Warmest SS reciever

bobd

I have Forte I's and am driving them with a Yamaha RX777 reciver. It seems bright and harsh to me. Thinking of either the Margules ADE-24 or if I'm going to stick with a SS reciever for now, which reciever is considered to be warm sounding? Rotel? NAD? Nakamichi?

When I bought the RX777 I was listening to Cambridge Soundworks speakers. I had just returned a Nakamichi RE-10 becuase it sounded almost too dead or too muffled on those speakers. When I got the Forte's back the Yamaha sounded a little too bright. I'm starting to think the Nakamichi would have been a better match. What do you all think?

Well you might try a HK430 its cheap and more than a few of us say its a good reciever.It doesn't get very warm while rockin the house with my Scalas..lol...i know ...wude huh.....but you can usually get one on e-bay for a good price.Its worth a try ,dont you think.Well im sure others will post on this so lets just leave it there,,,,rick10.gif

OK...time to post something serious here...since this guy decided to open up this "can of worms"...LOL!

First of all...it is JUST AS IMPORTANT that the upstream electronics from the particular receiver have "warmth" as it is that the receiver itself has "warmth". Then, of course, it is important that the speakers can have "warmth". So, the manner in which you actually asked the question automatically leaves all of this wide-open to a HUGE variety of responses, many of which will not necessarily really APPLY to a proper answer for you!

That being said...in reference to the previously-mentioned twin-powered receiver models in the H/K "x"30 series...for the LOW PRICE one can OFTEN get these for on eBay...they are capable of providing good "warmth" providing everything else in the stream of electrons is ALSO able to do so! Pretty simple. These models of this series( 430, 630, 730, 930), in good working order, will be inexpensive alternatives to other models from other manufacturers that MAY or MAY NOT exceed them in "warmth"...and they will ALSO beat out a considerable number of receivers, both old and new in various price ranges in their "warmth" abilities, providing everything else in the electron flow is also "warm". By no means am I saying that they are the "warmest"...just that they are "warm". Keep in mind that relative perceived "warmth" lays in the ears of the beholder, though.

Thanks for the response. I guess what I'm looking for is a less harsh sound out of my system. The Yamaha stuff just seems to be a bad match for the high resolution of the Forte speakers. I was thinking either that ADE-24 or a different reciever might help but I can see know that the CD player is probably having a part in the harshness.

The more I think about this the more I lean towards a Musical Fidelity X10-D or a Margules Magenta ADE-24. I just bought the Yamaha RX-777 so I really can't spend too much and all I really want(for now anyway) is to smooth over some of the harshness on this system. I don't have a very high-end CD player so I bet one of these DAC's will have a substantial effect on the sound. At least that seems to be the consensus about these 2 units. Good for a cheap CD player but not too effective on an already good player.

I'm trying to warm up my cornwalls, too. My current persciption is:

1. vinyl and a better turntable...my current low-end TT's aren't as bright and harsh as CDs but not good quality.

2. Warm CD player...my Toshiba DVD is the brightest with my Sony ES CD a little better but not much. The Rega Planet is supposed to be a great warm CD player.

3. amplification -- I have a Dyanco ST-70 and Outlaw 1050. I'm going to hook up my tube Dyanaco PAS3 and see if that helps but I need to get it back from the shop.

4. The I'll see how bright the system sounds.

Have you heard Klipsch speakers that provide the sound you are looking for? The last resort is to look at more laid-back speakers like Vienna Acoustics Beethovens for around $2500 used.

I don't know if this helps but,

I am using tubes. My Rega CD player died and I had to put my old Onkyo CD player back into my system. Powered it up and the sound was harsh. Hurt my ears after listening to 1 CD.

There are members that like the rec you have.

I would really look into the CD player and Interconnects between the player and your amp.

The front end makes a difference.

Good Luck and don't throw alot of money away.

Danny

hi Bobd

The nicest SS reciever i have heard."at any price is the Mcintosh MAC4200,@75wpc.

Audio classics usually have em ,you might want to see the website re:price it varies.

www.audioclassics.com

a little more expensive off the top, but i guarantee its one of the last 2ch units you'll

ever need to buy(if u do sell,MC retains value

My 2ND choice would be any of the H/K 430-730