Is there wood squawker horn for Belle?

tubelion

My next upgrade is to try wood horn if these are available.

Anyone has tried this before? know how to order from some horn maker?

I understand that this may never be done before.

But people talk a lot of how to dampen the horn, isn't it better to have a wood horn.

People do modification on the carbinet, isn't it more beautiful to have wood horn and remove the upper carbinet?

and the k77 horn is small and should be easier to make by wood.

Tubelion

Hello Jim,

Yes, the Jubilee model in your pictures is something I want my Belle to be, thanks you for your post, so I shall look for my wood horn, hope I have some luck.

Hello Khorn 58,

Do you own a 58 made Khorn? Does it have a wood horn, can you show us some pictures. I search in audioaylum, some say old Khorn have a better construction like a tank.

Tubelion.

Billy---Martinelli loaned me a couple of his wood horns, 800hz with 1" throats, and they were rather mediocre sounding, not near as good as my Edgar saladbowls, Eizik's homemade tractrixes or Altec 511s. They look better than they sound; all flat sides, no curves, they are constant-directivity horns and constant directivity horns are NOT the way to go in the home IMO. I've never heard a CD horn that I though sounded as good as a radial or tractrix horn. They lack focus and snap and have poor high frequency response, you MUST use EQ with CD horns.

T - Thanks for the good feedback on the woodhorns. I agree with you about Constant Directivity horns; too "PA" for me.

I'd really like to see what Dr. Bruce would put in this niche!!! Has anyone talked to him recently about this prospect?

I need to hear an Oris horn used as a midrange from about 300 to 5K or so with the Klipsch bass horn and a really fine tweet.

I would also like to hear a larger compression driver and horn. If I'm not mistaken, that's what you ended up doing?

Thanks again, Billy.

Billy---A pal uses the 150hz Oris horns with Supravox drivers and JBL Pro 4648 bassbins. They sound very nice but lack the "sharp", clear sound of compression driver-horns. They are rolled-off somewhat and would benefit from tweeters, perhaps tweets would give some midrange clarity as well. As they are they kinda sound like the world's best TV speakers. Or Bozaks.

Hello,

I don't expect so many information out there, I will take some time to search according to your advice.

Will someone post your pictures with wood horn?

2300 each!!! is really a big money that I can't afford, how much will the acceptable price for you to have a good replacement wood horn?

Thanks very much

Tubelion

Hello Marvel,

It seems not a DIF for most people, at least to me.

If I have an extra horn , I can send it to China, one of my friends owns a wood furniture factory, really nice wood work and professional machine.

Would it be a business,certainly not for me? for a pair of nice wood horn, how much will Klipsch owner be happy to buy?

If 1000US for a pair, he might do it with solid rosewood.

I may want a pair, but right now I prefer to buy one out there if someone has already gone through the design.

Thanks

Tubelion

tubelion,

A pic of a (Never been finshed) raw 58 Khorn with wood and glass mid horn.

This was my first khorn I found it In a antique shop for $ 150 ,what a steel.

Took my 3 years to find a match a 59. found only on ebay same model but it had been painted.

I just love the look of the utilty model most were painted or decorated.

I dont think you can get fir plywood like this anymore with this grain.

Note the special Flinstones horn damper!

I have the later metel horns and to me the early wood/ glass horn sounds better.

I found aMint 51 khorn all orig (found right on this forum)last sumer It sounds even better then the 58. Now to find another 51. The 51 horn has 3 extra flares inside. maybe this is why I like it better or maybe its cross over with huge caps. The 51 bass is tighter/smother with its org Jensen 15 .

The 59 has a trusonic and the 58 Not sure but it is a cast (not ev) but labeledl klipsch.

Build quilty is top notcht on all my early khorns.

The paint job on the 51 is Piano quility

post-7786-13819246984062_thumb.jpg

Hello Khorn58,

What a treasure you have , the wood horn and carbinet are stunning pretty, I love to have one though not posssible to find one in asia, too expensive to ship one to Hong Kong.

It is always my feeling that the vintage audio gear are much better than modern one, people today are too price orientated, won't pay up to the quality of the work.

Your 58 51 Khorn clearly demontrated this point, anyone who want to argue the present 2003 is the best Khorn ever will stop arguing. Just take the oil caps for instance, 51 must a very good caps so difficult to find, in this aspect, they are too size orientated.

I wonder if you could show us the crossover as well, it should be a type A , right? It is also my favorite.

Thanks so much to have shared with us the beautiful and somehow sexy Khorn, I fall in love with it at the first sight.

Tubelion

BillyRyan

While at the recent MWAF, I had the chance to speak at length with Bruce about Khorn mods.

Bruce specifically recommended his new rectangular horn with 2" throat (w/JBL or TAD driver) as the best to use with the Khorn bass cabinet versus his round "salad bowl" horn. He commented that given the usual corner placement of the Khorn, the rectangular horn worked better than the salad bowl. I didn't ask about which horn would work best on the Belle or LaScala.