explain Bi-wire??

colterphoto1

"I heard an INCREDIBLE difference in sound quality when I hooked up my bi-wire cables."

Adding an extra cable from your amplifier to the speaker is the same as increasing the diameter of a single cable. You've lowered resistance and inductance a little, and have raised capacitance (minutely). If your hearing is good, I don't doubt you hear a difference -- because someone with very good hearing should be able to detect the difference. The small reduction in resistance shouldn't be audible, but the reduction in inductance and increase in capacitance is. It does cause a small shift in the signature, but seriously -- it shouldn't be anything near as dramatic as you describe. In some systems, it is possible for biwiring to actually cause a degradation in sound quality. If you want to hear substantial improvement, go for a tweak that really makes a positive difference -- upgrade the parts quality in your networks. Typically about the same amount of money most spend on wire.

Thanks Dean, I started this dern thread what seems like months ago. Don't believe in the bi-wiring (or esoteric wiring for that matter), but it sure has been an interesting journey hearing about the wide variety of experiments and outcomes from various Forum members!

Now Bi-AMPING is another story altogether. It actually does something.,

I wonder if I bi wire my own speakers...with two leads going to say a K horn...will I get "just unbelieveable results?" Again, does it go to the x over independently or are the two leads combined before the x over as I suspect?

Maybe this is like the 1 vs 2 vs 3 vs 4 blades to shave your face?

Thats it, we should tri wire our speakers and see if this helps too!!

LOL

I am just simply posting my REAL results in bi-wiring. And, as I've stated previously, found a much bigger sound difference in using an actual bi-wire cable, than running two sets of cables with my receiver set to "front bi-amp."

The best way I can describe the sound difference......was that things were separated much better. I listen to fairly hard rock. One of my best sounding CD's is Korn's second to latest one (sorry, I've forgotten the title). I do all of my "testing" with that CD. Now when the first song played........you'd hear the rolling sound of the guitar, bass, and drum all together. It sounded good, but was more like a rolling beat. When I bi-wired, I could ACTUALLY hear each guitar note, each bass note, and every single drum beat that hit.........and everything sounded a little bit clearer as well. The singer's voice came through much more clearly and pronounced, as well.

I don't know how else to describe it, but it just simply didn't "blur" all of the sound together like a conventional hookup. I can't believe I'm the only one here who's experienced this!

I am not sure if my hookup has anything to do with my results or not, but here goes:

Pioneer Elite VSX-43TX receiver: THX certified (sorry, don't have specs and don't have time to look them up right now)

Klipsch KLF-20's front loud speakers, 100db sensitivity rating

Monster MCX-1S bi-wire cable (10' pair)

Hey IndyK!

My dad (you remember Richard), always had a theory about those multiple-blade razors. When he was living, the two bladed razor had just been introduced. The theory was that the first blade, if it didn't cut the whisker, would grab it and stretch it out, then the second blade would slice it off. Dad was going to introduce a razor that was so dull that the first and only blade would grab the whisker and pull it out by the roots, eliminating the need for future shaves!

Dad was a crazy one, God I miss that guy!

Michael

"I wonder if I bi wire my own speakers...with two leads going to say a K horn...will I get "just unbelieveable results?" Again, does it go to the x over independently or are the two leads combined before the x over as I suspect?

Maybe this is like the 1 vs 2 vs 3 vs 4 blades to shave your face?

Thats it, we should tri wire our speakers and see if this helps too!!"

IndyK--

Don't forget, when triwiring speakers, in order to achieve 'unbelievable results', you should observe Tesla's "Law of Threes". To make a long story short, when you run your cables from the amp to the speakers, each pair should maintain a spacing of at least 3 inches from any other pair. This will prevent the intermodular electromagnetic Psi-wave induction effect from blurring the final output.

Yes, but I happen to LOVE the sound resulting from the intermodular electromagnetic Psi-wave induction effect. In fact, I also enjoy relatively high amounts of EMI in my system, so I wrap all my speaker wires and interconnects around my power cords. Man oh man, you guys just don't know what you're missing.9.gif

"Yes, but I happen to LOVE the sound resulting from the intermodular electromagnetic Psi-wave induction effect. In fact, I also enjoy relatively high amounts of EMI in my system, so I wrap all my speaker wires and interconnects around my power cords. Man oh man, you guys just don't know what you're missing."

Deano--You're right on the money with that one! I used to have some Martin Logan Prodigies, and that power cord trick does wonders for speakers using electrostatic panel technology. The audible difference was unbelievable! Of course, I found that you do not really reap the full benefits of the tweak until the speakers are properly broken in. Did you notice this?

I wonder if I take the wall socket and plug it into my speaker wires if I will get a good signal jolt to make em smokin hot too!! hahahahahaha (Do not do this!)

Tesla is a subject person my father adored. He probably read almost every book on him, and was asked to speak about him as well. Some of his theories were pretty scarey as well. For all of you conspiracy people, when he died, the government came in and took everything he had ever written and all of the books he was reading. They were too afraid anyone could get their hands on some of the things he was developing too.

And you can thank him for Alternating Current too. Amazing to me, the Tesla generators in Las Vegas still run and have never failed. He died pennyless, and that alone is a real shame for such a man who invented so much.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, Bi-wiring brought back to life! I've read a bi-wiring article in a certain X-brand speaker site claiming that their bi-wirable speakers x-over were engineered with completely separate hi-pass and low-pass sections...it also says -"the effects of bi-wiring are not subtle. The improvements are large enough that a bi-wire set of moderately priced cable will usually sound better than a single run of more expensive cable".

Since i'm not familiar of it, i wonder if klipsch engineers did the same with all of their so-called bi-wirable speakers' crossover(s)...or they just put those extra posts at the back of the speakers for marketing purposes?

• Like 1

Qruse,

If what you said is right, that would make sense to me. I'm pretty sure that's how my speakers are setup.

By the way, for everyone who thinks your wasting tons of money on expensive bi-wire cables to do this......the bi-wired cables are generally about 50% more. So if you had a set of $10 cables, a bi-wire set would probably be about $15. To me, that's not a whole lot more.

What if you had $1000 cables, would that be "much more."

Personally I know there is a difference. But when it comes to 10-100k, we may not see the full advantages. It also depends on your rig. MIT's bi-wires connecting Rb-15's to a JVC, ahh no.

Regarding Bi-wire, I don't think 99.999% of us know what it is about, or would hear any discernable difference.

By the way Bi-wire posts are there so that you can Bi-amp also.

White Shadow sez "By the way Bi-wire posts are there so that you can Bi-amp also.

Funny, they aren't labeled HF and LF, I wouldn't hook a Crown DC300 up to my tweeter without opening up the cabinet to MAKE SURE which posts went to which driver. Also the extraordinarily poorly written manual makes no mention of this, actually barely mentions the highly touted 'monster cable' bi-wiring idea. It's snake oil, never thought a company like Klipsch would stoop this low, but then hey, they fired Americans to give Chinese laborers a job.

btw, to quote the Beatles fans "Paul is dead" , in PWK's case, quite obviously so, sadly.