Original Rega Planet party on Audiogon!!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You said it, Mike (your handle and avatar have reached ultimate plateau). This place has really changed in the last few months. I find myself venturing in here less and less. And many of the original guys are gone, listening to music or perhaps making a more beneficial use of their time.

The only reason I come back in here is to see when you get those damn Cornwalls! heh...

kh

I'll PM ya when I get them, Kelly.

It's a free country, Parrot.

I'll post where I please.

And like Mediocre man and Synth said, there isn't jack for SACD material.

Call me a DIY hack who listens to cobbled up 40 year old tube garbage on junk speakers, I really don't care.

'Cause I can learn more on one day from the Joelist than from a million years on this Forum.

Later.

And here you have the great thing about used audio. Yesterday's top flight is today's old news. I predict a host of 18-20bit machines of quality will be going used while the people wanting the latest go that route. Another nice player that is going down in price is the Meridian 508-20 (the 508-24 is more $$$). Both of those players are very nice sounding. I actually think the 20bit is the better deal but both are very smooth. They deserve the praise. Still, you dont see them used too often.

Still, I do think the Meridian 508-20 is a better player than the Planet but more costly and not as good ergonomics. But if you see a Meridian 508 at a good price, it's a VERY nice, smooth, CDP that merges resolution without digital negatives (more than most, that is).

kh

and offered, pending committment that it meets the advertised Audiogon 8/10 rating. I read that, it's pretty tough. Comes with original box, manual and remote. He's selling it because he no longer owns the second home he bought it for. He owns two of them, one for each system.

Tom

----------------

On 3/4/2003 11:48:28 PM We, the mediocre wrote:

You said it, Mike (your handle and avatar have reached ultimate plateau). This place has really changed in the last few months. I find myself venturing in here less and less. And many of the original guys are gone, listening to music or perhaps making a more beneficial use of their time.

The only reason I come back in here is to see when you get those damn Cornwalls! heh...

kh
----------------

KH: I like the new moniker. You are right about the above. I find myself lurking and reading, and less posting, and certainly listening to MORE music. My system has evolved soooo much in 2 1/2 years, but I pretty much have settled down now and am content to listen and do tweak here and there. I know several of my Nor. Calif. Klipsch neighbors are doing the same.

And since I sold my Jolida tube CD player, if I did not already have my tweaked Musical Fidelity player, I would be all over one of those Rega's!

And besides, when it gets down to someone sniping about how and how many edits someone does to a posting, well, geeezzzeeee. Get a life!

Jobman

oops, I edited the post - my bad

Jobman,

Sorry that you don't understand my post about Kelly editing. He didn't just fix a misspelled word, or decide to change a semicolon to a period. He changed matters of substance that I was replying to, faster than I could reply. Then he lied about it. Comprehend now?

I dont get called a liar very often if ever. Frankly, you have been a virtual boar on the forum this eve. Most of your posts have held little content and more accusations. And when someone takes the time to answer your weak claims, you come back with more accusations, leaving the comments pertaining to the gear to the wayside.

What is your system? Have you heard the Rega Planet (no)? Most importantly, what CD players have you compared with your SACD machine? Which model do you have? What music do you listen to? I mostly just see a lot of innuendo and low grade arguing. I really dont even know what you are listening to nor what it's on.

And lastly, what did I specifically say in my post that I changed or edited that changed the content drastically?

kh

What is this forum coming to? It's supposed to be an exchange of information and ideas, not a sniping contest. I don't know what artto or paulparrot's problem with Kelly is but it was uncalled for in this thread. Dndphishin starts a good topic in an attempt to help everyone interested in a Rega Planet out and the FIRST response to it is an insult to Kelly, and he hadn't even posted in the thread yet. As for "get a life dude" it seems to me that y'all two are the ones in need of artificial respiration. Are you really soliciting information or just jonesing for an argument? Who gives a rodents rectum if someone edits his posts to correct something, and who the hell elected you the official "post edit counter"? Just for your information, this isn't the Argument Clinic, although Getting Hit On The Head Lessons may be in order. We the mediocre hardly needs me to defend him but this thread was starting to sound like a junior high school lunchroom. Suck it up!

For anyone interested in an original Rega Planet, $350 or so is an excellent deal on a first class player. I really like the one I have and even though my Nak Dragon does sound better I find myself listening to the Planet very regularly. The top loading door is fast and convenient, no waiting for a drawer mechanism necessary. Compared to an older top-of-the-line Sony I used to use the Planet is much smoother sounding and pleasant to listen to, the Burr-Brown Delta Sigma DAC does a good job of holding down the brightness. Overall, it's quite a nice sounding machine and a bargain at it's current price point. As long as you get one that's been taken care of the Planet is a very reliable unit.

As for the SACD subject, I kept all of my vinyl but years ago ending up buying most of the music again on CD for the sake of convenience. I have little interest in buying my favorite music a THIRD time. Once the SACD vs. DVD-A war gets sorted out I might consider a different format, but not any time soon. So far, there's still lots of good used vinyl around to scrounge.

Thanks for the comments, Curmudgeon (also one of the top names on this forum). I made the mistake of taking the bait in this thread even though I tried to ignore that first post, a poster that is still smarting from a debate we had over a month ago concerning speaker placement among other things. I usually dont respond. And here I am wasting about two or three more posts bantering with Paulparrot. I should have stuck to the subject.

What I really wanted to inquire about was your Nakamichi Dragon CD, a player that is extremely rare to see, let along hear. What made you get this player? It's a beast for sure and appears to be Nak's no-holds barred assault. Just looking at the chassis tells you something - this makes those Wadia players look pedestrian. IS yours the 24bit version naturally or do you have the older model upgraded? I seem to remember them having several versions although I may be confusing this model. Doesnt it have several chassis including a disk bank?

I doubt many people within here have seen one.

kh

We the mediokra, 9.gif

I bought this thing because I had seen it years ago and always sorta lusted after it. I have always liked Nak equipment and respected their ability to build electro-mechanical components, old Niro is a smart SOB. Most high-end players are single CD units and it seems like Nak decided that they were going to build a true high-end multi-disc unit just to buck the trend. The one I have is a factory version 96/24 DAC, one of the later production units made in 2000 before the company got into financial straits. It was originally only available in Asia territories, not too many were imported into the US. I got a good price on it from a dealer closeout, and Nakamichi sent me a nice packet with all kinds of background info on it.

The unit is very well built, the finish on the wood and paint on the chassis is baby-butt smooth. Of all the stereo stuff I own this has the highest quality of fit & finish, even the underside of the chassis is as shiny as the other sides. It comes in three separate chassis: a controller with power supply, the disc mechanism, and the DAC. The DAC is in the same type of chassis as the disc mech, the DAC board is mounted to a 4-5 mm thick slab of aluminum and floats several ways on an internal suspension. Both disc & DAC chassis are heavy aluminum and have screw-tight sealed doors, it's supposed to isolate vibration from the floor and also from air pressure waves. It uses a 7-disc version of their Musicbank mechanism for disc storage, and loading a CD is hilarious to watch. When you put a disc in the drawer and push the button to close it the tray starts to close and then shakes back & forth, then closes the rest of the way. This is designed to center the CD in case you didn't put in in the drawer slot correctly. The design is definitely overkill. As for sound, it's very smooth but detailed, neither harsh nor overly warm. It has very basic control features, it will do random and repeat but no programming or anything fancy. And no HDCD. One nice thing is it has a digital input switch so that you can use the Nak transport or run another player via coax through the Nak's DAC. My local Linn/Levinson dealer wants me to bring it in to do a comparison with a ML 390S and a Linn CD12, but so far I've been too lazy to break it down and bring it in. Could make for an interesting listening session, though. My guess is it will take the ML but may not hang with the CD12. Well, gotta go for now - it's 3:22 am & my eyes are crossing. AND I gotta get up at 7:00 am.

nak_dragon_cd.jpg

I have a poor cousin of this thing, an MB-1s. It's a 7 disc changer with remote. Since the day I got it I wondered why it did that little shuffle-step when closing the drawer. Amazing the things I learn on here. I thought it was defective at first, I called the dealer, they "No, that's normal". "Duh, OK." quoth I. It's quick and quiet about changing discs. I also have a Nak AV-400 receiver. It has the digital input for the deck, maybe I'll get off my duff and install the cable/fiber optic link thing, see if it plays good. It's a typical squalid state deal, 100W of high current fan cooled amp hitting a set of Heresy's, can't turn it past one on the vol pot without the neighbors knowing about it. Sounds kind of harsh to me. The tele-Scott is much better.

Tom