BIG IMPROVEMENT !!!!! WHY ?????

T2K

I have KSP300 fronts that have a 12" powered sub,a 6 1/2" mid,and a 1"driver w/horn.Each speaker has an LFE input and output and a line input and output for the sub,both with volume.I also have an SW12II that I have had for years that I have used with other speakers using a low level sub cable.Have had the sub set at 70hz and volume at 7 for years.Lately I bought two more sub cables and ran reciever sub out to left 300 line in. Left 300 line out to right 300 line in.Right 300 line out to SW12II line in.Reciever filter off,as always.All volumes and crossovers same

settings as before change. BOOM! Heck of a difference.My Technical Question is this:the SW12II subwoofer plays louder(more output)with what seems to be a better quality bass than ever before.Why? I was concerned that the speakers would strip off the signal from the line in and perhaps by the time the signal reached the sub it may not be as strong as it was straight from reciever to sub.Evidently I was wrong.Was using speaker wire to 300's prior to change with jumpers in

place.Had tried speaker wire in lieu of straps with no positive result.The difference

is not imaginary.My jaw dropped dropped after

the second note.I would experiment but right now I'm not touchin nuthin.Any and all comments or speculation will be appreciated.

Keith

I believe what you have experienced is the difference in signal level your receiver offers via its line level sub out. This is why we can never answer the FAQ: "what's the best way to hook up a subwoofer?" Electronics differ in the level and voltage swing available to drive the sub amp. I always suggest experimenting. In my KSP-400 system, I used both speaker level and line level simultaneously. Also used bi-wire and wire to replace the remaining jumper straps. It's all based on what you hear - or think you hear and don't let anybody tell you differently.

Other brands may not offer all the flexibility in connection Klipsch has provided in our subs or Powered Tower speakers. While this may add to the confusion of some users, it also allows the greatest range of options and sonic results.

BobG, Thank You for your input.Your answer is

about what I had in mind.Could check receiver specs against sub amp specs but I don't have the specs for the subwoofer amp. Does'nt matter much anyway now.I didn't know if maybe the 300 amp possibly boosted the line level signal or not.I do know that the SW12II has never performed better.My dad (musician since diapers)came by today and we basked in some good music and his comment was

"little too much bass".What a compliment!And in response to your comment about the confusion regarding Klipsch powered towers I have another question for you.A web friend of

mine recently purchased KSP400's.He has a KSPC6 center and another brand sub(JBL).He has a DD AV reciever with one sub out/no LFE.

He has been seemingly unhappy with performance.I'm about to suggest to him this scenerio:"Y" cord at reciever sub out to each

KSP400 low level input.Speaker wire L/R front

speaker A or B binding posts to sub high level inputs.And use your suggestion about substituting speaker wire in lieu of gold jumpers.Forget the LFE for now.Trying to help him just get some improvement,if for nothing else then just for the motivation.I know the capabilities of his speakers and am trying to help him enjoy his speakers to the max.Have any suggestions short of bi-wiring or tri-wiring?Thanks Bob,you're a good man. Problem is, there isn't much call for a good man nowdays!(Company Corporate byline where I work). biggrin.gif

Keith

BobG,pulling your leg on the last line,but this appeared in Company magazine last year at my place of employment:

"TO ERR IS HUMAN,TO FORGIVE IS NOT COMPANY POLICY".And THAT's NO joke!

Keith

keith it now looks to me like my ole rp-5 were modeled right after your ksp.

as for your friend, i'd always go w/ the ole

sub out to KSP LFE(unfiltered) Ins (daisy chain) then to JBL. then run biwires from the main speaker outs to the ksp high & low level speaker posts, or use wire bridges, or those purdy gold straps. cook to simmer.

maybe u could do it line level w/ his too. but when u say u turn off the receiver filter is that by sub:no? then you get no output from the sub out jacks (?) does your receiver allow u to turn off the filter to it's sub out jacks while still getting output? -

don't understand the receiver filter off comment. please advise.

boa,well my friends KSP400's does not have the line outs that my 300's have to daisy chain.In other words the 400's are tri-wireable and the 300's bi-wireable.Both have line in and LFE in,with volume control for each.The 300's have line out and LFE out.So the problem would be splitting the line level

or the LFE signal to feed both fronts and sub

on his 400's.BTW,got a premature opinion on the new speaker wire?

Keith

ttk, o-righty. i was curious what u meant by "receiver filter off as always" in your original post. anywho, sounds like the 400 may be a challenge w/ no line outs. guess u have to do all the splits from the sub out jack.

still awaiting delivery of the MC Biwire w/ Monster Locks & Monster Bananas biggrin.gif