LUXMAN..?

Luxman used to make very nice stuff, I think that they are still in business. I am not familiar with those models however. Your best bet is to do some benchmarking on eBay by viewing completed items to see if identical models have passed through. If not find someone that has a current Orion Blue Book for Home Audio to get a general idea on current market value and go from there. Obviously mint or near mint units complete with original boxes, user manuals and accessories would be worth more.

I used a Luxman M-117 power amp for over decade. I only sold it a little over a year ago to move to tubes. It was a great sounding amp.

How old are your units?

The main problem you are going to have is that only someone with a familiarity of the Luxman superior build quality and great sound are going to be attracted to them.

I still own a Luxman M-111 (25wpc x4) that I bought in 91. It has a excellent sound. I bought it for around $300, & 10 years later it sells on Ebay for $200. At the time, they were also making some very nice pro-logic pre-amps.

Good ol' Lux Audio...I almost bought a used Luxman 3-head cassette deck from an Army buddy back in '83 (had real cool acrylic controls that lit up), but instead bought a new Nakamichi DRAGON. That Luxman (or a Tandberg) would've been my second choice.

I listened to a few Luxman models in the 80's and they had a nice, smooth sound to them. The build quality appeared to be first class with a nice feel to the controls. Luxman was known as "the Japanese McIntosh" to a lot of people in the audio business, the sound wasn't as grainy as the Pioneers, Technics's, etc. of the era. If you watch Audiogon and Ebay you'll get an idea of what they're worth.

Luxman is a division of Alpine which always had a great reputation!

the cd player is a nice one

LUX

CD, D-375

Description: 1-BIT D/A, REMOTE

Manufacture Years: 1997 - Current

Additional Information:

Retail

MSRP: $800.00

USED: $140.00

Wholesale

Mint: $80.00

Average: $45.00

I'd give you $80 for that Luxman CD player. I need a decent one for my bedroom system. Do you have the remote and user manual for it? Got any photos you could send? What is its overall cosmetic condition? Lemme know

Frzninvt:

I dont think I want to sell it right away. I need to get rid of my HK 3370 and Cerwin Vegas first....

But Im pretty sure you wouldnt want this unit. If I am correct the CD had been repaired once. Other than that, cosmetically it is mint. I have remote and manual.

I will mssg you when I considering selling it in the future.

Also, I will get some pics of my Lux stuff on here as it seems most people dont know my Lux equip...

-Jamaal

I know, this is more info than wanted, but hey. So I like Some of Luxman's stuff.

Luxman made many different "levels" of equipment over the years. They started out making high quality transformers in the 1930's. In the 50's they made some excellent tube amps ("the Japanese McIntosh"). They even made some kits. In the early 70's they hired the now renown Tim De Paravicini to design some "customed" high-end amps for the American market. One of these was the legendary MB3045 monoblock triode tube amps which employed a special custom made quadrafillar wound output transformer, custom made 8045G output tube & custom made 6240G driver tube. He also designed the SS M6000,4000 & 2000 amps as well as the C1000 preamp. This era is probably Luxman's peak. In 1984 Lux made 200 or 300 SET amps (the MB300) using the Western Electric 300B output tube. These were never imported to the USA. Even more rare than the MB3045, they can fetch $3000-$4000 each.

Shortly thereafter, Lux Corp. was sold to Alpine Electronics. Their equipment from this era on is aimed primarily at the mid level high-fi market. Somewhere along the line, in recent years, Alpine apparently sold Lux & it apears to be an independent company again. Lux has recently entered the high-end market again with their B-1011 mono power amp & C1011 preamp, both $$$$$$$, custom made, on customer order only.

Your best bet for finding out what your A-357 amp & D-375 CD player components are worth is Ebay. Don't forget to check under "completed items".

• 7 months later...

My friend use to dj at parties and used a pair of La Scalas with a top line Luxman preamp and Hafler 100 watt amp with a sound that has not been matched by anything I've heard over the last 20 years!!! IF you go to Yahoo and type in a search on Luxman there is a Luxman group that you can join and post questions. Luxman still makes high end products they just do not sell them in the US anymore. There is a website call audiocubes2.com that sells Luxman products at what they claim to be discounted prices, preamp goes for $3800. I would join the yahoo group and get some idea of what your's are worth and then go to ebay. Good luck!

XMAN

i did some diggin' in the old college stuff and found my old luxman amp. it was a lv-111. basic amp, i found online that it was a 1988 model with 44 watts per channel. my dad bought it for me whe i went off to school...i believe it was the floor model...haven't played it in years, just can't get rid of it - the pack rat in me i guess.