my wife says I am obsessed with audio.

Bruce802

Has anyones wifes/girlfriends told you that you are obsessed with audio? My wife just the other day said I think you are obsessed and need some help. Could this be true? I dont think its all that bad when everyone at Tweeter knows my name, and says, its my home away from home.

Bruce

If your wife saw all the components and speakers in my living room, she would likely say that I need immediate therapy. I do spend a good amount of time wheeling and dealing and searching the internet for desired components. However as previously stated it is healthier than bars and strip clubs. Plus I am investing the components hold their value better than a lap dance.

I have a tendency to visit my former workplace quite a bit, a locally based appliance/electronics retailer here in Indy. See what's new and chat with old friends. A few weeks ago, one of my friends at the store I visit told me that they can "pretty much set our watches by you...it's Saturday at 10AM and here comes Phil". I immediately thought of the many people like that over the years in retail I recall who came in all the time and never bought anything. Now I have an excuse to give my wife for buying something!

PhilH

Yeah, I've heard it too, but audio has been my main hobby for 33 years. Thankfully, my wife puts up with it. Here's why:

1. It keeps me home.

2. It's not a motorcycle (used to be my other main hobby)

3. I'm not down at the Gold Club stuffing $5.00 bills into some chick's G-string.

All hobbyists usually have, what would seem to others, some sort of obsession with their hobby. Whether it be wine collecting/tasting, stamp/coin collecting, photography, doll collecting (women, of course), cars, clothes, jewelry, or how about SHOPPING!!!!!.

In my wife's case, it's work. She puts in 60-70 hour weeks and what little free time she has is devoted to loosely related work stuff.

Hobbies are a great refuge from day to day work and make life interesting.

Mike

I do need professional help. Tweeter knows me by name and so on.

the only problem is I have other expensive hobbies, snow boarding, ice hockey about $200 a month not including equipment (equipment runs about 600/year) , mountain biking and the several yearly 4 day trips and equipment, various computer networks and Computers and xbox, and collecting vintage boston bruins stuff.

Now with HT I am driving her nuts but at least she know where I am at; ice rink - mountain - in the HT.

She tolerates me and that is why I love her.

You need help LOL, i walked into recycled audio like i owned the place!

Told them everything about Klipschorns, then dismantled them, and they didnt ever know they came apart!

They were like, whos this, the Klipsch god?

Ive got 4 Klipschorns, in a modified 2 bedroom modular home!

My wife says straight up, im obsessed with audio, no question about it!

Regards Jim

9.gif

I think the inlaws can be worse than the wifes. At least the wifes can see and hear the great stuff, but the inlaws just look at it all and say it is all a waste of money. My mother in law still isn't talking to me because I bought a sub. She thought I should have bought a bedroom set. What I have works fine. The bed is new and the clothes don't care what holds them at night.

Dan,

I couldn't agree more.... On one side of our family the women hate the HT concept but all the men are wicked into it. Most of her family's side hads the Integra line, I am the only deviant with the pioneer. Not to sound sexist but for the most part it seems HT is a guy thing.

Ahh this is why men invented malls...9.gif

Scott

Why don't the weman like the movies load. Even woman that listens to movies at my house always tells me to turn it down, while the men tell me to turn it up. I like it to sound like the movie's or better, isn't that the point to all of this stuff. To make it sound like it would be if you were there.

Dan,

For the most part HT is not for the love story movie but for the action flix. Let's look at XXX, lousy acting, mediocre story line, but action packed, not to mention the GTO. It's a guy thing.

For most women to admit they actually enjoy the HT experience would be like any of us admitting we actually watch the Lifetime channel.

Women want to turn it down because the men ae enjoying it. 9.gif

Now we can't have that can we?

My wife will watch Behind enemy lines on the regular TV but not in the HT.... go figure

scott

----------------

On 2/28/2003 1:00:42 PM Mike82 wrote:

Yeah, I've heard it too, but audio has been my main hobby for 33 years. Thankfully, my wife puts up with it. Here's why:

1. It keeps me home.

2. It's not a motorcycle (used to be my other main hobby)

3. I'm not down at the Gold Club stuffing $5.00 bills into some chick's G-string.

----------------

Yep, I'm addicted too! The audio habit got me down from owning 3-4 motorcycles at a time to only 2 now. At least I'm in the house more than I used to be (when it's raining or freezing outside). As for #3, using $1.00 bills goes a lot further and leaves more money for go-fast parts! 9.gif

My bettter half tolerates my hobby quite well actually. When the change from a sc1 center to the reference 3II center, she remarked " wow, what a difference ". I couldn't agree more. I was playing on the computer one night while she watched a movie sister act 2 I think. When the choir was singing on stage, the volume got real loud. I walked over and checked the volume. She had the volume cranked up to +3db on the receiver ! Her reply is that is sounded so good, she just kept turning it up !

----------------

On 3/1/2003 12:15:47 PM bruinsrme wrote:

..."My wife will watch Behind enemy lines on the regular TV but not in the HT...go figure."

scott

----------------

That does remind me of a previous female soldier I was seeing while stationed in Germany...she couldn't understand why I'd "blow my whole paycheck" as she put it, on stereo equipment...just to listen to music!

She was quite content listening to her country music on an old mono transistor AM radio she had on her desk at work, or on her equally ancient mono AM/FM radio/cassette player she had in her room in the co-ed barracks!

She was cute an' all (and good at other activities as well, he he...), but she didn't last long...she just didn't get it!7.gif

Bruce,

You dont have a real problem until you run out of space to put the new gear and have to walk around racks of gear.And second if the basement or locker is too full of crates and folded boxes. 1.gif

Me I have such a problem.Me I am an audio lunatic.The others here have just one room with some gear,me I have three rooms full of audio gear. LOL

Now I need therapy

When you will have 11 subwoofers(real ones),8 power amps(big ones),two pre/pro units and four CD/DVD players(not counting the many in my 3 PC's)you will really need therapy.I have over 2000 lbs of audio gear.Now who better?Only filthy rich audio freaks,who also need therapy

Music is a therapy

Now you're just a very normal audiophile,nothing to worry about.