Ultimate Bass Scene From a DVD Film

Swerv

For me I have 3 Top Bass Parts from various movies that literally "shook the room"..

Ranked from most the Most and longest amount of Room shakeing BASS :

#1) Matrix : During the opening scene where trinity is in a "jam" she punches a cop in the face then does a "floaty kick" in the air. As she is jumping up, That for me is the Most Intense Bass i have ever heard to come out of my speakers. (80% volume with LFE and Windvd 2.3 with DVD genie 5.1 down-m to 4.1)

#2)Titan AE: During the Ice Crystal scene where two Giant ice crystal collide and form a cave of ice around the little ship. That was really exagurated. "With spectra plus running along side there were peaks in the 25-45Hz Range)

#3)Titan AE: During the Initial Explosion of the Earth, when the one of the chunks hits the moon and slices it in half. Gotta love that... hehe

Whats everyone elses opinion for their favorite "BASS" scene

also runner up for 3rd place was Martrix: when the helicopter explodes into the building. ( At loud volumes only )

I agree that the Matrix has some killer scenes with bass that shakes the room, but nothing I have heard yet can touch the magnitude of the "depth charged" scene on the U-571 DVD. The silence...as one of the first charges falls deeper and deeper underwater...then, BOOM! Wake up the neighbors. You then get a surface view of the charges exploding underwater. The heavy bass of the explosion, then the extreme highs of splashing water. This DVD is a must for any HT buff.

I just watched Red Planet and was actually considering turning down the bass during the movie--was wondering if my company was thinking I had really gone over the edge.

But then it came to me--I have gone over the edge! Aaaaaaa ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha haaaaa!!!

I definately have to agree with jefnel1, U-571 (the depth charge scenes) is absolutely intense.

You're sitting there...then boom, boom, boom... BOOOOOM. I had to look around to make sure it was the movie shaking and not the room.

Domain

I have to agree, U-571 is a great movie to test out your sub. Super Speedway is another dvd that is good, when they go from the pavement to the concrete in the corners and whenever they go under an overpass. And basically any on track action is a great test for any surround sound system.....especially when you are "cranking it up".

yea ditto on that U-571 in DTS. on those charges, my halogen lamp will flucuate kinda like those prison electric chair scenes -

hey, anybody know a good electric chair movie? may have to rent the Green Mile dvd biggrin.gif

------------------

Klipsch KLF-30 (front), KLF-C7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnect & Monster S-12 cable

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Technics direct drive turntable

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

2nd room:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage '75)

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd player

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!

Iron Giant has great LFE content. Plus, any kids in the family will likely love it!

The Haunting is also a good LFE demo DVD. Bad movie, but good sound ...

In Saving Private Ryan, I also like the early D-Day landing scenes. The section where people are bobbing above and below the surface of the water -- going from the gawd awful battle sounds above to the muted explosions and throbbing of the landing craft motors below -- is awesome!

The Haunting DTS is punishing on subwoofers. The scene where the woman gets pulled out of the bed and runs down the hall literally had me and my wife feeling queasy. The house creaking is the most intense bass that I have ever FELT.

The DTS demo disk has a couple of really good bass scenes. The one above is on it as well as the scene from ANTZ when the sneaker comes smashing down near the basket.

If you liked U571 then you should check out Das Boot. Great bass and a better movie as well.

Another vote for U-571.....Jefnel1 is right on describing the quiet prelude while the chrages are falling then BOOM!!!!!!! then the crystal clear highs of the water raining down that scene made my wife jump up from her seat and actually get mad because it scared the Sh-- out of her.

Toy Story 2 opening chapter. Also the scene when the giant pipe falls off the flat bed tractor trailer and is rolling down the street--not sure if this is Toy Story 1 or 2. My kids love those and I actually watch it over and over with them.

Private Ryan beach scene is up there also.

Another honorable mention is definitely Toy Story 2. The sound dynamics of the opening scene with Buzz Lightyear breaching the atmosphere of an unknown planet, and of course the tight, steady bass of the cement pipe rolling down the street in the crossing scene. I myself am not a big fan of kid's movies, but I picked this one up for the sound!

I too liked U-571 and the bass is pretty impressive. But, if you want to see a REAL WWII sub move (and indeed 'the' sub movie of all time) you should rent the new Directors cut of Das Boot. It's got a remastered German 5.1 soundtrack (Unless you really can't stand subtitles, you should definitely watch it in german) which actually has some pretty awesome bass.

Charlie

Toy Story, Toy Story 2 and A Bug's Life are good owns for DVD HT fans. They each have an outstandingly accurate soundtrack throughout the movie.

The Matrix helicopter scene and shootout scenes are great for testing highs and lows, as is the U-571 DVD.

Other pulse pounding bass honorable mentions (in my opinion) are as follows:

the initial meteor shower in "Armageddon"

the fuel plane exploding in "Air Force One"

the blood club scene in "Blade"

cannon battle scenes in "The Patriot"

the "Going Through" scene in "Stargate"

the narrated opening scene of "Terminator 2"

An honorable mention for VHS fans, the Star Wars Episode I THX video sounds awesome with the DSP modes of my Pioneer Elite receiver. Especially the pod race scene. I was amazed at how good a VHS tape can sound if you have the right equipment. Let's hope this one comes out on DVD sometime soon.

A guy I work with also told me that episode 1 was coming out this fall. It is supposed to be loaded with all kinds of extras and be fully ready for 7.1 sound.

Can't wait for that one, or any of the other Star Wars on DVD.

------------------

Home Theater System:

Klipsch Quartets - mains for both systems

Klipsch KV3 - center

Klipsch KG.5's - rear surrounds

Klipsch KSW12 subwoofer

Denon AVR-1601

Music System:

Adcom GFA-555 Musical Concepts Modified

NAD 1600 Pre/Tuner

Sony C-67ES CD Player