KSW-15

spanozzo

I just purchases a ksw-15 powered subwoofer for my system. I also have RF-3, RC-3, and RS-3 speakers in the system. This is the first subwoofer I have purchased and I'm not sure the correct way to set it up. I am using a yamaha DSP-1 for my receiver and have the mono out from the receiver connected to the LFE input on the back of the subwoofer. I don't however seem to be getting that much more bass. When a have the receiver send test signals to the sub I need to turn up the volume on the receiver almost half way to get an audible sound from the sub. I have the level on the sub at about 3/4's. I have all my speakers setup as large on the receiver and all of my LFE being routed to the sub, but I don't seem to be getting much more bass if any now that I have the subwoofer. I thought I would hear a major difference. Do I have something hooked up incorrectly?

i don't think you have anything hooked up wrong. If the Yamaha is set to LFE you will only get sound from the sub when a DVD has a signal in the LFE channel. The rest of the time, nada.

If you can tell your system has a sub in it the sub is TOO LOUD.

If the Yamaha is controlling the crossover to the sub, set the sub to it's highest frequency (120?) so there's no interference from each crossover.

Try to set the LFE out on the Yamaha to LFE & Sub; if it has that setting that will help. Adjust the LFE out level on the Yamaha higher and turn up the sub's volume. too. However, stop turning up when you sense a "floor" to the music. A sub is to add deep frequencies that often don't exist in most music, not to add "Boom". Boom occurs at 100 Hz or so, too high for a sub.

Even with La Scalas, I have my subs set to 60 Hz.

John

Spanozzo- try the following things for improving output from your KSW-15.

1) Use a Y-splitter (1 Female to 2 males) at the subwoofer and connect into the R AND L INPUTS.

2) Use speaker level outputs from receiver to speaker level inputs at sub. Basically run a second set of speaker cable for the right and left channels from the same location as your RF-3's (Speaker A Mains).

This will allow you to run your RF-3's as large and then tweak the crossover on your sub to the best sounding blend.

My system:

Marantz SR-8000

KLF-30's

KLF-C7

KSP-S6's

KSW-15 Front sub wired parallel to KLF-30 Mains and using y-splitter to R/L Inputs

KSW-100 rear sub using speaker level inputs and Y-splitter at R/L sub inputs.

Toshiba SD-4205 5 disc DVD/CD changer

Pioneer PDF-1007 301-CD changer

Mitsubishi 35"

Mitusbishi VCR

I don't want to introduce any negativity here, but I also tried and tried to get my KSW-10 to produce some audible bass with my RF-3's. It seemed like the midrange and bass of the RF-3's overpowered the sub when set in "Large" mode on my Pioneer receiver. When I set the RF-3's to "Small" mode, bass was almost non-existent without the sub volume on 10. The bass from the KSW-10 just didn't integrate correctly. Not sure if the KSW-15 has that much more output. Probably depends on the amp.

Anyway, I have since replaced my KSW-10 with a Boston Acoustics PV-600. What a difference. The bass blends in seamlessly when the RF-3's are set to "Large" or "Small" mode. The bass is always tight and never muddy with the PV-600.

spanozzo,

It seems the KSW's are very difficult to get "right". I've been battling with mine for about two weeks now, and finally found results i'm comfortable with (though I'm sure i'll do more tweaking tongue.gif).

Bloomis pretty much covers everything in a nutshell as to how to hook it up...the only other thing to keep in mind is that this Sub seems VERY dependant on positioning. You may have to move it around the room a few times to find the optimal position (I spent hours doing this).

One thing about the KSW though is that its not a "booming" sub. When I first purchased my KSW-10 (and then upgraded to KSW-12), I was expecting the "thud" type of sound, but that was not the case. Its a very clean sound, and blends very well, not calling attention to itself.

Good luck,

Domain