Klipsch Heresy tweeter mold corrosion

Hello everyone, this is my first post on this beautiful forum.
I am a great fan of the Klipsch brand and I have had in order: Rb61 mark 1; Rb 81 mark 2 and currently hi RF7 mark 3.
I have the opportunity to buy some Heresy from 1974, but I noticed that on the tweeters there is a sort of mold or corrosion.
It seems like sweating. When listening everything seems ok.
Could it be a problem?
The asking price is 700 euros, do you think it is a good price?
The serial numbers are not exactly consecutive (9M604 and 9M251) but the components inside are the same. The cabinets are in good condition with HWO 12 finish.
Thanks a lot for the help.
Sergio

IMG_20240609_173524.jpg

On 6/9/2024 at 12:23 PM, SergioKlipsch said:

Hello everyone, this is my first post on this beautiful forum.
I am a great fan of the Klipsch brand and I have had in order: Rb61 mark 1; Rb 81 mark 2 and currently hi RF7 mark 3.
I have the opportunity to buy some Heresy from 1974, but I noticed that on the tweeters there is a sort of mold or corrosion.
It seems like sweating. When listening everything seems ok.
Could it be a problem?
The asking price is 700 euros, do you think it is a good price?
The serial numbers are not exactly consecutive (9M604 and 9M251) but the components inside are the same. The cabinets are in good condition with HWO 12 finish.
Thanks a lot for the help.
Sergio

IMG_20240609_173524.jpg

I had the same on my 75 Heresys. It's just the oxidation of the brass cover.  Just wipe it off - nothing to worry about. I love those tweeters. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the reply! I have already removed the corrosion with a cotton ball soaked first in isopropyl alcohol and then, once dry, with very little straw-colored oil. My trusted technician says that we should check if the corrosion has gone inside, but it doesn't seem like it, and above all the speakers sound very good. I currently have them connected to a Denon Pma 860 and I am satisfied with the result. Of course I bought them!

Sergio

Sergio, those are beautiful speakers. These days, that is probably a fair price,  considering how nice they look.

That is probably a zinc chromate one the tweeter housings. What you have done should be fine.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Marvel said:

Sergio, those are beautiful speakers. These days, that is probably a fair price,  considering how nice they look.

That is probably a zinc chromate one the tweeter housings. What you have done should be fine.

Thank you, it seems like a miracle that they have arrived today, after 50 years, in the splendid condition they are in. They sound very good although they don't have the deep bass of my RF7 III. I think I'll build myself some bases like the Heresy 3 ones.

You have very nice speakers! The fact that the bass still has Alnico magnets is something very special these days. Look what a Tannoy Prestige Kensington with 10“ Alnico costs today compared to a 10” Tannoy Stirling Ferrite.
I would never open this K77 if it wasn't necessary. And it all looks like it's not necessary.

But what I would definitely do is to change the rubber ring in the screwed midrange driver. After so many years it will be dried out or crumbly. And that makes a difference if the compression reaches the squaker horn without loss.
Do you still have the original xover? If it sounds good I wouldn't change anything. Oh I see in the photo that you have the original caps. Use them if they are sound. When they are still dry there is a good chance that they are sound. But let check the measurements of capacity and ESR.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Thank you all for the comments and valuable advice! The speakers sound great, and for now, I have no plans to change anything.

I think all components are original.

The next step will be the DIY stands, because compared to the RF7III the scene is lower, but still very enjoyable.

Cheers Sergio

Edited by SergioKlipsch
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, KT88 said:

But let check the measurements of capacity and ESR.

I'm not very expert, even if I have a tester, I wouldn't know how to do it, I don't even know the exact values. To me, how they sound, everything seems fine.

• Like 1

It's fun to play with my new toy!
I connected them, on the fly, with the small Pioneer Sa 500 A, raised about 40 cm .... truly surprising on three-dimensionality and details, perhaps better than the Denon.
Next test with my Marantz PM 8006.

IMG_20240612_194256.jpg

I have my Heresy IIs up on large wood cabinets, about one meter. They are solid boxes (actually bass horns I'm working on finishing). The Heresy IIs have plenty of bass and the imaging is excellent.

Try different placements until you are happy with them, use your ears and enjoy. I wish mine were as beautiful, but they are a satin black lacquer. I love them anyway.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, the real Duke Spinner said:

Don't worry be Happy What'd s little mold anyways.?  🙂

No it wasn't mold (there was no moldy smell), I think it was aluminum oxide (or some metal alloy that the tweeter's coating is made of), due to the metals' prolonged exposure to air.
The appearance was very similar to the bottom of this old pot (a whitish powder).

image.thumb.png.a18d73df8e703c5e977c593e5b8a68a3.png