Inspect your Klipsches BEFORE you Leave the Store!

Mr. Blorry

I just upgraded my KLF 20s to KLF 30s per my K dealer's upgrade policy. Hoo-Hoo! What a difference! I've only had them for three days, but I can tell they will blow the 20s away! Now, the 20s still sound better overall, but they have had five months worth of break-in, and the 30s are still in their diapers. No matter. I can already hear and feel the difference, and I'm excited about the prospect of how they will sound. I may not get that enjoyment for a while however, because of two flaws I found; one on each speaker. My K dealer is going to look into replacing both 30s with new ones, but I won't accept them blindly this time. I will have them open the boxes so I can examine them before I lug these monsters home again.

As the warehouse guy loads my 30s into my car, I notice the horrible shape of the cardboard boxes! These things look like they were tossed around like a rag doll in the back of the truck! The cardboard was filthy, there were heavy scuffs along the sides, and most importantly, the entire box had more of a rounded shape than the normal sharp angles one sees with a new cardboard box. One speaker appeared to be unscathed, but the other had damage to the veneer, where the Styrofoam forms contact the top of the cabinet. The plastic bag was unharmed, and the forms themselves looked uninjured. Considering the "crunched" shape of the packing box, it looks like these guys were laid down on their sides, and other stuff was placed on top. As the cartons were transported across the US, it appears they shifted, slid and banged their way all over the inside of the truck. Where are the "Fragile" labels? I couldn't find the word anywhere on the box! If Klipsch speakers were shipped in aircraft (Anvil)cases or even wooden cases, I may be able to feel secure enough that the speakers would arrive unblemished without the Fragile tag, but not with cardboard--at least not THIS cardboard!

Like I said, I have been running these bad boys for three days, and they sound fantastic. I am not displeased with my choice whatsoever. I am however, worried about the future. MDeneen pointed out the lack of adequate internal bracing in the now famous "Sad Report Card" thread a few months ago. I wonder if my 30s were weakened by the thrashing they received as they were being delivered; stress damage may not become apparent for a month or even a year down the road.

This brings me to my second (and final) beef. Per the recommendations of other KLF 30 owners on this BBS, I did a careful examination of both speakers, much more so than I did with my KLF 20s. I also performed an equally intensive inspection of my C7. I noticed that several of the screws that hold in the 12" woofers were not completely tight, and I could see those screws working their way loose over time. What I saw next really surprised me. Philips screwdriver in hand, I was testing the tightness of the woofer screws when I came across one that was so badly stripped, that a regular screwdriver may not be able to remove it. Upon closer examination, it appears that the screw was inserted at an angle rather than perpendicular, and then driven home with a powered screwdriver. This wouldn't have happened if the worker was using a hand screwdriver, because it would have been too difficult to turn. I don't fault anyone for using power tools to speed the assembly process, unless it is at the expense of quality. I'm amazed this passed by the QA inspector, because the angle of entry into the wood is so acute that may have begun a split in the wood, and as with the obvious jostling around my poor 30s had to endure on their trek across this great land, the consequences of the careless workmanship and handling may not become apparent for quite some time.

I feel so much better that I purchased my Klipsch at a "brick and mortar" rather than over the net because the folks at Rowe Photo in Rochester, NY have been extremely helpful and understanding. We will open the boxes of the new 30s and check them with a fine tooth comb. If they're up to snuff, fine. If they're not, I'm not sure what I'll do. I can't afford La Scalas, and Heresys are too small. Maybe Klipsch would hand make a pair of KLF 30s just for me? Yeah, right.

In sum, Klipsch buyers beware! If you're going to sink hundreds of dollars into their speakers, don't buy then online, and check them over thoroughly before you leave the store. You'll be glad you did.

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd post a follow-up to my micro-ordeal. Rather than giving me a discount on the KLF 30s like I had hoped, my friendly K-dealer IS going to replace them with spankin' new 30s. The flaws are so minor That I'm going to look like a really picky SOB when I bring them in! I can certainly live with these minor flaws; I just didn't want to pay full price, that's all! My K-dealer may have a point though--there could be more damage than what is visible considering the condition of the packing boxes. I will say that if anyone is interested in a pair of nearly pristine mahogany KLF 30s, I'll bet my dealer will resell them in their "previously enjoyed" department of the store, and at a reduced price. This is providing that they won't return them to Hope for a refund. If anybody's interested, and is willing to drive to Rochester, NY, lemme know, and I'll let you know when I'll be doing the switcheroo. Any just for giggles & grins, anybody out there know if K dealers return defective merchandise to Hope?

Mr. Blorry, I tried to buy a pair of speakers

(demos)from a dealer that had a "blown woofer

and crossover" but he said he wouldn't sell. He said he was going to return them to Klipsch.What happened to them after that is a mystery to me.

Keith