Tough choice: 2.1 vs. 4.1 for dorm

GoG

]

Hi there, I've asked the question before when it wasn't quite at hand as it is now: I'm really struggling to opt for either the 4.1 or the 2.1's, and I just can't figure it out.

It's for my college dorm, which is like 3 x 4,5 meter (9 x 13,5 ft). Here's the deal, correct me if I'm wrong:

1. The 2.1's would deliver way more than enough volume to fill the entire room. In fact, even the 2.1's would be overkill.

2. The 4.1's create a better "soundstage". That is, as Paragon -I believe- put it, the sound doesn't just come from a certain point, it's everywhere; it's in your head. Also, DVD and gaming would be more immersive.

I would highly value all of your comments. Pretty please help me choose?

• Like 1

You summed it up pretty well yourself.

Yes, either system will put out room filling sound volume. Sometimes dorm furniture layout makes it tough to place rear speakers, but if you think you might use the system for 3D gaming or DVD playback, it's worth the extra effort to try and place the rearspeakers.

You might consider getting the 4.1 and either using or stowing away the rear channels for future use.

go for the 4.1's

------------------

- - - - - - -

box 1 - p3 1ghz, 384mb pc133, asus cusl2-c, sblive plat 5.1, anihilator 2 32mb gts, promedia 4.1, altec lansing acs48, tekram scsi card, (2) IBM SCSI hard drives, pioneer 16x dvd, teac 8x/32x cdr

box 2 - p3 667, 256mb pc100, asus cubx, (4) IBM 45gb hard drives, matrox g100

Get the 4.1's...that way if you ever have the extra room, you'll have the extra speakers.

------------------

CPU: AMD Thunderbird 1.33 GHz 266fsb AXIA / Mobo: Iwill KK266-R / Memory: 256MB Crucial PC133 CAS2 / Video: Elsa Gladiac 32MB GeForce 2 GTS / Hard Drives: Twin 30.0 GB IBM Deskstar 75GXP 7200rpm ATA100 (not running RAID at the moment) / CDRW: Plextor PlexWriter 16x/10x/40x, Plextor PlexWriter 8x/4x/32x / Sound Card: Sound Blaster Live! X-Gamer / Monitor: Sony G400 19" Trinitron / Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia v.2-400's (400w of THX-certified goodness) / Printer: Lexmark Z52 Professional Printer / NIC: Linksys 10/100 NIC / Modem: Viking 56k external (They keep telling me "DSL will be here in a few months...") / Mouse: Microsoft IntelliMouse Optical (the new, 33% faster one) / Keyboard: Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro (w/2 additional USB ports)