Anyone know a good relatively inexpensive Projector?

Scipio80

I have an empty room and was thinking of putting a home theater slash gaming room in their with the xbox game cube and ps2 and was thinking that if I could find a good projector for a reasonable price 500-800, maybe over a thousand if my one roommate chips in. This is just sticking my toe in the water for some ideas, any ideas would be great.

Check out this page on ebay. There are lots of InFocus projectors you can bid on. If you really want to get lots of help on this subject, I would recommend you skip on over to AVS Forum there are lots of projector folks over there.

I personally have the InFocus Screenplay 110. Very nice, but more expensive than what your wanting to play.

Oh don't bother clicking my link, my web server is turned off right now so you will just get a broken link page. 2.gif

Trey,

Do used CRT projectors loose there pic quality (brightness, etc.) over time? $4k for $21K CRT projector from 1997 seems like a decent deal if the quality of the unit is comparable to new. What kind of quality, life and reliability could one expect from a used projector?

Would a $4k CRT be better than a $4k new LCD? If the CRT is similar to original this might be a good deal.

I've been thinking of projectors but just don't perceive I would want to go with one under $7k. At $4k this would be an option. If I could come close to a RPTV then I would prefer the bigger size.

For new and ease of use the Sony does seem popular and at the price of an HD Ready RPTV.

For tweakers the used CRT route seems very interesting and more in the price of a new HDTV high-end RPTV $4K+. Fowler has one for $4k w/6500 hours. 10K hours+ is a typical life I've read.

The $4k CRT has been confirmed to be much better than any option new at that price assuming the used unit works as it should. Who knows what kind of issues a used unit will bring and about half the life has been consumed...

I've looked into this as well. If not for the fact that I am in a rental property, I would go the CRT in a heartbeat - but I must have a lightweight and more portable unit. Based on this, I'll be forced to wait until the lightweight DLP's get cheaper.

Strictly on a performance level, the CRT's seem the best for the dough right now.

• Klipsch Employees

Most of ED's stuff was gotten from big co's that are upgrading...The Sony 1271 I have came from Lilly med. co.

Had 1k hours on it and has been flawless. I think he can even give a warranty on some of his products. And a good guy to deal with.

The 10k Hours of life on tubs is what I have heard as well.

I understand that all type of units loose a bit with time.

I'm a little concerned about the degrogation of quality over time and if say 6500 hours of an avg 10K life span have been consumed how much of the original picture quality remains? The working unit may be operating an a reduced performance from it's original state and I would want to understand that by the time it hits 10k hours will I have gotten enough enjoyment to justify the cost. The unit at 10K hours may still work but how good will the picture look? I bet I could find some units to demo and get more info on this once I got real serious.

Thanks for the note on the broker. They probably can help some, too. There are a few folks near me that might be able to inspect the tubes and install the unit so this is a very tempting solution.

I thought I read that X% of brightness is lost every Y years. I'll dig into this concept further.

Regardless the AVSforum CRT folks seem keen on the idea of buying used CRTs as long as they are installed/callibrated correctly and the user has the space for the beast. The performance is described as jaw dropping.

The digital projectors have many happy owners and the value proposition of ease of use, small portability, and new. I'm going to audition these with a display about 80" wide and in a dark room to see what I think. I've seen $10k DLP projection on huge screens at stores but the room wasn't totally dark and the brighter the room to more gray the blacks. I haven't seen a digital projection system in these stores that impressed me for more than size. I kept looking over at the RPTV and Plasma TV and thinking big vs better quality. I probably haven't been giving projecting a fair demo since I don't need 100+" display and I can darken the room.

The used CRT vs new digital seems similar to new Taurus vs used B&W 7-Series.

Thanks for the comments.

I myself am looking for a projector as well has anyone ever owened or seen a BenQ DS650 or ay BenQ model of some sort. Just wondering how they compared to some of the low buget such as the z1 or other like it in the 1500 to 2500 price range preferably the lower end.

Thanks,

Phips

try projectorpeople.com, they have most brands and good discount pricing.

Myself, i went with a Canon 7105 obtained at a local photo store. It's XGA quality and works great with my computer for client presentations (I'm a photographer), but it has plugs for everything S-vid and component video for your HT setup. It's only drawback is 800 lumens, but it's only $3600 for awesome detial! I use it in a light controlled room on a 100" diag. screen and it's fantastic!