DIY PROJECT K-1089-AV RF-7 Copper Woofer

slider908

i recently acquired 2 k-1089 10" woofer and would like to use them in Boston Acoustics HD-10 or i may just build something around them. COuld someone tell me how i would optimize crossover setting etc. I would like to also get some Thiele-Small parameters and alot more specs on thems. How would i cross them in Hd-10s or is it better just to build something around them. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

thank you, John

It might help if you would tell us more about the Boston Acoustics HD-10 or supply a link to a site that tells about and gives specs on them. Those K-1089 woofer is used in the RF-7 so look at its specs to get an idea of where to cross it over. If you want T-S parameters you are going to have to buy something (like The Woofer Tester) to measure them yourself. Klipsch is very tight with that information and will not give it out if those drives are recent models. If you want to use those drivers in a subwoofer setup then I think you are wasting you time. They weren't designed to be a subwoofer. Yes they might work okay, but you could have spent the same (or less) money on a different woofer and got better results!

Well the Hd-10s are essentially a 2 way with a 6.5 midrange and a 1" soft dome tweeter and a 10" passive woofer. I would like to use the 1089s as a midrange and not a sub. I would like to extend my midrange and add a little quality punch to my system are the rf7s crossover a 2.2Khz 12db slope

So are you wanting more upper or lower midrange? A 10" woofer would get you some lower midrange response, but its upper midrange response will suffer (especially off-axis). I think you are better off building a new speaker rather than trying to integrate the K-1089 into your Boston Acoustics speakers, but either way it's going to take a fair amount of development (likely by trail and error). Good luck...

• 2 weeks later...

I believe that the K-1089-K is the woofer that Parts Express somehow got their hands on last year. They quickly sold out of them but did list specs for them. I suspect they measured these specs themselves. Anyhow, I believe I have the information somewhere at home. I'll take a look this weekend...

• 4 weeks later...

STL,

Your specs are close but not correct. I spoke to parts express and according to them they never sold the KV1089. They did however have one that some may have thought were the 1089. I have actual specs for the Klipsch KV1089 Copper woofers out of a Klipsch RF7 from the company I bought them from. If I had a scanner I could even post the graphs they supplied.

Anyway here are the woofer specs I received from them:

FE 30.99 Hz

Re 6.04 ohm

QMS 10.99

QES .22

QTS .21

L1 .64 mH

L2 1.16 mH

R2 5.25 ohms

RMSE Load5.25 ohms

VAS 106.18 Liters

Good luck to all that need the.