Where to get the best prices these days

wireless

I've had a KLF-20 based HT setup (with a c-7, lf-10, and a pair of Fortes) for a while now.

I'm thinking about changing the 20's and the c7 to some shielded speakers that I can put closer to my tv. Also something a little smaller that looks better and is a more compact in the den.

Couple of questions:

1) Where can you get good prices these days on Klipsch speakers? I just looked on Uncle's weg site and it doesn't appear they sell them new anymore. Forget paying list, they just aren't worth it but they were worth what you used to get them for from Uncle's and other places. Where's everyone buying these days or has Klipsch cut off the gray channels completely?

2) How do the RF-3II's compare with the 20's and how do the rf-5's compare to both? I'm looking strictly at sound quality - efficiency is not a factor. I just don't have much opportunity to crank it up anymore with the wife and baby (although the 19 month old baby likes music but you know tender little ears and all).

What is considered a good price for the rf-3ii's and the rf-5's? It funny how the synergy speakers have wider frequency range than the reference series. I bought my parents a pair of synergy's and frankly they sound less harsh than my 20's (but not my forte's)

1) Check this thread: http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=32122

For a check on the current gray market, go to www.acousticsounddesign.com or www.sounddistributors.com.

2) The Legend series was a more in-your-face design than the Reference, which are a little calmer and smoother. The Synergy probably do sound less harsh (or "lively", I prefer to call it) for the reason that they are not designed to have the sound that the Legends were designed for. Doesn't mean the Synergy are better speakers than the Legends, just that they were voiced differently, IMO.

Doug

For some reason that reference to a thread doesn't work. What is the subject and I'll look it up with search.

Another question: why did Klipsch go to a two-way speaker with the RF seres? I know the crossovers are easier to design and hence it's easier to get a smoother sound. However, I have the sneaking suspicion it was done to reduce costs with worse sound as a by-product.

This was querried while Klipsch was anouncing this new line. I remember a moderator explained it--don't remember exactly, but, I think it had to do with looking at frequency responce across the whole spectrum. The new drivers were accomplishing the job, thus no need for a 3 way design. Cost was also a variable.

Price--Sound Advice it discounting now--perhaps in leu of the loss of business (subsidiary of Tweeter). I don't have their sale paper but I think they have deals like the RSW 12 sub for about $650. I'll look up my paper & get back to you>

JT: Ye of little faith

A typo huh--have never seen a KSW 12 for $650 @ SA, ever. Can't find my sale paper#*^!!! I'll call them tomorrow.

Seriously, I think something is up. They have the R-line dicounted--RF 7's without a price (listed as "come in and see for the price") & even the picture is the RSW sub.

$650'ish? Would a SVS still be better? Maybe not at this price point!

We needs must love the highest when we hear it!