Original Rega Planet party on Audiogon!!

Chris, and others:

What exactly do you not understand about the edits? Kelly changed substance to his posts after I replied to the original posts. He did not change spelling, grammar, etc. I have said this three times or so and am real perplexed that people keep having the same response.

This is akin to what 60 Minutes has been documented on doing on occasion: Refilming the question by Mike Wallace or whomever and insert editing into the interview. Then the person being interviewed is responding to something he was never asked.

Now purely for exaggerated example: With editing, I could say that you are a f***ing jerk. Then when you replied, I could change my post to say that you are a great guy. Then people would wonder what was up with your nasty response. Changing substance after the fact is dishonest. That is why some bulletin boards do not allow editing after a post, or only for a few minutes.

Kelly did not *drastically* alter his posts, but he did change them enough, and he did it after I pointed it out to him. Guess that's just part of Kelly's ol' charm, eh?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is getting as bad as the rant exchange in the thread" "My Daughter was Deployed....". Like that thread, it started out with the best of intentions, but degenerated quickly. I'm sorry to say I was a part of that

Can't we all just get along?

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought a Rega Planet. It is on the way. Will be interesting to compare with my Denon unit. Time to see for myself if all the praise is worth it.

Will be buying a tube amp within a few weeks. I'll see how the Forte's do with tubes and Rega!

MM

Boy I meant to post this when someone asked the question...maybe it is somewhere in this thread. I'm gonna spare myself the self-flagellation and not read through it again to find out. Anyway, I have both the original Rega Planet and the Sony 9000es. My impression is that the Planet is a superb unit. ESPECIALLY for the fairly low investment. Nothing does my cds better, especially the older ones. It does tend to round out the digital edge. It is a very musical presentation...not as engaging as vinyl, but quite good. That said, the sony unit does a SUPRISINGLY good job of hanging with the Planet. I easily give the nod to Rega, but not by a landslide. I would say that my sacd's on the sony sound a step above the Rega. This, in my opinion, is a tough call. Where the Rega sounds warm, the sony sacd sounds precise. Not at all sterile, but just a bit edgier than the Rega. I would call them different to be sure, and enjoyable in their own ways. Bear in mind I have few sacds (tho I would like more)and my results may certainly be the product of the particular recordings.

Would I choose sacd over cd. No way. I would get the best cd player I could afford first if only to properly service my cd collection. I mean it's like 700 cds to 17 or 18 sacds. That is a no-brainer. If you want to shoot the middle, I say the sony is a good option (at good prices on audiogon). Then again I have only heard one other sacd unit. A final thought on the sacd units - I believe Mallet recently posted something about sacd being rendered irrelevant by the newer pc sound cards. I have no idea what he means but it is something that I would check out before sinking high cash into a new unit.

Back on the first page of this topic I posted that I had offered on a unit on Audiogon. I was able to close that deal that night, the unit showed up yesterday and it is pristine. Looks new to me, I can't see a trace of "used" on it. $350 shipped with the original box, manual and remote. I'll get time this weekend (my weekend starts on Sunday) to get it set up, looking forward to a listen. That top loader lid deal is cool, nice to have something a little different. This was sort of a spur of the moment deal for me, I usually don't do that sort of thing but it'll be fun to see what this thing is like.

Tom

Tom,

the Rega Planet is a very good player, you would need to spend many times that amount to get even a marginal improvement.

It does benefit from good cables.

You may be off the improved source merry-go-round for a while now.

I heard SACD a long while ago, the Sony CD-1, and while it wasn't in my system or even a system up to par (just some crummy Martin Logans and Krell stuff) the sound was very very good. The best I'd heard in digital for a long while. But I wouldn't get it for the SACD source; that would be another huge hole to drop money into. The Redbook player mode on the CD-1 was exceptional too. But I think the cheaper marketplace variety of SACD player won't do justice to Redbook, let alone SACD. Format alone cannot guarantee good results.

Someone who has actually compared the Rega to the 9000 -- very cool.

Kev, if you don't mind -- could you tell me a little about the rest of your system? I'm curious about interconnects too.

I would imagine you do have the 9000's filter setting set to 'soft'?

Yes, I did say something about SACD being rendered irrelavent by higher sample rates. That's not a jab at SACD, simply my HO that while SACD helps with certain issues compared to redbook, it doesn't really address getting to analog-like resolutions such as 24/196.

Further, compared to what is available for transfer from analog sources or what is available on CD, the SACD collection is pretty small and worther only of investment if you have money to burn. If I there were an reasonable way to MAKE SACD's, I might have a little different opinion...though not much, since they are not playable (If I understand correctly...no direct experience them) on regular CD players.

Can they be extracted to HDD?

Dave

Well, I got the Rega cranked up in the living room today. It's hooked up to the gorgeous "all Telefunken, all the time" Scott 222C I got from Pland, output is my pair of virginal 77 Heresys. first impression: This thing is nice, real nice. My other CD player is a Nakamichi MB-1s changer, pretty nice consumer grade unit. It's got a Nak 20-bit DAC and sounds pretty good. However, the Rega blows it away completely. More detail, lots more. Typical deal: I've got a tune on a Santana CD where there's some cymbals stuff going on behind the volcalist. I have to turn it up loud to bring out this detail on the Nak, for a long time time I didn't even realize it was there. It's plain as day at much lower lever on the Rega. More detail in the bass too. I've got a Blind Boys CD that starts out with a guy using an upright double bass pretty hard. There's more detail to the sound, I can hear more detail where's he's working the strings to get tremolo effect. More music, less volume needed to hear it. works for me.

More image, lots more. I can get that effect where the speakers seem to disappear much more easily. My room and speaker placement are really limited, so I have a tough time getting the soundstage stuff to come up, but it does noticeably better with the Rega.

Gotta get out get some batteries for the remote.

Overall, it's just a lot easier to get involved in the music and forget about the system. That's what I'm after. Also, due to my family and a small house I'm really into anything that makes the music nicer at comparatively low levels. I don't have the option of cranking the snot out of it all the time.

Tom (short on flowery audiophile language, I know. But WTF....)

Tom

I'll second the opinion that the Rega is a bargan. I found one on Audiogon about a month ago. It came with box, manual and remote. Original owner. I offered $350 including shipping and he accepted.

Now, I don't have the ultra sensitive ears or experience that many here have, but I can tell you that it does sound really fine paired with my HF-81. In fact, after having listened to some expensive high-end stuff at an audio store I can't say for certain that I would prefer the expensive equipment if they were to offer an even swap. Seems to me they're focused on increments of detail but it's lacking tonality and character. I'd almost buy another one at that price just in case I decide to start a second system.

J.