explain Bi-wire??

colterphoto1

Actually, as I was writing about the bi-wire cable.........I realized they were more expensive than I was originally thinking heh I was thinking it was more like 15% difference.....but was actually thinking about something else...and just decided to put that comment in anyway lol

But, in all honesty, my whole point was that bi-wire cables aren't "special" or expensive cables. They're basically the same cable that you're buying anyway, only with two pairs of wires instead of just one.....for half the cost more.

And the comment about the MIT cables.........I don't think anyone in this forum is going to be spending $1000 for any cable. I see where you're going with that comment, but I think most of us here would be spending less than $100.

Also, colorphoto.....you are right about the posts not being labeled. I agree that they should be, and be better documented. They are physically lined up, though. The upper set is the high pair, and the lower is the low pass. You could do a simple test by plugging up a set of wires across two of the terminals and see which speakers you can hear.

Did we ever figure out how the posts are configured inside the speaker, and through the crossover?

Riddle me this:

Is biwiring a 200 watt per channel amp equivalent to passive bi-amping a two 100 watt versions of that same amp? Seems like it is... I'm passive biamping 2 adcom 100 watt amps, and I lose sleep wondering if this is the same as running the identical 200 watt version of the same amp. Last night when thinking about this I almost pee'd my pants.

• 3 months later...

I biwired my rf5's last night. Didn't get a chance to try it out until now.

ignore my previous comment about losing volume. I had att. the front by -10 db. for night time listening and forgot. BUT I did make my comparison with both sets of cable at this setting.

Cannot really tell if it sounds better becuase of the biwire or the new wire.

But there is a little more crispness. But seems I lost something...

I removed Monster XP that was like 9 years old.

Replaced with (rat-shack) Monster XP that I made into biwire.

Any Thoughts?

Chris

----------------

On 12/26/2004 11:38:53 AM illthreat wrote:

I biwired my rf5's last night. Didn't get a chance to try it out until now.

It appears as if I lost a bit of volume? IOW, I have to turn my receiver up higher.

Cannot really tell if it sounds better becuase of the biwire or the new wire.

But there is a little more crispness. But seems I lost something...

I removed Monster XP that was like 9 years old.

Replaced with (rat-shack) Monster XP that I made into biwire.

Any Thoughts?

Chris

----------------

after reading most of the way through this thread a would have to say

(1) snort some coke

(2) smoke some weed

(3) grind up some doggy downers and dust your woofers

2.gif6.gif2.gif6.gif

and give it another listen

or you might just check to see that all your wires are "fazed"

jay

• 3 weeks later...

Dont feel bad! Many of us have a hard time logically justifying the subjective emotional, often non-reproducible results many claim for this technique! This is a case of the classic cable debate on steroids! And the physics claims (burn the witch!) are only anecdotally referred to, out of context, in broad sweeping assertions! But, hey, to each their own!

Perhaps the inductance can effect high frequency signals, but NOT at audio frequencies! (and yet the very state of the art ICs and PCB's responsible for this processing do not employ stranded conductors and often do not even use copper as a conductor! Often it is aluminum! What out, I expect a stampede now!

I think that this is a case where minutia overwhelms the obvious factors such as basic resistance. And lets not forget that many exotic loads do NOT like low inductance cabling! Refer to Nelson Pass' analysis of cables!

And I love the concept of frequency balanced cables where the low mid and high frequencies all get in a line and the electrons then hold hands and then decide which conductor to go down! I think that is technically called a crossover, or more accurately, where 'marketing takes over for engineering'!

Significant? Well, if you are going to pay another $80-$x00 for the cables, I suspect that it is a foregone conclusion that you will hear a profound difference.

And why pray tell, would someone mess with bi-wiring instead of simply utilizing an active crossover with the signals aligned in the time domain sufficient to render the apparent acoustical centers and resulting signals coincident in the time domain? ...Something that DOES make a profound difference!?

But, by all means, feel free to spend your money and time as you like. I just don't quite know how to compare the 'red' sounding system relative to the 'bluer' sounding one. ;-)

Have fun!

OR, they have simply realized that such a gimmick has suffiecient following, and their economies of scale regarding the cost of wire insignificant relative to the perceived capture of sales from all those who feel that their is a perceptible advantage!

After all, look at the sales of Bose and Monster and Polk derived from EXACTLY the same type of marketing hype where marketing takes precedence over physics!