I bought a piano!!

fini

On the advice of C&S (who filled the thrift shop with Montunos Cubano), I made an apparent whopper of a deal on a Yamaha P22, built in 1962. I paid $450, and it's in great shape. No one in the family plays (yet), but that WILL change!

Anyone have one of these, or know anything about this model? I haven't found the Yamaha Forum yet...9.gif

fini

Congrats on the purchase! 1.gif

We have an old Wurlitzer- I mean this thing is old. It was my great, great aunt's or something like that. I taught myself some stuff on piano, but ultimately quit. 8.gif I do wish I could play, though.

----------------

On 3/14/2003 10:45:10 PM trespasser_guy wrote:

Congrats on the purchase!
1.gif

We have an old Wurlitzer- I mean this thing is old. It was my great, great aunt's or something like that. I taught myself some stuff on piano, but ultimately quit.
8.gif
I do wish I could play, though.
----------------

Probably worth a million bucks 9.gif

P3151857_p.jpg

I don't know a thing about Yamaha pianos (owned a Yamaha MIDI keyboard that had good sounding piano voices). Old WurliTzer pianos from the teens and twenties are really nice (especially their player pianos).

I have an 1898 Steinway & Sons upright piano that has great tone, but is majorly out of tune, and has a few broken hammers (dead notes). My mom bought this piano back in 1989 at a now defunkt piano/organ shop in town for an even $1000, not a good deal if you ask me, considering it was out of tune then and had the same dead notes!

I can bang on it, but my youngest brother can actually play it right (also played the acoustic bass in high school orchestra). Someday when I have unlimited funds, I'd like this antique to get a thorough overhaul, and then maybe this Steinway will actually be worth $1000!

post-11084-13819246741454_thumb.jpg

fini, your '62 Yamaha is georgous (it's as old as me)! I love real wood "stained", not painted. If I had anything to do with my mom purchasing a piano, I would've had her choose a walnut stained instrument to match the other furniture (I've never been a fan of black piano gloss finish...shows too many damn fingerprints)!

Thanks for the compliment, though. Unfortunantly, it looks far better than it sounds right now. Being an antique does seem to make it special, and someday I'd love to get it completely overhauled.

----------------

On 3/16/2003 12:06:06 AM Curmudgeon wrote:

Hey fini,

Are you going to have a picture taken with you playing this piano while naked (for your new avatar)?
9.gif

----------------

Good memory there, Curmudgeon! Good advice, too. I'll have Helen, the thrift store manager take the shot Monday!!

fini

P.S. Is anyone available to bail me out Monday afternoon?

----------------

On 3/16/2003 2:49:18 AM fini wrote:

Good memory there, Curmudgeon! Good advice, too. I'll have Helen, the thrift store manager take the shot Monday!!

fini

P.S. Is anyone available to bail me out Monday afternoon?

----------------

Uh...do ya have to pose for it? We'd rather see Helen's bum on the piano bench, thanks!

It'd save someone some cash from bailing you out!4.gif

Congrats Fini, it looks very nice, and probably sounds great. It is well worth what you paid for it.

Jim, you have a project ahead of you on that restoration, but it will be worth it some day. We looked at a 59 Steinway baby grand, but had to pass when we found out it need a $5k rebuild. We ended up with a 69 Kawai and are very happy with it. I agree with you about the glossy black finish, it is a pain to keep clean.

post-5629-13819246744954_thumb.jpg

Jim, your Kawai is beautiful...all concert grand/baby grand pianos are so luxurious. An upright just doesn't have the "ponash" of a grand piano, IMO.

That's what scares me about restoring the Steinway. I'm afraid it's going to be in this condition for quite some time, especially now while I'm inbetween jobs and financially unstable. Even with its 2 dead notes and being out of tune, the antique Steinway has a marvelous tone that just rings with every key that's played. At least it doesn't sound like a "honky-tonk" parlor piano!9.gif

P1010434_01.jpg

By the way, Jim...I like your audio system! Your Heritage HT is outstanding! And I used to own a Yamaha 3-head cassette deck. I also used to own this Yamaha MIDI keyboard as well, and it's piano voices were very realistic sounding (as far as early '90's entry-level keyboards go).4.gif

post-11084-13819246745454_thumb.jpg

Jim,

Thanks for the reassuring words. We're stoked! It will be delivered Tuesday (by the Thrift Store delivery guys, with my supervision and padding/strapping, etc. They're only going a few miles.).

Nice grand piano! Who in your family plays? Seeing the cups under the wheels reminds me I need to go shopping before the delivery (the Yamaha will be on carpet, too)!

fini