Using a SPL meter from listening position, whats a comfortable level...

kenratboy

80,85 or so.

90 doesn't seem bad, but around 93, 94 the cones kinda break up on these Norelco/Philips 12" dual cone full-range speakers.

80,85 is nice and comfy, loud enough and dynamic enough.

This with Eico HF-12's converted to HF-14's(EL-84 PP power amps), SVS 16/46's with a junk NAD 2100 power amp bridged to mono wired in series, with a Audio control bass EQ.

I barely push the subs, they'll drown the Eico/Norelco combo in a hurry.

Variable volume out of a Carver tube buffered CDP for the tube amps. fixed out for the subwoofers. NAD and Audio Control EQ have level controls.

Sorry Ken, I'm bored.

I guess I'll go deaf eventually, but I can't help lovin' my pipe organ music realistically loud! My RadioShack digital SPL meter at "A" weighting usually resides between 90-110dB (115-120dB peak)!

What?6.gif

Jim,

Back in the days when I had my '95 Chorus II's with a Yamaha MX-1 amp and CX-1 pre-amp, I could peg 116, 120 decibels at about eleven on the dial.

Not very comfy though, steely sound like a railroad spike through the skull.

Kinda like when you hiked up Manson's "Lunchbox".

Around 8 O-clock sounded rather nice however.

Dunno why I got into tubes, the sweet sound I geuss.

I think it was more for the hobby.

Christ, I need to get my '83 Cornwalls, I'm shootin' for mid-May.

Hmmm...I just re-checked with Hellbilly Deluxe, 98 with peaks of 100. And little cone break-up.

I guess it does depend on the recording.

(But I know it's the subs doing the peaks.)

Between 90 and 100 dB depending on the situation.

Extended periods of around 100 dB can be a little hard to take, this could be due to my SS yamaha amp.

I'll take it up to around 110 when I have friends over and I'm showing off my beat up 22 year old speakers2.gif

Peace, Josh

According to an old book on recording, "Modern Recording Techniques" by Robert Runstein, studios use a playback volume of close to 85 db. Due to the Fletcher-Munson curves, this allows music to be played a little louder and a little quieter without much apparent change in the eq of the recording. I think Invidiosulus said they taught 90 db at Full Sail in Orlando. Then again, recording engineers are listening to music playback at those volumes all the time. Over time the high volume will damage your hearing.

Marvel

Whatd'ya say?6.gif

The grand opening for the latest Guitar Center in Lakeland isn't until the 24th, and management said they'll have several live bands performing for the event. Plus the fact that every department will have music blaring...guitars being played, customers banging on the drums, kids playin' synths, and the DJ room will be a'rockin'!

If I'm deaf now from all the organ music I blast, plus Manson's "Lunchbox" (rarely), and other rock albums (I'm listening to "Moodfood by Moodswings" (1992 Arista/BMG Eurodisc Ltd. 07822-18619-2) at 100dB peak on my SPL meter), then imagine the migrains I'll have everyday at Guitar Center!

Oughtta be fun!9.gif

Kain,

Sure you do listen at 150dB,when a M1 Abrams tank fires at a mud hut!

LOL

Anything louder and you would have to be on the bridge of a large battleship when the main gunns go BOUM!

I listen mostly at 90-98dB range,when I listen to any live rock I will pump the output to the critical 110-115 range.My Klipsch powerhouse system has no truble at all,dual RF7's backed by ATI 2505/1505 and six subs its no big deal.

After my ears will ring,its all good.A true audiophile I am 2.gif