speaking of Velodyne sub hummm

boa12

i'm getting a faint 60 hz hum from my Velodyne HGS-15 when it's just on & the interconnects are disconnected. when connected to the receiver it gets louder where I can hear it about 15 ft. away if there is no other sound. i've read like under audioreview that this is just the way at least the Vel hgs-15 is & Vel is in denial over it. i've tried many fixes & have it hooked ac-wise w/ the 3-2 prong adapter to a surge protector w/ some noise filtering. I can live w/ it since whenever the sub is on there is usually a lot of other sound in the room & of course no audible hum. but just curious if anyone else gets this w/ their sub & especially velodyne &/or their hgs series. ???

------------------

Sony de935 a/v receiver

Sony DVP-C650D dvdp

RF-3 (front)

RC-3

Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-15 sub

rock on!

My first thought would be a power issue, but it sounds like you've got that covered already...

My second thought would be that there is something there throwing off electrical noise. I had a halogen floor lamp next to my KLF-30's, and with everything off (even with the speaker cable disconnected), i would get a low freq. hum... It drove me batty until i turned the light off and everything was ok.

Needless to say, the light moved smile.gif

I'm not really familiar with that sub, but i can only assume it has a gain control of some type, what happens if you turn it up or down?

-Rich

that's funny I do have a halogen plugged into the same outlet/surge unit. tryed it turned off, but still hum. it does get louder when I turn up the sub output, especially above 6. it sounds like a moter/fan hum, like air flowing at 60 hz. nothing really bad though. especially w/ the output/volume down. thanks mon.

------------------

Sony de935 a/v receiver

Sony DVP-C650D dvdp

RF-3 (front)

RC-3

Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-15 sub

rock on!

If you go to Radio Shack and get a couple of RCA cable ends ( just the connector), open them up and pinch the center signal post into solid contact with the ground part. Use solder if you wish.

Then plug these into the inputs of the sub, which basically grounds the inputs. If the sub STILL hums, there is severe power line noise or the sub is defective. Move the sub to another room & branch from the fuse box, or (preferably) to another's house for a bit to eliminate power line noise as the cause.

Charlie

That's a bummer Boa12. I have an HGS 12 an it's dead quiet. I have an older house with mostly 2 prong plugins so I use a 2 to 3 way adapter for my subs ground.

The HGS lines all have the same amps so I would imagine a hum for one would be a hum for all. Let us know what you find out.

rw, i was afraid u might say that smile.gif maybe it's just the 15 - some audioreviews for the 15 do mention it.

spider, could I do that w/ my existing monster cable jacks?

------------------

RF-3 (front), RC-3, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-15 sub

Monsterbass 400 sub cables & Monster Z12

Sony de935 a/v receiver

Sony DVP-C650D dvdp

Sony Trinitron 27" tv

Technics dual cassette deck

Technics direct drive turntable

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable set-top box

rock on!

boa, the idea is just to connect the center pole of the RCA input to the ground ring of the RCA input, thus grounding the input out.

The easiest way to do this is to get a couple of male connector ends intended for use on cables and connect the two solder posts inside, but there are other ways to do it.

The idea is if the inputs are grounded and you still get hum, as I said before, either the amp is damaged or there is an immense amount of noise on the AC lines.

Charlie

• 4 weeks later...

Boa,

I assume you have a cable box hooked-up.

They're notorious for passing AC hum to the rest of a surround system. Check it out as a last resort.

I have the Velodyne 18"er and it hummed, but a non-grounded 2 prong adapter fixed it. Try breaking the RCA ground on one side of a suspected interconnect as an alternate fix.

Good Luck / Ken

yea ken i do have the digital set-top box attached to the receiver digital coax input.

i put my ear by the fsr-18 at the dealer & heard the same light hum (like air flowing).

figure it's somewhat typical then & it's only audible really right at the sub cone.

how does 1 go about breaking the rca ground though? thanks for your help.

------------------

RF-3 (front), RC-3, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-15 sub

Monsterbass 400 sub cables & Monster Z-12 speak wire

Sony de935 a/v receiver

Sony DVP-C650D dvdp

Sony Trinitron 27" tv

Technics dual cassette deck

Technics direct drive turntable

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

rock on!

• 7 years later...

I've seen/heard this before. It was caused by open ground from AV cable signal. Instant soluction was to connect a ground wire to the A/V splitter and sufficient ground location on receiver/amp/or preamp. Likewise dimmers turned all the way up can also inject this kind of noise -- just dim the lights a little...makes for better listening anyhow. I'll never forget that Boston concert in Atlanta when they turned up the houselights for the playing of Longtime -- really killed the mood. Good luck, klipschfan