BOSE 901s or Klipsch Chorus II NEED ADVICE

rrstones

I can only imagine you'd HATE the Bloze. 901s have always sound amazingly bad to me, even before I had Klipsch and was accustomed to direct-radiator sound. If you want smaller, go listen to some RB-5s and a KSW-15.

John

Please don't sell the klipsch!!! Or sell them cheap to me...

Seriously, you won't get any upgrade by buying smaller speakers....upgrade in your relationship with your wife maybe, but that's about it (sometimes, i said sometimes, worth it).

Even smaller speakers from the klipsch line wouldn't satisfy you sonically speaking. I suspect you choosed the klipsch for their sound; so any shoebox-sized "mini monitor" would be a waste of money since they don't have the klipsch sound. Nobody, exept klipsch, has the klipsch sound (well, maybe such advertising is worth a little gift? I'd like a KSW15... Bob???)

Frans

Dick, do you mean what the II designation is? The original Chorus (guys,correct me if I'm wrong) had a tuned port, the Chorus II's switched to a passive radiator design, thus you have the Chorus II. They may have made other small changes but, I'm not quite sure what they are.

I'm looking for a pair of Forte' II's, I want to use one for my center channel.

The Quartet, Forte' II and Chorus II are all awesome speakers.

apples and oranges, mr. stones,

try listening to the Bose on your front end equipment that you have now, in your home ...

and try a long listening session (days) to the Klipsch on tube equipment, pre-amp or even better yet tube amps, try both in the dark

and listen for which music sounds more fun to listen to

thye smallest Klispch don't sound so greatly different from other small speakers, but your Chorus are in a different league, if you can listen to a different front end, I think you might end up keeping the big old speakers

by the way, the 901s are smaller speakers, but they need to sit about 2 to 3' away from each wall and the ones that I played with back in 1788 needed a back wall to reflect off of - they created a very wide and impressive sound stage,

they will create a deep one too, if they are 2 to 3" off the front wall (the wall you are facing) so they may not give you more floorspace than big old horns that can be shoved into the corners ...

Clearly a "troll", Mr. rrstones.

Although you remind me of a recent event at my house.

I had some work people over for a little Xmas cheer and brought them down into my chamber of horrors (the basement) to listen to my rig.

The "audiophile" in the group settled into the chair in the sweet spot and I spun some Chesky, Rebecca Pidgeon, singing Spanish Harlem. My most demonstrative track so far, and absolutely gorgeous.

He listened, and partway through turned to me and gave me a thumbs up. Then, to cap it off, seeing the odd shape of the speakers (being Khorns) -- they reminded him of Bose 901s apparently -- he said

"Nice speakers. Are they Bose?"

rrstones.....My first experience with Bose 901's came sometime in 1989. My manager kept bragging up these speakers of his and one thing led to another and there I was sitting on his couch while he played a few select c.d's. I still remember to this day how hard it was to keep a straight face as he was smiling from ear to ear thinking that I was just overwhelming by the Bose sound. Being the nice guy I am I stayed for awhile and complimented him on a great system. About a year before this I had been introduced to Klipsch by some Pink Floyd through some Forte's. My point is I have never been more dissappointed in a "so called classic speaker", than I was by the 901's. How could nine 4-1/2 drivers...all identical, sound good. There are many fine speakers out there today for far less than the 901's go for that to me would sound better. Just my opinion....

The 901 is the most hated speaker in the history of hi-fi and the most misunderstood.

Personally, I think the poor build quality and the incredible pain-in-the-*** set up makes them a really bad value.

BUT!

If you have a really killer solid state front end and take the trouble to set them up perfectly and you like shrill, 1970's rock and disco, the 901s are really, really amazing speakers when played PAINFULLY loud.

One of the most amazing systems I ever heard was a 70's quadraphonic hi-fi with four 901's BLASTING out some really silly 70's rock (I think it was Paul McCartney/Wings).

When we put on same REAL music the sound was thin and shrill with flubby bass.

I wouldn't take a pair for free, but they aren't as horrible as most of we "horn" aficionados think they are.

What about the famous (infamous) line:

No Highs, No Lows,

Must be BOSE!!!!

I have recently found out what kind of stereo equipment Dr. Amar Bose owns........

Two Beltones... one for each ear!!!!!!

Gentlemen,

I am afraid we have frightened rrstones unacceptably.

Yes, Bose is bad, generally speaking. Yes, you are asking Klipsch fanatics if you should consider selling Klipshes to buy insultingly low quality replacements.

But Bob is an AOL'er. You have to make allowances.

I am ashamed to admit it but my brother recently replaced his small Advent speakers with those Bose Acoustimess speakers. Many people consider this to be acceptable. Many people enjoy McDonalds food, as well.

Since Bob is asking for our help perhaps we should try to help.

I suggest looking at other speakers if the Chorus's are too...large? There are many acceptable alternatives, but we don't have enough information to go on.

What do you listen to? How large is the room? What is the rest of the system? What is your budget?

To be truly helpful we need more information.

If any of one of you guys saw "The Mountain" in Framingham, MA (Bose HQ) you'd think twice about poking fun at Amar Bose. If he wanted too, his organization could easily engineer superb loudspeakers, they have the money, the clout, the staff and the resources. But for what purpose? Why go to the trouble?

Bob,

If you want something smaller, but with a comparable sound...maybe you should look for some Forte II's...

and if you want to sell those Chorus II's, drop me a line - in fact, we could work a trade! wink.gif

Bev

------------------

Love & kisses on your Klipsch's!!!

• 3 weeks later...