sw-15 and music/movies

cranked

Nice sub. I have an SW-12II that I'm running with legends. It has all of the bass I need. These subs kick the crap out of the KSW series. Not sure how they compare to the RSW, but I'm sure you can pick up the SW for much cheaper. You might want to check in on the 2 Channel froum since I believe there are a couple of others that have SW subs. The one drawback is that they do not turn on/off automatically.

Hi, I've got the THX version of that sub: KT-sw15. It is a great sub as long as you understand it's limitations. When it was designed Pro-logic sound tracks were the norm, and most didn't have any information below 30 hz recorded, so the sub is designed for maximum output from 30 to 100 hz, not down to the 20 hz or lower of some of the newer designs.

With movies, only on a few of the toughest soundtracks can I hear a bit of flapping from the woofer that tells me the frequency is too low for it to reproduce. Within it's designed frequency range, it is an SPL champ, I've measured over 105 DB at my listening position (10 ft away from the sub) when setting the bass limiter circuit on my receiver.

The 15" driver well well suited to movies, is probably not your best choice for tight bass music reproduction. The age of the design shows here as well.

Don't get me wrong, for the price I think you would be hard pressed to find a better quality unit. Mine has been very reliable, and a solid performer. I'm using it in a room that is huge (24 by 40 by 11 ft) and it is able to provide very impressive bass response in the room when placed in an optimal corner position. (about 2 ft from side and back walls)

The SW series was about 4 times the cost when new of the ksw series that followed it and by most opinions is significantly better than the Klipsch down firing products.

It is interesting to see that the latest and greatest RSW subs have returned to the Passive radiator, forward firing design of the SW series subs.

Lyle.