LOOK AT THIS WOLF SPIDER!!!

kenratboy

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

we used to get spiders like this in bellville. when our chickens were small enough, it was actually a danger! but once they got larger they would chase the spiders all around the pen until finally one peck too many killed the spider. it was great fun throwing grass hoppers and moths in there, was like watching rugby! my brother and I used to go "cow killer" hunting. they are the GIANT ant looking creatures that have telescopic, yes TELESCOPIC, stingers, they sting you and then get pushed further into your skin. hurts so much you can kill a cow with your bare hands! though i hear they got the name because the new born calf would be on the ground, stung by the ant and then die if not treated (not sure if it is poison, pain, or just not being able to move to get food that causes that). they are about the size of a mexican peanut shell (about 1-2 inches long!) and about half an inch wide.

As big and vicous looking that spider is, Wolf Spiders are actually quite harmless. Most people do mistake them for brown recluse, which are dangerous. However, a spider like that makes short work of most other pests, such as misquitos, flys, and such.

Still, if I saw that thing on my wall, I'd probably freak too 6.gif. After that, I'd probably try to catch it in a jar, just because it would be cool to look at.

My mother used to try to get my brother and me to keep the spider webs cleaned out of our rooms ( we lived in a converted unattached garage). After finding a scorpion trapped in one web, we were reluctant to do that anymore. At least the spiders stayed on the walls. You could find scorpons anywhere,

Jim N ( of Dallas)

----------------

On 4/4/2003 8:33:07 PM Diggs wrote:

That thing is FAR larger than a brown recluse.

----------------

Yeah, that particular one is much larger than a Brown Recluse. Around here (in Virginia), the wolf spiders much smaller - about the same size as brown recluse (which are also around here).

Great picture

After living in Florida and Georgia where the freaking palmetto bug with a 3 to 4 inch wing span bugs really do phase me.

I think spiders are cool and have sat and watched them for hours. the only thing I could stand was when they crawled into my boots.