Surround speaker placement

kjohnsonhp

I'm open to suggestions on the surround speakers in my 6.1 setup. I have two Heresys on stands for the side walls and one Heresy in the rear center. I can't mount the sides higher than 26" due to the pitch of the walls (see photo below).

Should I put the sides back farther but still facing each other?

SHould I put them in the corners facing the sweet spot?

SHould I put them high on the rear wall in 5.1 format?

Should I switch to RS7's on stands?

I'm thinking they are a little too directional at the moment. I heard a 5.1 system with RS7-like sides mounted close to the ceiling and the blend was much better.

My layout is similar to the Dolby photo (except one center instead of two in the rear). Listener to front speakers is 9' and 6' to sides and rear. The back of my chair is just in front of the speakers in the attached DOLBY photo and the side speakers are almost ear level sitting.

I'm thinking of moving the sides back about three feet or even wondering if I should put them in the rear corners. I tempted to try dipoles or something like them on stand placed where the sides speakers are drawn in the Dolby photo. Of course that's not really an option for Heritage and I like the timbre matching from sides to front.

My room is 16' wide and 20' long. You can see the pitched roof/side wall issue in the my photo.

dolby71.jpg

ht-bond.jpg

The chair is facing the TV--it just may look different in the photo.

The speakers currently face right at the listeners ears--right at the back of the chair. I've found that pushing them back along the side walls (image the side speakers in the photo being lower on the page) about three feet behind works better which begs the question why not the final three feet and put them in the corners?

The major tweaks are done and now I'm down to some of the smaller stuff. I've got 6 speakers and a sub and I'm still under $2k so I'm pretty happy. I think my next upgrade will be an SVS sub...

I thought about putting a $430 dlvd Academy on the center and making a full 7.1 system but couldn't justify the Academy vs saving for the sub.

Just kidding about the chair.

Hopefully by friday I will be getting mysecond set of RS-7s. After they are hooked up I will let you know how they are.

I had another set of old jbl monitors to test 7.1. Having a small room I noticed with out the WDST the seats near the speaker missed out on that sound. Hopefully the RS7s will solve this issue.

scott

• 2 weeks later...

Some acoustical treatment might help you avoid listening fatigue. Even with upholstered furniture and carpeting, your cabinets are dangerously close to major reflective surfaces, ruining any possible sound stage you are trying to create. You might try some sound absorbing foam or tapestry wrapped over building ductwork insulation (hard yellow stuff 3/4 thick) placed on the sloped ceilings above the mains and toward the listening position.

In terms of surrounds, as close as you are seated to the surround speakers, the efficiency of these may not be a problem, so I'd try the bipolar designs. You might also benefit from getting a real center channel speaker. I could not believe the difference when I added a RC7 to my Cornwalls (also 1976- open walnet style). i was using a Altec 7 12" three way design and the imaging was funny. the RC7 is amazing!

Michael