Buying a NEW home theatre

getwild2

Does anyone know much about the new Klipsch Reference series line of speakers? So far I have: Kenwood, Dolby Digital & DTS, 100x5, receiver with a Sony DVD player, no speakers yet. I'm looking at buying the Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3 (center), RS-3 (rear), and the KSW-12 (sub) in a package deal for $1999. Any comments or suggestions?!!? PLEASE help!

Great speakers, great price on that package. See if you can get your dealer to throw in some free speaker cables. Mine threw in Monster M Series for the front three channels and an M Series amp to subwoofer RCA cable.

Worst they will do is tell you no.

-Fat Bob

------------------

When given two conflicting orders, obey them both.

Not sure how new they are but I've got the Reference series ans I absolutely love them.

The only suggestion I can give is for you to go and listen to them (If you haven't already).

I love mine as do many people at this forum, but speakers are a very subjective item. What I love you may hate. I'd also give a listen to the KLF-20's.

I was a Infinity addict I bought my first Infinity speakers (Qb) back in 1978 and the last 4 speakers (studio monitors) in Nov. 2000 Then I decided to upgrade my set with a amplifier from Yamaha the DSP-A1 The Infinity speakers I had could not be used on this amplifier. The Amp had too much power so I looked for new speakers and my mind was made up I had to buy the Infinity Overture 3. The salesperson insisted in showing me the Reference series from Klipsch. Hearing is believing I changed my speakers for the reference series they sound absolutely fabulously. But take your time and listen a lot before you buy perhaps Klipsch has other speakers which are even better for you it is so personal speakers that it is hard to give a sound advice. Take a cd which you know very well and listen this cd over and over on different Klipsch speakers. But the reference series will not disappoint you.

i'd say go for it, but again i'm biased toward the ref, so yea do listen 1st.

hh, i had infinity 2000 in the 70s also. remember the walsh super tweeter? 360 degree

ice cream cone shape. i blew fuses on those on the hour. ended up putting in car fuses which of course eventually blew out all the higher drivers (the walsh 1st). ended up w/ a drive-in speaker on 1 for a mid-range - after all I was only a teen smile.gif

------------------

RF-3 (front), RC-3, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-15 sub

Monsterbass 400 sub cables & Monster Z-12 speak wire

Sony de935 a/v receiver

Sony DVP-C650D dvdp

Sony Trinitron 27" tv

Technics dual cassette deck

Technics direct drive turntable

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable set-top box

rock on!

quote:

Originally posted by boa12:

i'd say go for it, but again i'm biased toward the ref, so yea do listen 1st.

hh, i had infinity 2000 in the 70s also. remember the walsh super tweeter? 360 degree

ice cream cone shape. i blew fuses on those on the hour. ended up putting in car fuses which of course eventually blew out all the higher drivers (the walsh 1st). ended up w/ a drive-in speaker on 1 for a mid-range - after all I was only a teen
smile.gif

No I had the Qb they had a membrane like tweeter which was easy to toast and blowing fuses was also quit easy. But in my Teens I really like the sound of them. eek.gif

quote:

Originally posted by getwild2:

I'm looking at buying the Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3 (center), RS-3 (rear), and the KSW-12 (sub) in a package deal for $1999. Any comments or suggestions?!!? PLEASE help!

That's a good but not great price. I got four RF-3s and an RC-3 for $1245 ($249 each), not including tax, less than a month ago. Admittedly, I was buying my receiver (an Integra DTR-7.1) at the same time. The dealer is authorized for both Klipsch and Integra. Remember that the RF-3s cost more than the RS-3s, but even if they were the same, there's no way the sub accounts for that $750 discrepancy. I think you can cut yourself a much better deal.

Don't forget that the RF-5s and -7s are going to be out soon, too. . .

• 4 weeks later...

I promised my dealer I wouldn't give out the price I got mine for and that is a promise I'm going to keep. I got the rf-3's,rc-3,rs-3, and ksw12 sub. I wish I could tell you, but I have to keep my word if I want deals in the future, but I got mine deliverd to my door for much, much MUCH lower, it can be done. How much lower you ask? Much lower! Be kind and courteous to your dealer, maybe even offer to buy more than just the speakers, and you might be surprised at what happens. Good luck

(P.s. I'm not kidding MUCH lower, lol)