WARNING - LEAVE WIFE AT HOME

T2K

Finally went to buy Denon 3801 today after months of reading and looking.As I listened to a couple of my personal reference CD's my wife wandered around the store.Come decision time I asked her what she thought and she said she saw another reciever that she liked better.SHE LIKED BETTER? What the heck does she know about audio I thought.Anyway went to check out HER favorite and ended up leaving without buying anything.So my warning

to you guys is to LEAVE THE WIFE AT HOME!

Now I've got to start over.She wants me to consider her choice.Does anyone know anything

about the B&K AVR307? Thanks,

Keith

Well, the Denon is obviously a more well-known and more-respected receiver. But you might try visiting various home theater sites to look for reviews of the b&k. Try this one at audioreview:

http://www.audioreview.com/reviews/AVReceiver/product_69092.shtml

There are I think 8 fairly long and very positive reviews of thte b&k that might give you some information. Ultimately why don't you just listen to the two at your AV store. I'm sure a salesperson would be happy to hook them up. Bring your wife along and she can hear the difference.

talktoKeith,

If I recall, you either own Heritage speakers (Klipschorns, Belles, or Lascalas)or have them on order. I test drove several amplifier brands in my home with my Klipschorns before purchasing. One of these was a B&K . . . I found it to be terribly noisy (hiss and hum) at low or no volume levels.

Therefore, I strongly recommend that (if you have a good relationship with your local audio dealer) you should test drive several brands of amplification before making your selection . . . you are getting into the serious money end of the business (Denon, B&K, et.al.) . . . you deserve to be happy with your investment when you spend this kind of money (or more).

Phil

Keith,

Maybe you should involve your wife in the decision making process earlier. I'm sure she is not stupid...she married you. It's a real opportunity to teach her about your favorite hobby! You never know, she may have some good ideas of her own.

Ed

Thanks for the replies.

Phil,I was hot on the trail of a pair of mint

Belles a while back but the wife vetoed that.

Go figure.

Ed,my wife did'nt like the idea of ME being involved in the decision making process.But she decided to let me buy the 3801 if I would also look into progressive scan or DVD-audio.

Keith

Why do you even ASK your wife about YOUR decisions? I just buy what I want and wear ear plugs for a while. I figure if my wife wants to split over me spending money on "hi-fi junk" (her term), then she wasn't worth being with. As I tell her, we're NOT talking about whores, drugs, or whisky! She buys what ever she wants and I buy whatever I want and we're both fiscally responsible enough to know how much we should be spending. It's easy, really. I do sneak LPs in without telling her, however!

Yeah its tough all right.Today my wife ordered me to wireup eight of the 24 Klipsch speakers that she made me buy.Then she made me lay down on the couch and listen to good music for 3 hours.Every now and then she came walking thru with new instructions,such as move these speakers over there and turn

the volume up a little.Right now she wants me to...........gotta go.

Keith

Yeah, I can sympathize with you guys that complain about your wives. I used to have a wife like (worse than) yours and stomach problems bordering on an ulcer. She thought I was spending too much when I bought some Radio Shack speakers! Well, I got rid of my stomach problems I divorced the Bee-with-an-itch!

At 40, I had enough sense to know when I found a keeper (my new wife). She loves what I love and hates what I hate (and vice-versa). She loves the old beat-up LaScalas (that we took a road trip together to buyman, that pissed off the X biggrin.gif ). Im working on a huge (5X8X1.5 foot) horn loaded subwoofer project and she has no problem with it. Yes, we are going to put it in the living room.

So, hang in there. Orget rid of her and your ulcer! biggrin.gif

Ed