome to the fam!

• Like 1