LOOK AT THIS WOLF SPIDER!!!

kenratboy

"Now, I like to think of myself as a manly man, but if I seen that on my wall, I do belive I would scream like a 6 year old little girl and seriously freak out."

BRRRRRRRRRRR

The picture made my spine twist!I can defend myself against a human opponent but these spiders make me sick.

Just send an army of spiders and I will surrender! LOL

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Eeek... I just got the cold chills again. Reading other posts here... I thought about my last camping excursion. We have a NICE tent (should be for the price)... and it sets up with a steel frame. So, we are taking it down. It was warm in the tent because we have a stove inside. SO, a few bugs were attracted. I reach my hand up inside the tent rain flap and unhook the poles. The tent falls. A few seconds later a HUGE black widow crawled outa that place where my hadn JUST was. I nearly died. It was the evilest, scariest thing I have ever seen. About as big around as the tip of my thumb (I don't have huge hands... but they aren't girely 2.gif) Shiny black... well, my dad took the rest of the tent down. 14.gif

Geez, if my mother saw something like that in the house, I'd have to call 911! She freaks out when she sees one of those tiny little pin-head speaders or even a Daddy long-legged! I remeber one day while visiting, she started jumping on the couch screaming "A BUG A BUG - KILL IT!! (I was not about to point out the difference between a spider and a bug - as far as she's concerned, they are all bugs.)". I figured I'd see a large cockroach or centipede or other large insect, given the way she was going off - nope, one of those itty-bitty little spiders. Now, just imagine what would happen if she saw something like that! 6.gif

Quite a few years ago when I was a Class I Gun Dealer (along with other hunting gear) my dept. in the store was in the basement and we would see the ususal 1"-2" Wolf Spider. Now I'm not one to picking things like that up and naming them "George" or anything but we did get the Blow Guns off the shelf and had plenty of target practice at about 15 feet or so11.gif.

Hell I didn't even like touching our Fire-Bellied Toad.

hmmm, positives of minnesota's cold weather=no tropical and dangerous bugs! nothing bigger than these black ones that are about 3 inches across. however I do kinda have an extreme phobia towards spiders. that one made my legs get all tingly and not wanna be touching the ground. I just can imagine looking down and seeing one crawling up my leg and trying to beat it off, ick.

----------------

On 4/5/2003 12:49:51 AM djk wrote:

How big can they get?

Do these things moult like crabs?

Anyone ever had a softshell crab sandwich?
----------------

If the guy is telling the truth, that is the biggest one EVER recorded (he took it to the natural history museum or some place like that), ANYWHERE at ANYIME. So, as far as science is concerned, that is the biggest Wolf Spider in the world, literally.

Bruinsrme,

I had an acquaintance who worked for Bell South in Miami, doing line work. He climbed up a pole one day, the pole being enveloped in some kind of climbing vine. He reached up with some tool to open a box above him and a couple hundred palmetto bugs who were nesting in the box fell out on top of him. He said he couldn't get to the ground fast enough. They were in his shirt and pants, hair. He was smashing them all the way down. Needless to say, he took the rest of the day off. First to go home and shower and change clothes.

He has since change careers.

Marvel

----------------

On 4/5/2003 11:03:15 AM Marvel wrote:

Bruinsrme,

I had an acquaintance who worked for Bell South in Miami, doing line work. He climbed up a pole one day, the pole being enveloped in some kind of climbing vine. He reached up with some tool to open a box above him and a couple hundred palmetto bugs who were nesting in the box fell out on top of him. He said he couldn't get to the ground fast enough. They were in his shirt and pants, hair. He was smashing them all the way down. Needless to say, he took the rest of the day off. First to go home and shower and change clothes.

He has since change careers.

Marvel
----------------

What are palmetto bugs?

----------------

On 4/5/2003 11:36:06 AM kenratboy wrote:

What are palmetto bugs?

----------------

It is a type of American Roach. Here is a page that has a brief description of them (about half-way down). They seem to be pretty harmless, more of a nuisance pest than anything (like cockroaches and such).

Yeah, those damn palmetto bugs are everywhere down here in Florida. When I grew up in NY and CT, we never saw a single roach anywhere in any of our homes; unless you were a total slob who never cleaned your place, you just didn't have roaches (I can remember the local Board of Health closing down a family-owned grocery store for all the roaches they had). But down here in FL with this subtropical climate, it doesn't matter how often you have Orkin come out and spray your house. If you're not on top of things, these nasty palmetto bugs will get into your home.

In '81 we moved from CT to Jacksonville, FL (at Colony Cove, a real posh wooded gated community just on the banks of the St. Johns River). Our ranch-style house was immaculant, with 5 bedrooms and a huge family room with a brick and marble fireplace. The house sat vacant for 6 months before we moved in, and inside the fireplace was a hoard of palmetto bugs that had made themselves at home there. Luckily, my dad discovered them a day before we were to actually move in, so he had the entire house tented and fumigated! Ugh!14.gif

When I was 5, we lived at McDill Air Force Base in Tampa for 18 months. My mom came across a banana spider crawling along the bedroom wall (it was about the size of an adult's outstretched hand). She screamed as she threw one of my dad's Army combat boots at it. Her aim was way off as she completely obliterated a hand-made German coo-coo clock my dad bought while stationed overseas that was hanging a foot away from the beast! The second boot finally smashed the spider! My dad wasn't too pleased...he had to clean the guts off the wall, and pick up all the tiny pieces of his little wooden clock...my mom wouldn't go near the mess!7.gif

Roaches. Man, I hate the things.

Ten years ago we moved into a 100 unit apartment that was saturated with roaches.(the german ones I think.)

You would have to torch the building to the brick shell right before winter and let the rest freeze to get rid of them out of that place, it was bad!

You wouldn't think they would be up here in the Northwest, but they are.

We had to leave all the furniture in that place when we moved, and spray everything that we took. Twice, three times.

I had to leave a television set in my car for about two weeks in the 20, 30 degree temps to freeze the ones in the TV.

Even then, one managed to survive. But I found him and mashed him.

After all that, and when we moved into a roach free apartment(thank god), we still found a female with her egg sac in the fridge sitting on a cube of butter.

I know that sounds disgusting, but we were fortunate that she was in the fridge and made herself dormant.

If she hadn't, she would have dumped that egg and we would have been screwed.

She got turned into roach patte.

I hate 'em! I hate 'em! They get in your food, your appliances, and poo all over everthing.

Where I'm at now, we just have a bunch of dust spiders.

We don't even bother them, and they don't bother us.

(They keep other critters in check by eating them.)

In fact, we welcome them with open arms compared to those rotten roach bastards!

14.gif

----------------

On 4/5/2003 1:56:53 PM jt1stcav wrote:

When I was 5, we lived at McDill Air Force Base in Tampa for 18 months. My mom came across a banana spider crawling along the bedroom wall (it was about the size of an adult's outstretched hand). She screamed as she threw one of my dad's Army combat boots at it. Her aim was way off as she completely obliterated a hand-made German coo-coo clock my dad bought while stationed overseas that was hanging a foot away from the beast! The second boot finally smashed the spider! My dad wasn't too pleased...he had to clean the guts off the wall, and pick up all the tiny pieces of his little wooden clock...my mom wouldn't go near the mess!
7.gif

----------------

Awww man, that's gotta suck! Thing is that my mother would have probably done the same thing, and they also have a hand-made coo-coo clock that my brother bought them while he was over seas in the Army. I feel sorry for your father, because I know myself how gorgeous those coo-coo clocks are (and they sure as hell not cheap either). Well, at least that is one less banana spider in the world 6.gif.

"Ahhhhh! Don,t let that spider scare you. Just bite off it,s head and spit it across the room."

A healthy and delicious idea! LOL

Here our cat will chase and eat any uninvited intruder,the cat even catches flies in flight.Anazing reflexes for a 24lbs furr ball.