Crossover question for Al.

Klipschguy

Greetings Al,

The tweeter in the Heresy I (type E crossover) appears to have a 6dB/octave filter - just a 2uF cap. If I put a 245uH inductor across the postive and negative leads of the K77-M tweeter, would it then be 12dB/octave @ 6,000 Hz like the Cornwalls (which have a 2uF cap + a 245uH inductor in the tweeter leg)?

Would the 245uH be the right inductor choice for a 12dB/octave filter when used with the stock 2uF cap in the Heresy I?

Also, is the stock inductor value in the Heresy 2.5mH, just like the Cornwall, or is it 2.0mH? There seems to be some confusion over the right value.

I really do appreciate your expertise in this area and taking the time to answer my questions.

Klipschguy

Thanks for your quick reply Al.

As you know from my bright Heresy post that I feel like the Heresy is too bright, especially in the lower treble. I changed the negative side of the tweeter from tap three to tap two on the T2A and the mod seems to have worked nicely.

But I'm wondering if I used a 12/dB octave slope on the tweeter in lieu of 6dB/octave and the tap modification, if I would acheive a better result because the lower end of the treble would roll off more quickly and maybe shut that tweeter up a little bit.

I really like the tap mod - the Heresys sound WAY better, but I'm just barking up another tree to make sure I am squeezing all available performance out of my Heresys and making the most suitable correction to the bright tweeters.

Klipschguy

Hey Gang:

Could somebody please send Al K. a pair of beat, up but functional, first generation Heresy's (E-network)in trade for some of his crossover work. Looks like he needs a pair of Heresy test platforms. There has to be some K-horn, Belle, LaScala, Cornwall owners out there with a set of beat up Heresy's their not using.

With the potential increase in sales, Al could probably use a stunningly beautiful assistant as well.

Paul K.

Paul,

YEAH! As my brother-in-law says "My name is Jimmy, I'll take anything you gimme!". The Cornwall network I am a working on could be modified to work in the Heresy if I had one to use as a test bed.

I tried putting the exta inductor into the computer model of the Heresy "E" network. The results were inconclusive. I can't see where it does much.

AL K.

Well, it sounds like I have my Heresy crossovers set up nicely just the way they are - heck, I'm happy, they sound great.

An upgraded, well designed Heresy network project (you know like those "ALK networks") might be worthwhile, but Man I know what it's like to be spread a little thin.

Thanks again Al,

Klipschguy