HT Projectors - So Many Choices

erikjohn

So I am in the market for a projector. I have been doing all kinds of reasearch but still am a little unsure on what to do. It appears that the market is growing so fast that it is hard to make a decision on what type DLP or LCD or what projector to buy.

I have been looking at the Sanyo PLV-Z1 or the Infocus X1. The X1 appears to have a bad rainbow effect and some serious quality issues. I have only read good things about the PLV-Z1. I will be viewing primarily HD(480p STD also with black side bars), Prog DVD and Xbox.

In general I have been lookning at everything on the net and ebay but am hoping for some more opinions from guys I trust.

Moon - The screenplay 110 appears to have some issues and is kind of expensive. comments...

So everyone tell me what you have come with as far as your research and or your expiriences with projectors.

We need a single post that reviews several projectors and weaknesses and advantages so POST AWAY!

EJ1.gif

----------------

On 3/12/2003 11:42:57 AM erikjohn wrote:

Moon - The screenplay 110 appears to have some issues and is kind of expensive. comments...

EJ
1.gif

----------------

I am not technically savy when it comes to these things, but speaking from a noobie user:

I can't comment on any other projectors. I am curious about the issues you speak of? I have not had so much as 1 problem with mine. It has a fantastic picture and seems stable as a rock. If I was in a position to buy another and *UPGRADING WAS NOT A POSSIBILITY*, I would absolutly buy this one again.

Are there specific questions you would like me to try and answer?

As far as price, you can try to do what I did, I got a factory referb. They boxed it up sealed it and everything was in the box just like it was a brand new unit directly from the factory floor. I was very pleased about that.

Moon,

Where did yo get it from? How much better is it than the X1? Do you have any rainbow issues?

I'm not sure the 110 is the projector for me but I am keeping my otions open now. I can spend as much as I need to but would prefer to stay below 3K for everything including screen.

EJ1.gif

I got mine directly from InFocus. Of course it helps that my neighbor works for them. But i still believe you can call and as for a referb.

As far as rainbow affects. I don't know what they are. I don't see any rainbows when watching movies. The only thing I notice is the screendoor affect. but to compensite for that, I simply take it just a hair out of focus.

Oh and I have no idea about the X1 never read up on it.

I belive anyone should be able to get a referb. As far as my neighbor goes and helping you to get an even better deal? He does not like to rock the boat at work. I had asked the same question for someone else and basically he shyed away from it, so I never pressed the issue. Sorry.4.gif

The following keep popping up as ideas:

#1. Used CRT (under $4k) - best performance but requires support--not an install and forget from what I've read.

#2. NEC HT1000 (~$4k)

#3. Sony HS150 (~$2500 I believe)

#4. Runco DLP at the local stores for $6k

The avsforum is where a lot of videophiles chat about projectors.

I have been hanging out in the avs fourms lately and have learned alot. I would not recommend th Sanyo Z-1 because almost everyone has problems with dust blobs in the lcd pannels, which can easily be solved with some carefuly used air in a can. I have seen pics of this projector and it is impresive but the dust blob issue is just to much of a problem. The Sony HS-10 is a very good projector and reviews can be foun over at avsforum it should however be properly calibrated with avia from what I read to produce good black levels. There also have been a few reliability issues but nothing major. The main thing is that the pixel warranty I belive (someone corrrect me if im wrong) is you need 6 dead pixels before you can return it. This unit right now is very popular and can be hard to find and runs about 2,495 at it cheapest. However my personal pick that I am looking closely is the Panasonic PT-L300U. While some will say that the HS-10 is better and there is less problems such as screendoor, which is really nonexistant on the 300U also. This projector costs around 1,850 at is cheapest now but its price value compared to the Hs-10 is better in my oppinion. Like I stated before check out Avsforum and do some research. Attached is someones screenshot of their 300u it is very impressive for the cost.

Phips

post-9783-13819246736424_thumb.jpg

After several months of research and reading specs, I thought I had a pretty good idea of what I wanted: a DLP projector that had a native 16:9 aspect ratio, since my HT was to be used primarily for DVD movies. So I was leaning heavily toward the Infocus Screenplay 110. But then, all the new second generation, higher resolution DLP chips started cropping up in stores, so I was hesitant on actually going with the "older" DLP technology. The other problem I had was that, even with several high-end home theater stores in the area, hardly any carried a variety of projectors that a person could compare side-by-side; a larger demand for big-screen TVs dictate that. The projectors that were available for demo were usually higher-end, prohibitively expensive ones, and I just wasn't comfy spending money on a projector that I couldn't demo first.

Finally, I found a HT design company who didn't operate an actual retail store, but who had some projectors that they demo'd out of their offices. The guy had the new generation, high-res Infocus Screenplay 7200 DLP projector, which looked pretty awesome. He then switched the output over to a new Epson PowerLite TW-100 LCD projector, and jeez, even though the lumen output and contrast ratio specs are typically better with DLP technology, the image from the Epson was every bit as good as the Infocus. In fact the LCD had richer colors than the DLP. The Epson was less expensive (MSRP=4999, but it can be had for less than 4K), and the bulb life is rated at 3000 hours (1000 more than most DLPs), so cost of ownership is reduced. It has Faroudja DCDi video processing, and even has a screen trigger interface. Bottom line, I bought the Epson TW-100. I've read in several places that Epson understates their specs, whereas other manufacturers tend to "nudge" their figures up. The TW-100 contrast ratio has been listed as 600:1, but the unit is shipping as 800:1. Epson USA told me there was no change to the projector, they just understated the spec in the literature when the unit was first marketed.

Anyway, this was a pretty lengthy explanation of my experience. Hope it helps. By the way, check out www.projectorcatalog.com. They have specs on about any kind of projector you can get, and allow you to compare them side-by-side.

• Like 1

You've got good feedback, to add, DLP, LCD is "prehistoric", inferior technology...IMHO...

Pixelization is quite evident in LCD, NOT DLP, there is talk of the "RAINBOW" effect. The Rainbow effect is "only" visible in a small number of % of people.

The 3 "main" manufactures of DLP in the "world", 1- InFocus, North American....AWESOME....

2- Sim2 out of Italy....sweeettttt....ok Sim3

3- Lightware\Plus Corporation out of Japan...no1 Asian....

THE BIG 3,Texas Instruments "owns" the technology...."who" owns them????? They are the "3" main manufacturers in the world.

I have seen them both, CRT is not involved here.

The Marantz DVP12S2 is sweeeeetttttt.... 3.gif

I have been grazing the AVS forums for a while now, and there is a lot to be learned. One thing that you get out of the threads is that there is no consensus on what is the "best" projector. There are just as many folks who LOVE their Sony HS-10's as there are those who LOVE their Panasonic L300's. Then there are the DLP folks who are not open to anything else. Some guys feel that you will get a terrible picture unless you spend 5K or more for a projector, and yet having seen A/B tests, most of those guys would be fooled if they were led into a darkened room and watched a PJ without knowing if it was high end or low end. The margins of improvement with rising cost are just not that great anymore.

I have also made the rounds here in Salt Lake City sampling the PJ's as best I can without trying to annoy salepeople. In almost every case, the PJ's have impressed regardless of cost or technology. I saw a side by side with same source material on the Panasonic L300 and the Sony HS-10. The blacks were better in the L300. Not my opinion, four others agreed. I know, you who are champions for the HS-10 will be thinking that it wasn't set up correctly. Don't know that was so. The rep who I have known for some time and is not an excitable boy, plowed through the menus making adjustments to try and help it out. No matter. Panasonic still had better blacks. IF I had seen the HS-10 by itself, I would probably have been ready to buy that one. It was stunning. The Panasonic was just slightly more so.

In the end, it is like choosing the best wine, or the best looking woman. You have to go with what you like. Brand loyalty is a funny concept. We have Klipsch loyalty or we wouldn't be posting here in the first place. Are any of you likely to be talked into getting Martin Logans? Can you talk one of those guys into getting Klipsch? I doubt it. If Tide were really the best detergent, everyone would use it. Obviously that isn't the case so it must not be so.

As to getting the PJ that is best for you:

1. Figure out your budget

2. Go see a few. You can't watch a review.

3. Weigh out warranty.

4. Look into bulb life and replacement cost. Infocus reduced the bulbs on the X1 to 299. Cheap compared to the other makes. TCO can be an issue if you use it a lot.

5. Figure out what you are going to use it for. This can eliminate a buch of contenders. If you are going to play lots of games or watch a lot of sports, then a 16:9 native PJ may not be the best bet(Bars left and right of image. Not taking advantage of the full use of your screen). On the other hand if you are going to watch movies mostly, then forget the 4:3 PJ's and go for a 16:9(Bars top and bottom of screen, again not taking full advantage of the screen you bought).

If I had been told that any one of the PJ's I looked at was the only choice availble, I would have been happy to live with it. Assuming of course it was one I could afford. Bang for buck? X1 (4:3 DLP machine)is hard to beat for 1400 dollars. Sanyo Z1 (16:9 LCD machine) for same price almost is another contender. If you have another 6-800 dollars then the Sony HS-10 or the Panasonic L300 are good.

Two years ago I bought the Infocus LP350. It was the best for the money that I could afford. It did have the bulb explode on me. Infocus replaced it for free and upgraded the power supply to the new specs. When the bulb blew up I had 800 hours on it. About a week ago I look and I had 550 hours on it.

The reason that I purchased the DLP over the LCD is that the screen door was too much for me. LCD does have very rich colors, can be easier to calibrate and longer bulb life. But at $350 for bulb that not allot for what you get. If the bulb life is one third longer, you would only save 116 dollars. That is not much money in my house.

All of the reading of reviews ect cannot replace getting out and looking at a few projectors to find out what YOU like.

Good luck.

JP