Attention Rush fans (the band, not some drug)

m00n

First I want to say that I realize there is a Music and Movies section here on the form, however the webmaster moved it way out of the way and does not seem to get much attention anymore 15.gif.

Direct TV is going to be airing a free Rush concert throughout the month of March in their free concert area. I think they said the concert was recorded back in 1989.

Oh yeah... I love Rush... Well, pre Signals Rush. Signals was ok but after that they went kinda weird. It is my strong opinion that there will never be any other trio as powerful or as talanted as Rush.

"And the trees are all kept equal by hatchet axe and saw"

m00n,

I'd be interested to know what you think of "vapor trails" I think this is still rush's newest album.

I guess I'm not what you would call a big rush fan because I only have two of their albums(Vapor Trails and Moving Pictures).

Peace, Josh

I've got most of Rush's stuff on LP's and CD's but I bought the "Spirit of Radio Greatest Hits 1974-1987" CD because it has a good mixture of their music and the extra DVD. After listening it seems that these are remastered tracks, they're smoother than some of the versions on early CD's and definitely sound better. Now, if you want a real headache pump some early release Rush CD's really loud through a pair of Cornwall's driven by 70's era solid state equipment, although if you do your dog may disown you.

One of my favorite older Rush tracks to listen to is the live version of "What You're Doing" from the Chronicles LP. Hammered up to about 95 db with Klipschorns and tubes it's quite impressive. The bass line is a bit simplistic compared to their newer polyrhythmic tendencies but if you're having a coronary you can hit the volume button on the remote and do enough chest compression to get your heart out of arrhythmia.

The first album I ever bought was Moving Pictures. To say I'm a big Rush fan is an understatement. I have all of their albums but primarily listen to pre-Signals. I LOVE the early stuff, even Caress of Steel. I've always considered 2112, Farewell to Kings and Hemispheres to be my favorites with Fly by Night and Moving Pictures very close behind.

As for the newer stuff, I occasionally listen to Power Windows, Hold Your Fire and Counterparts. The others don't get a lot of play. A few great songs but as a whole, not as compelling as the older stuff.

BTW, I think 'The Camera Eye' from Moving Pictures is simultaneously one of their best and most overlooked songs.

----------------

On 3/1/2003 3:57:57 PM erdric wrote:

BTW, I think 'The Camera Eye' from Moving Pictures is simultaneously one of their best and most overlooked songs.

----------------

Wow, I had totally forgotten what that song even sounded like.

That is a good one but I'm still partial to "Vital Signs"1.gif

Peace, Josh

• Klipsch Employees

Moon,

You have just opened a big can of Canadian worms I have been a Rush fan from about 1977. I found Rush to be more my style than Zeppelin or Pink Floyd. Although, they are close behind.

While working at Sound Towne, (my first job selling Klipsch speakers, 1983) after receiving my tax refund, I went out and picked up every Rush LP that was released in the US at the time. I still have them all. They have only been played once., when I recorded them . I use a B&O turntable and a Dragon tape deck. I would love to get a turntable and get all that music on CD.

My favorite song is all of themIf I were to pick one, Closer to the Hart or Lime Light.

I just cant choose.

One of my favorite memories is of 2 friends and myself coming home for a weekend at the lake. Riding in my van, the one with more speakers than lights, doors, and sets all put together, we had Red barchetta going on the stereo. (As loud as it could go) Just as we came back into Hope and pulled into the Sonic, a Red Barchetta pulled in right next to usthe driver looked at us strangely as we all place our nose against the closest window, looking in disbelief at his car and my stereo. That was the only time that I have seen a Barchetta.

Trey, excellent story man! You know I don't have a favorite rush song. I have several that I can't choose which is my fav... Here are a few of my favs

Red Barchetta

Lime Light

Tom Sawyer

The Trees

Working Man

oh there are more indeed, but off the top of my head I am drawing a blank.

I love the drum solo from "All the World's a Stage" Neil Peart is nothing short of incredible. One of the best drummer's on the planet for certain. The beginning of YYZ when the chimes seem to bounce from channel to channel before the bass notes kick in is awesome. Bruinsrme I am in Vermont and I have enough speakers and power to make you feel like you are truly there! I can expand the dynamic range as well since some of the signal from DTV is compressed and with 5 adjustable bands of impact restoration the drums hit you in the chest like a rubber mallet. Love Rush, hard to collect all their albums they have so many! I do have a good amount of them though

Great story, Trey!

Other favorites of mine:

Beneath, Between and Behind

Rivendell (what can I say, I'm a big Lord of the Rings fan)

The Fountain of Lamneth (complete)

Tears

Xanadu

Cygnus X-1

Cygnus X-1 Book II (complete)

The Trees

La Villa Strangiato

The Spirit of Radio

Red Barchetta

The Camera Eye

The Analog Kid (great, great song)

I've obviously skipped some of the classics but if I didn't I'd be listing everything!

You know, it's kind of sad that I've only seen them once live. I stopped going to concerts when I was about 20 and the only chance I had to see them was on the Power Windows tour.

Wow, nice to see this post. I've been a huge rush fan since before I can remember. Since I was knee high to a June bug I guess. Had most of their stuff on lp or 8 track, all of it on cassette, all of it on cd, and about got most all of it in 20 bit remastered now. I have seen them live more times than I can remember. (that means at least once) Yep, I'm a huge fan.

I'd say there is some great music post Signals. But I guess thats jmho. Personally I think Grace under pressure, Presto, and Counterparts are three great albums. The rest have some good songs. The latest one (Vapor Trails) I just cant take seriously because there isn't a guitar solo on the whole dang thing. I'm sure I'll pick it up one day and get into it. Plus the sound quality leaves some to be desired. Especially for a Rush album.

The concert DirectTV is showing is the "A Show of hands" tour in which a live album was released also.(I am almost positive) The video has songs the lp doesnt have. Its pretty decent. Considering it isnt out on dvd its worth seeing for any true fan I'd say. Alex flat tears up "La Villa Strangiato" on it if memory serves me correct.(encore) Neil's solo is equally as impressive. Anyway its worth a look.

Btw didnt anyone see the Blue Oyster Cult or Phil Collins Freeview? I only saw half of Phil's but both were good. Very nice feature for dtv.

The "A Show of Hands" concert video was released on Laser disc (and VHS) in the early/mid 90's. Hopefully it will get released on DVD someday. It was no small task to obtain the Laser disc and remains about the only reason to keep that big player around.1.gif