QUESTION: Late 1970's Klipsch Cornwalls

Posted (edited)

Hey all,

I have a question. My Dad, bought a pair of Klipsch Cornwalls around 1977-1979???. Anyway, he still has them, but hasn't fired them up in years. The speakers currently reside in his Dining Room. We're having an issue with one of the speaker cabinets though. The speaker cabinet cover keeps popping off at the top. We have tried velcro and two-sided tape to no avail. Can anybody recommend a way to secure the cover? Is there a recommended special/strong velcro that can hold the cover onto the cabinet??? I'd post a pic, but I'm not currently signed up to an image hosting site.

Edited by SonicAngel

This is a common problem with late 70's era Klipsch Heritage speakers. The generic term for "velcro" is "hook-and-loop fasteners", and the issue is that these fasteners are sometimes more grippy than the adhesive that is holding the hook-and loop fasteners to the grille board and baffle board. If this is the problem, you'll need to separate the hook-and-loop pieces and re-attach them to their respective places with a more substantial adhesive. Is the grille board itself warped? This can happen to the thin grille board material from years of displacement, and the reattached hook-and-loop strips may not be strong enough to hold the warped board in place. In that case, you might need to work on straightening the grille board first and/or using stronger hook-and-loop fasteners.

*Triceratops trivia time: "Velcro" is a registered trademark so if you write that word in a print publication without including a little "R" in a circle, you'll get spanked--but this is the internet, so no one actually cares. Owners of trademarks do this because the owner is paid royalties by products using the trademark, even though the patent for the invention has long expired. If you find all of this confusing, you're not alone.

🤡

On 6/5/2024 at 1:35 AM, SonicAngel said:

Can anybody recommend a way to secure the cover? 

given the poor condition of the grilles  , screws with seated nylon washers can straighten the masonite  ,  here is a picture of the Pro Klipsch speakers ,  the grille is straight as an arrow  .

Klipsch Professional KP-301-B - Picture 1 of 5

The original velcro was removed by my Dad years ago, when the cover first became detached. He tried another velcro, but it never worked, and then he tried double-sided Alien tape and that didn't work as well. You are right though, some velco doesn't come with strong enough adhesive, and it pulls off. That has been the problem thus far. I don't know if the grill board is warped or not. I suppose we can take it completely off and check it on a flat surface. My Dad actually nailed one of the corners down, but I can remove the nail, and detach it from the cabinet.

I have sent an email to Klipsch, and they asked me for the serial number on the speaker cabinet to get a better idea how to fix this, so I will be doing that shortly.

Hi SonicAngel,

It doesn't really matter that the original velcro is gone, because new velcro is readily available and you can get stuff that is more robust than the original velcro. Some velcro is available that is strong enough to attach a bumper to a car, although you obviously won't want it to be that strong! Alternately, you can also use other grill attachment strategies like magnets. Please ignore the post that suggests attaching the grill with screws--perhaps the poster who wrote that was joking--because that would deface and devalue the speakers. Hopefully, you'll get some good advice from your email to Klipsch. If not, please circle back here and we'll try to help you further.

Best in horns,

triceratops

On 6/7/2024 at 8:39 PM, SonicAngel said:

The original velcro was removed by my Dad years ago, when the cover first became detached. He tried another velcro, but it never worked, and then he tried double-sided Alien tape and that didn't work as well. You are right though, some velco doesn't come with strong enough adhesive, and it pulls off. That has been the problem thus far. I don't know if the grill board is warped or not. I suppose we can take it completely off and check it on a flat surface. My Dad actually nailed one of the corners down, but I can remove the nail, and detach it from the cabinet.

I have sent an email to Klipsch, and they asked me for the serial number on the speaker cabinet to get a better idea how to fix this, so I will be doing that shortly.