SC-1 Center Speaker Sounds Terrible! Why?

belial

I demoed this speaker before ordering one online and it sounded great--best center I've heard. I ordered one online and got it today and it sounds crumby--kind of tinny, is the best way I can describe it, without much depth or sense of expansion. I've heard many people talking about a "breaking in" period when it comes to new speakers -- could this be the problem?

I know the setup in the store was not the same as what I have at home, but I tried to factor for that as much as possible ...

Could I just have a bad speaker? If so I have 15 days to return it if I do.

Are there any tests I could run to determine what might be wrong with it, if anything?

Any advice much appreciated!

Don't really know what to tell you. I had an sc-1 for several months up until a week ago. It sounded great. I got rid of it to get an rc-3. If you think it doen't sound right return it and try another. If the second one doesn't sound good to you, go for an rc-3. They can be had for not really all that much more, and the difference is incredible. You may want to take your sc1 to a local dealer and compare it to another, that could save you shipping charges.

Hey thanks, Foost, I appreciate your advice!

I think there might be a bit of "breaking in", because after an hour or so of playing music through the SC-1, it is starting to sound a little better. It still sounds slightly distorted up close though.

I thought of taking it into the local shop to compare, but the reason I bought online in the first place, besides the lower price, is that the local Klipsh dealer here is, well, somewhat sleazy. For instance, floor models--i.e. used models--are only 5% off the already inflated price. And you only have three days to make a return!

That's why I thought I'd rather take my chances on line.

As for the RC-3, I'm sure you're right about it sounding better than the SC-1, but I'm planning on getting the SF-2 towers, and the SC-1 is what Klipsh says makes a good match. Do you think the RC-3 would work with the SF-2 towers? I'm concerned it might overpower them.

Thanks again for your response!

Hey Belial, I noticed a similar "problem" with my sc-1. I noticed quite a bit of difference in sound if you change the center speaker from Large to Small on your A/V receiver. It sounded tinny. My suggestion is to set the center channel to Larger speaker, even though the Klipsch manual suggests the opposite. It worked well for me.

Thanks for the advice, AChris. I did try that and it didn't seem to make any difference in the sound quality for me. The speaker sounds both boxy and tinny, and the sound of say a sheet rustling comes off a little crackley. I just hope my dealer didn't sell me a bad one.

I'm either going to try a replacement, or an upgrade to the rc-3.

belial:

Before you try another speaker (hope it isn't too late) you might want to check the wire connections to it to make sure, first, that you are in phase (+ to + and - to -)and second, that the connections are not loose.

The SC-1 is the best match for the SF-2's.

PhilH

Hey PhilH, no it's not too late, I ordered the sc-1 online and supposedly have 15 days to return it if it is "defective," which I think it must be because it just doesn't sound anywhere as good as the one I listened to in a local store.

That speaker was crisp and clear, this one seems dull and almost boombox like. I'm not sure what a blown speaker sounds like but I'm guessing it would be very obvious and this isn't that bad -- but it sure isn't good either.

As for getting the + and the - right, yes that was the first thing I double checked. And I've messed with the dB level as well. Sounds a little better with a higher dB, but not that much better.