How close can the KSW-10 be to my TV? Urgent, please respond!

belial

After listening to one of these babies I went ahead and ordered one. Only problem is I was planning on hiding it behind my TV stand--it's a nice sounding sub, but my girlfriend will take one look at the new ugly black square in our living room and kill me--and then I realized it isn't magnetically shielded ...

Can I still put it behind the TV? I have a 27 inch Panasonic sitting on top of a thirty inch tall cabinent. The sub pretty much has to go right behind the TV and cabinent against the wall, give or take a couple of inches ...

Will it zap my TV? I have some cheap 30 inch towers and if I put them next to the TV it definitely has an affect ...

Please advise so I can know if I should cancel my order!

And--if anyone knows of a nice shielded sub around $300, or one that doesn't look too bad, say with a natural wood finish--please let me know!

Belial

If your 30" towers have an effect, and they are about as close to the TV as the sub would be, and they have (I assume) smaller magnets than the sub, then the sub is going to mess up your TV.

You don't have to place the sub in any specific location. Some work better than others, and general rule of thumb is to place the sub somewhere along the same wall as the front speakers (in the corner to the left or right, or centered between them), but if that's not possible due to spousal acceptance factors, you can place it (a) in a corner in the back of the room, (B) behind the sofa, © under an end table someplace else in the room, you get the idea. Not sound sound ideal there, but it will probably work Okay.

As far as magnetic interference with your TV goes, unfortunately, there's really no absolute way to anticipate what the sub might or might not due without trying it. I'm assuming that the TV is fairly sensitive, as your other speakers affect it, but I can't be positive about the sub's effect. I have a 35" Toshiba in the listening (a.k.a. family) room, and we have a 27" Mitubishi in the bedroom. I can place my REL Storm subwoofer quite close to the Mitsubishi without any effect; I had a LOT of trouble finding a place IN THE SAME ROOM with the Toshiba where the sub didn't screw it up. Go figure.

Ray

I have a pair of KSW-10's mounted on either side, right up next to the tv. The tv is a rear projection unit with the tubes about 16-18" from the sides.

I agree with Ray, try it, you might be surprised.

------------------

Jim

SF-2 Mains

SF-1 Center (pair)

Quintet Rears

KSW-10 Subs (pair)

Yamaha RX-V1 Reciever

Yamaha CDC-655 CD Player

Toshiba SD-1200 DVD

Toshiba TN50X81 50" HDTV

Hey, thanks a lot for both of your responses!

I called the online place from which I ordered and the guy insisted that there would be no problem. He also tried to tell me that the sub was shielded, but when I pointed out that Klipsch's own website states that it isn't, he then tried to tell me that "no subwoofers are shielded".

This is making me kinda nervous, seeing as how it is making me wonder if the place I ordered from can be trusted. The guy said he'd never seen a magnetic interference problem with the KSW-12 and would allow me to return it if it was a problem for me. I'm keeping my fingers crossed ...

Thanks again for your responses!

belial:

As long as you can return it if it doesn't work, as stated previously, the only way to know for sure is to hook it up and try it in your situation. It's too bad you're out the freight if you send it back to that extremely knowledgable online dealer you purchased it from...(sorry, I feel a little sarcastic this morn)

PhilH

Sarcasm's not a problem, PhilH, I can be a pretty sarcastic bastard myself, if the occasion warrants it.

I'm not sure if this dealer is lacking knowledge, or simply somewhat dishonest, at least when it comes to magnetic shielding and customers who might be about to cancel their orders. Weird thing is he's a member of the BBB and ranks high on those online audio rating sites ...

I think you're right about just trying the sub once it gets here, not that I have much choice anyway. If I have a problem, then I'll find out just how reputable this dealer is.

Thanks for your response.