cornwalls are home>questions

finaly finished remodeling my living room and picked up my home built cornwalls from my fathers home. while they were at my fathers i played with them abit, trying different receivers, wire and mods. i noticed then and now that the left c.w. is slitly louder than the right c.w. the right c.w. has a new k33, the left has a used k33. also one of them has a k77m and the other has a alnico tweeter. have'nt had the backs off yet since home. i think the problem is either the tweeters mis match or i wired one the crossover wrong. the crossovers have solen caps 5% metalized on tweet and mid. 14gage aircore inductors. waiting for my yamaha dvd to arrive, so all i have are old doors cassetts to listen to and what i notice is the tape hiss is deffenitely more noticable out of the left side. opinions welcomed thanks dave1.gif

Not to sound like a jerk stating the obvious... But just in case someone else reads this... Speaker connections red to + and black to -. That goes for your amp, too. LOL

(I do not claim to know everything about audio or speakers. I am 41, and have heard a lot of systems and setups. Some very cheap, to really outlandish megga bucs!! What I think, more importantly, is what do you like? Rather than reading or listening to some 18 yr. old kid in a hi end audio store be-little you, on what some test in a magazine has to say, is the best. Just my 2 cents.)

all connections and crossover wiring are correct. while i had the backs off i screwed and glued a 1.5"x1.5"x18" board diagonally directly behind the woofer to the back panel. i installed an alnico tweeter in the cornwall that had the k77m. now both CWs have alnicos. i noticed the new woofer is labled 4 ohm. the specs for CW list the speaker as 8 ohm. does anyone know whats up with this? i also noticed while playing tapes that the left vu meter shows more output than the right. could this be the reason for more output on the left side? in all, i'm very happy with their performance. the next time i feel like tweaking, i will replace the factory wire on the tweeters and squakers with analysis wire. later dave1.gif

It's pretty common for tape decks to be out of aligment, hence the level discrepency. Have the deck aligned if it's worth it to you, then NEVER use any auto reverse functions. Misalignment also can cause phasey/imaging anomalies.

bclarke420, yes your right, i discovered that a couple of days ago. i received my dvd player yesterday, now the off balance problem is gone, but now i have an issue with how bright those k57's are. i practically have to turn the treble control to the minus side, normally staight up. i will rewire those horns this weekend with analysis wire and see if that smoothens them out. later dave1.gif

Using a DVD player to play CD's will result in unusually bright response. I have yet to hear a DVD player that could do both well (DVD's & CD's) and I have heard quite a few. I would suggest purchasing a used midline CD player for CD playback you will be suprised! Hell borrow one and try it, there will be a difference!

Dave,

My 85 Cornwall I's have K57-K mid horns. I replaced the K77-M Tweeters with K77 Alnico's that I got from Q-Man. They were a better match to Vertical Horn II's. FWIW, to my ears the K-57's in the 85's are a bit more forward in their presentation than the K-55's in my earlier Cornwalls.

Wes

shapeshifter, when you say the horns are more forward, do you mean in your face or brighter? do you think rewireing the horns with different wire would smoothen them out abit? they don't get overwhelming until the volume knob is in the 11 oclock position. have you made any mods to yours? are you happy with them. please respond dave1.gif

Dave,

I wouldn't describe mine as sounding brighter to me. More like providing a bolder or stronger mid range kick to their delivery.

I don't consider mine as sounding bad, just different from the 71 Cornwall II's, especially when I had them in the HT setup. The tweeter change was made to match the those in the 71's before adding the Belles as fronts.

Wes

Hey Dave,

Congrats on your Cornwalls, I rescued a pair that lived through a home fire, damn things smelled like smoke for years, put played great after I got the woofers reconed!

Regarding the 4 vs 8 ohm markings, the individual components may vary in ohmmage, but the OVERALL NOMINAL impedence of the speakers system is 8 ohms as advertised.

Wait until you get a CD player and a reference CD to check your sound. Using old cassettes is a questionable test technique.

Regarding moving tweeters forward, my Cornwalls have the squawker (old Klipsch term for midrange) and tweeter mounted to the rear/inside of the front panel of the cabinet. Wouldn't there be some benefit to moving them to the front of the cabinet face to reduce diffraction effects of the 3/4 plywood ?? Has anyone done this? Would this be in like with Klipsch engineering for the Cornwall II?

Michael

dave,

What networks do you have? My 85 I's had the Type B-3's. The biggest improvement to me was switching them out.

The older Type B's are a really good improvement. The ALK networks for the Cornwall work equally well. Replacing the B-3's netted the best results for me. I had considered replacing the K57's with K55-V's, but after changing the crossovers I don't feel the need to.

Wes

shapeshifter, my networks are the B network. not shure if you know, but i built my cornwalls with lumber from lowe's, parts from ebay and a old pair of heresy's. my networks were E's. i just changed the caps with solen metalized %5 and bought new air core inductors. the autoformers are from the heresy's. i just changed the horn wires, both tweet and mid with analysis wire. some here may say i'm crazy, but WOW what a difference that made. i did one speaker at a time to compare so i know i'm not hearing things. the difference was in the detail. they sounded good before, but now sound more clear with better detail. i will post about it under odds and mods. later dave1.gif

ShapeShifter,

I changed my K-52-H with the K-55-V and the mids are little less compressed now...

I did the same crossover upgrade with my "CORWALLS" and i prefer the "type B" crossover over the "type B3". the sound is more natural with a "little" more bases and a more natural highs. maybe the highs roll-off a bit...

Mopar dave,

The hiqhs and mids are from the "HERESY"?! I hope you don't forget to change the K700 horn with the K600 horn that are from the "CORNWALLS"...

Have a good day every one!

PS: sorry for my bad english.

• Like 1

----------------

On 3/15/2003 2:51:06 PM colterphoto1 wrote:

Hey Dave,

Congrats on your Cornwalls, I rescued a pair that lived through a home fire, damn things smelled like smoke for years, put played great after I got the woofers reconed!

Michael

----------------

Michael - wow - mine went through an apartment fire - But after refinishing they were good as new.

and Dave... congrats!