KG-4's?

whell

Have a chance to pick upa pair of KG-4's from a local seller to replace some older Infinity's in my 2 channel system. This system will largely be used to listen to vinyl and CD's, and occasionally TV through a stereo vcr. They'll be powered by a Sansui 9090 for now, though I'm looking for a newer intergrated amp to use. Mostly jazz and classic rock, and limited classical.

He wants $275 and they are in very good condition. I can pick them up locally, no shipping.

Anyone think this is a decent deal for the KG-4's?

Just a footnote. Seller has agreed to let them go for $260. I should be able to pick them up next week.

Any thoughts on what to power these with? For starters, I'll probably be powering them with my venerable Sansui 9090. I've always liked the sound of that unit, but never had it hooked up to Klipsch.

The thought of hooking up a Klipsch to an old SS Sansui is probably making some of your skins crawl. I might consider selling the Sansui (I think I could get a decent $ selling it, as it truly is in near mint shape) and powering the Klipsch with a decent integrated amp. I'd appreciate any suggestions, though I am still not partial to tube equipment at this point.

Thanks!

----------------

On 3/12/2003 9:59:54 PM whell wrote:

I'd appreciate any suggestions, though I am still not partial to tube equipment at this point.

Thanks!
----------------

Curious as to why? I think it is the single thing you could do that would make a marked improvement in the sound quality you hear from your KG-4s (JMO). :)

DD

Before you make an irrevokeable committment, take a close look at the surrounds on the twin mid/bass drivers on both speakers. I have a pair of 1985 KG4 that are in like-new condition, but I've seen several posts here from folks who have had problems with the surronds either cracking or rotting. Sounds like maybe Klipsch had a couple different sources for that driver, or the vendor changed formulation of the surround, or something. Check the surrounds carefully. If they look okay, no problem. If the surrounds are not in good shape, I think I'd pass on the pair and keep an eye open for another opportunity.

I don't know...$260 for a pair of kg4 loudspeakers is a darn good price, even with rotting surrounds, I would think. Can the damaged surrounds be replaced by Klipsch or another vendor, and if so, then how much money are we talking about? If it'll cost more than, say $150 to repair the surrounds, then maybe whell should look around for another pair.

Ray:

Thanks for the heads up on the surrounds. I'll check them out.

Doug:

Why no interest in tubes at this time? I might be right on, or I might be misinformed. However, both of my systems are seeing alot of wife usage right now. She likes the use of the remote (she has mastered the Marantz RC-18 remote fairly well), and wants to just sit down, turn it on, and go. Thus, SS equipment, for the "instant on" value, has appeal right now. Also, with a 18 month old special needs daughter, its all I can do to maintain the scant attention I am able to pay to my hobby now, without trying to learn the new language of tubes.

I must admit that it is tempting to try tube equipment, given all the lofty praise that such equipment gets from the tube maivens here in this forum and elsewhere. However, I'm quite sure that its beyond my ability right now devote the time necessary to "get it right" with tube gear.

Maybe someday........ :-)

I got my KG-4's for $175. The only way I'd pay $260 is if they were in VERY good condition. If the woofer surrounds are cracked or the wood is dinged up, take a pass. New woofers are $80, just to let you know they aren't cheap to replace. If they are as good as you say, go for it.