Forte II questions

My father has purchased a used pair of forte II's form a friend of mine For $200.00. The base is missing from the bottom of the speakers. If any one could provide the specs. of the base I would greatly appreciate it. I have also thought of using spikes instead of building a base, any input on this would be appreciated also. Finally I would like to know what people are using as a center channel with Forte II's. My father is primarily interested in 2 channel but will have home theater capability. I have checked the speaker matching chart and understand that the KLF-C7 is recommended. I would really like to know of any other centers that might work since home theater is not a high priority. Price is important, so far the cost of the system is at $700.00. The system is currently comprised of:

Mains - Forte II

Surrounds - KSB 3.1

No Center

Receiver - Harman Kardon AVR65

DVD/CD changer - Pioneer DVC 503

All comments or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks, Q.

Spikes will actually be better than rebuilding the base. The best center match would probably be an Academy, but they are no longer made so you would have to find one used (they are rare). A used Academy will likely cost more than whay you paid for the Fortes. Your father got a bargain!

I am currently using a Forte II as a center channel for my other two Forte II's. I had an RC-3 center channel and did not like it.

I came to realize the only way that I would be happy is to use another Forte II.

The good news for you is that I had to remove the base of the Forte II to use as a center channel. So if you want the base let me know.

I also have an extra Forte II if you want to use as a center channel if you ever want to go that route.

4977-

JMON speaks the truth, but since Academy's are hard to find, you could also look into the KV series. I have Forte IIs also, and have been using a KV-3 that does quite well. Currently, I am auditioning a KV-4 that sounds outstanding. Either of these would do you proud. I have only seen one other KV-4 on eBay, but the KV-3s come up fairly frequently...another may be up soon.

S2000- I'd love to have the space for another Forte as a center, but no luck there. I assume you have placed it on its side? If so, how do the horns sound, since they are supposed to be 60x90 tractrix? I would think placing on its side would play havoc with the sound stage. I'd be interested in what you have done.

JHAWK92

The bad news is my Adcom amp has been out being serviced and I have not gotten a good listen to the Forte on it's side.

I did speak with Trey at Klipsch who said that the sound stage should be fine thou.

The Adcom should be here Friday, so Monday I hope to post an update..

Thanks to all for the input.

JMON

I went ahead and built a pair of bases that are 2" tall. I want to try them before spikes. I do have a set of spikes that came with my KG 5.5's that I can try but I don't want to drill larger holes in the bottom of the speakers if I can avoid it.

S200

I like the idea of another forte II for the center but due to space limitations I don't think it will work.

jhawk92

I think that a used KV-3 will probably be the best way to go. Unless I can get another good deal on an academy or C7.

Thanks, Q.

JMON

Where might I find the Tiptoes? They sound like a good idea. It would be nice to keep the spikes from the 5.5's in the event I am able to repair or replace the cabinets. On that note, can anyone recommend the best way to strip the black finish off of a pair of KG 5.5's?

Thanks,

Q.

4977-

Let me know if you are serious about getting a KV-3. Like I said, I am in the middle of auditioning a KV-4, and if everying stays good, I will probably put my KV-3 up for sale. It's mint, black satin, still have the box. LMK.