KLIPSCH subwoofers - what we want for the future

matthewschultz

What I would really like tro see/hear

An auto calibrating EQ to smooth out the response(your second choice,and a good one),this feature is welcome on any subwoofer.

Klipsch to start using 18" woofers,and SVS/Sunfire like ones.With serious linear to really move air.

A larger cabinet/driver tuned around 16Hz(I wish,I know)for serious 20Hz output(around 115dB at 20Hz,or more).

Abandon the cute but fragile copper colored cone and use pulp/kevlar like many heavyduty woofers.Take a look at the Tumult,woofers used by Sunfire.You would have to kick these to even make a dent

Better quality real wood finish,the current R series wood covering is as thin as a sheet of paper.

And remain priced under $3000,this is realistic.The HGS18,B15 are priced there.We all know Klipsch is a large speaker company and has the know how to make a statement product and price it right.I would be a buyer

You can keep your ported cardboard/pressboard large toilet paper roll with a woofer stuck in it (they are like a big bazooka tube for the house), I'll take an 18" driver or dual 15" drivers in a folded horn enclosure Heritage subwoofer! Bring it on! Make it an efficient DVC unit so that I can drive it with a powerful and clean amplifier I already have a subwoofer processor and computer equalizer to tweak adjustments. I want to feel like the guy in the old maxell tape ads with the bass flapping my pants and hitting me in the chest. Enough with the weak subs already! 1.gif

Hello Bruinsrme, The Acoustron LWE-I's are some of the rarest and unique speakers ever made. They were hand made by Louis Erath in Houston, Texas in the late 60's or early 70's. He was a seismograph engineer and used his experience with seismology to design a speaker that had tremendous low end in a small enclosure solid to 20Hz. He designed a circuit that would use an amplifier's negative feedback loop to reinforce the low frequencies but leave the mids and highs alone. The result an incredibly flat speaker across the entire audible spectrum. They use a 15" CTS woofer, a CTS 6" cone midrange and an EV T-35 tweeter. They are very efficient around 96db or more, have much more bass than a Heresy or Heresy II and the enclosure is a little taller than the Heresy but not as wide. When hooked up as designed they can compete with the mighty Klipschorn. There are controls for room gain, phase, and mid and high contour on the back of them. They connect to your amp via 6 pin cinch-jones connectors. I like them because they are similar to the Cornwall only smaller. They are actually being used as additional mains laying sideways on top of the Belle's. The tweeters seemed to be placed in a way that they are more designed to be vertically oriented. I love the things, and they are in perfect shape I even have the original stands that came with them. They are extremely heavy for their size and have beautiful wood veneering. I have an old review on them if you feel like reading about them.

Interesting thread... I hope klipsch execs read this thread. :) Personally I share a lot of wants with theEAR.

First off, they should offer two models with similar performance... but priced quite differently... bang-for-the-buck (abbreviated as $) should be priced a little more than a similar SVS (ummm... about 1000$) and price has almost no limit (abbreviated as $$$) should be priced less than the top of the line Velodyne (less than 3000$?)...

- Flat to about 18Hz (both $ and $$$ versions )

- Impressive high SPL capability surpassing SVS / Velo (with the $$$ one having a 6db advantage) It basically requires large drivers, long excursion, and plenty of power. A look at Adires Tumult, Strykes AV-15, Adire Tempest, etc... shows what can easily be done.

- A built in auto EQ like the new Velos (I believe this is the future of subwoofers, and is essential in the $$$ unit but should be in the $ sub as well. Considering the cost of the BFD 1124, I cant believe they cant integrate a powerful parametric unit for a cost of less than 100$ to 150$?)

- Im also for the plain but strong pulp/Kevlar woofers (esp in the $ version)

- Choice of NICE Real wood only for the $$$ units

- Cheap box/tube for the $ unit... after all... form follows function at this price.

I think the cost and the two first points are the main deciding factors when buying / testing a sub. If they want reviewers to rave about their subs, they have to blow them away literally... with the $$$ sub ;)

As cool as having a horn-loaded sub would be, physics pretty much rules out this option. Tuning it low like 18Hz or 20Hz would make the box (and cost) huge!! That is why most commercial horn loaded woofers really excel in mid-bass rather the sub-bass. Adding wildly flanged ports could help give the subs a brand / heritage look though... but its more marketing in this case.

Ok... I think that was my 2 cents... 3.gif

Rob B.