INside view of K55V driverf

Al, post a picture of the phase plug and give a little description of the function. I think folks would find it interesting, and since you've already got it apart and have the digital camera...

BobG,

Ok.. You asked for it!

Here's what you see right behind the diaphragm:

pplug1.jpg

Note the two piece assembly. There are two paths for the sound. This is the

later production K55V having the improved phase plug. It can be identified

by the solder-on connections. The older K55V has push-on connections and

only a single path.

This is a view down the throat looking THROUGH the bug-screen. The lighting

is from behind (It is sitting on a flashlight). It is difficult to see, but

that's the best I could do looking through the bug-screen.

pplug2.jpg

By the way. This particular K55V had a k55M ("M") diaphragm stuck in it by

somebody who must have an I.Q. in the neighborhood of 50 or so!. It didn't

fit! The "M" diaphragm is just a few thousandths of an inch smaller. It goes

in, but you can't center the voice coil in the gap. It rubs against the side

of the gap. If you ever need to replace a diaphragm, be sure you get the

right one!

Al K.

John Albright,

I can't remember numbers worth a hoot, but if you are referring to the driver Jim Hunter had sitting on the table at the Klipsch factory library, YES! Remember, the K55V is based on a PA driver, the Atlas PD-5, and is only a aquawker, not a full range driver!

I wish I knew all the fine points of these things, but I don't! This is the first time I have ever opened one.

Al K.

A view of a JBL 475, a four port phase plug. This is a neodymium magnet version of the 375 which was a alnico magnet version of the WE 594 field coil driver. http://www.audioheritage.org/main/images/jbl/photos/products/drivers/475_xsection.jpg A three port phase plug. http://www.audioheritage.org/library/catalogs/altec/images/1971_monitor/page1.jpg A two port phase plug. http://www.audioheritage.org/library/catalogs/jbl/images/1976_Components/p-2.jpg A tangential phase plug. http://www.audioheritage.org/library/catalogs/altec/images/1978_mi/page02.jpg Note that the spacing on all the annular port phase plugs is essentially the same.The 4p is a 4" vc,the 3p is a 2.8" vc and the 2p is a 1.75" vc.

djk,

Interesting stuff. Thanks for posting it.

Pete C,

Yes, These were from the big 260 Horn on eBay. The drivers were all "doctored" by sombody. Half of them had "M" diaphragms jammed into them. They all has problems. One had a lead pop off the voice coil (this one in fact, look carefully at the connection on the right in the first pix). Some had metal chards in the magnetic gap. None were burned out by too much power though.

Al K.

• 5 weeks later...

Heh.. you ought to see the inside of a large format Altec driver. Not just popping the cap off it, and removing the voice coil/fram assembly, but taking the top plate off that puppy and all. Wink.gif Neighbor had to do that to one because it got slammed so hard by 'oops' (UPS) that it knocked the top plate over. Very very difficult getting that friggin' thing off due to the magnet's strength. I'd get pictures but I doubt he's willing to take it back apart. Wink.gif

Evil,

I have not see the inside of an Altec or JBL driver, but I am about to

listen to a set!

This little gizmo adapts a standard 2 or 3 hole driver mounting to the 1-3/8

X 18 thread used on the K55 diver. It is going to let me screw in a set of

used JBL 2421 full range drivers on my Belle Klipsch to see what they sound

like. They only cost $6.01 each from MCM Electronics

(http://www.mcmelectronics.com). They are catalog number 54-500.

Al K

This message has been edited by Al Klappenberger on 05-26-2001 at 08:00 AM

Be carefull.The Altec/JBL aluminum 1" drivers are only rated at 10W crossed at 500hz/12dB/oct.A PD5/K55V is rated at 40W crossed at 400hz/6dB/oct.>>it got slammed so hard by 'oops' (UPS) that it knocked the top plate over<< Alnico magnet compression drivers need to be re-magnetized if the top plate is removed.While they still play loud the frequency response above 3Khz will be greatly diminished.Alnico woofers with weak magnets have diminished midrange response.

This message has been edited by djk on 05-26-2001 at 07:27 PM

djk,

Yes, I am aware of the lower power limits on the JBL drivers. I untimatly plan to move the crossover up to 700 Hz with high order network and go 2 way on a different horn. The screw-on deal is just a short term experiment to directly compare drivers. I seldom run my system over a few watts anyhow.

Al K.

My Dad has the JBL 2420 drivers on his second system LaScalla's using the MCM adapter and stock horns. Makes a big difference.

I have been a fan along time in replacing the stock Klipsch sqawkers with Altec or JBL's.

cwm10.gif