Building a subwoofer into raised HT platform?

RossVTaylor

I posted the following in the Powered Subwoofers forum, but didn't get any response. Maybe, since I'm talking mostly about HT and not about a powered Klipsch sub, this belongs here instead? Here goes...

Here's an idea I've had, and I found nothing in searches to help me out. Maybe somebody's thought this through before me and can offer some suggestions?

In my upcoming home theater room, I'll have a raised platform for the second tier seats. Would it be feasible to build a good-performing subwoofer into this base? I'm not looking to recess my existing sub/s here. What I'm thinking of is a bass horn or folded bass tube custom built into the platform. Figuring on a platform about 11 feet by 8-9 feet, and about 11" thick. Is this practical? Has anyone seen plans for something like this? Hmmmm.... curious.

Ross

Hi Ross,

sure,I've seen what might be a good start. www.partsexpress.com

type #300-445 in the search.It's a dual voice coil 10"under floor mount with a heat vent type grill.Looks like something you could put under the seating.

It's only 9"high,should work.

It needs a seperate power amp,but they are on sale.

I have one of their sub amps on my "behind the couch"sub and it works good

Steve,

Thanks for the link. I've been to their site before, but have never seen that in-floor subwoofer. It looks like it has definite potential, but to be honest I was thinking bigger. Give me more, more, more! smile.gif I would think that with the ample volume of space I'd have available, I could use a couple of their "Titanic" subwoofer drivers in a properly designed platform-cabinet and get some REAL low-end response. Am I dreaming?

Ross

• 1 month later...