Is there wood squawker horn for Belle?

tubelion

Mike,

Thanks for the info on Mr. Edgar's new rectangular horn. I'm thinkin' that's a good upgrade path. I like the idea of a larger compression driver (300hz)instead of an Oris. I will e-mail Mr. Edgar and inquire as to price and availability. Thanks, BillyRyan.

Tom,

From the looks of the pics on the Martinelli site, they aren't CD horns and he calls his 800Hz horn a radial.

Erik Forker's site at www.volvotreter.de has his tractrix calculatr and some cool things he has made. Including a friend who made horns from glued up mahogany (four saw cuts).

Marvel

Marvel----Trust me Marvel, they're CD horns, I had them in my hands and used them. And they act and sound like CDs. He copies a JBL CD horn. JBL calls their CD horns "bi-radial". The Martinelli is NOT what has traditionally been called a radial horn; the Altec 511, EV-SM 120A, the original wood mid horn in the old Klipschorn and so on.

Tubelion,

Mr. Edgar is testing the first prototypes of the 300hz exponential horn at this time. He quoted the price of $150 each. Sounds pretty good to me.

I will probably go this route, if for no other reason than the trusted source. I'd probably "adapt" the Klipsch driver at first, while shopping for some JBL 2482's.

In the meantime, I'm moving from AK-2 crossovers to 1st order butterworth. Hovland cap and Solen inductor.

Happy listening, BillyRyan.

Hello Billy Ryan,

Thanks for your useful information.

Why is it 300Hz ? It is different from the present horn and will it match with the bass and tweeter?

The price 150 is very reasonable for a wood horn.

I hope you will post your information along your search.

Good luck.

Tubelion

Tubelion,

Why 300hz? What that means is that the horn lens will provide "horn loading" for the driver down to 300hz. The driver will have it's own frequency ratings, as well. I'm interested in a JBL 2482 compression driver that will also go down to 300hz and will mate to this new horn. The Klipsch driver is rated down to 400hz and would need adaptors to fit the new horn. (I'm also betting the overall size of the new horn is different, too) So some modifications would be necessary. If a new driver is used, crossover work is something to look into.

I'd like to get as much midrange as possible through the compression driver because I like the way compression drivers sound. I'd also like to get more high frequencies (300 - 400hz) off of the 15inch woofer that is inside the Klipsch bass horn. I think the compression driver will do a better job with these frequencies than the 15inch woofer. I also feel that the Klipsch mid driver is excellent until about 95db, then I want more. I always want more.

These are just my opinions and my goals for my version of this wonderful hobby. There are as many opinions and goals as there are audiophiles on this forum. That's what makes it fun.

Happy listneing, BillyRyan

Tubelion---Tractrix horns are problematic on the bottom of the range and do not actually load a driver down to their theoretical cutoff frequency as determined by size and flare rate. Thus to get a tractrix horn to respond down to 400 hz you have to build a 300 hz horn. I owned 550hz Edgar tractrix "saladbowls" but could only use them down to 700hz. The tractrix horns that Bruce builds intended for 500hz use are 350hz horns.

BillyRyan,

Thanks again for the information.

I am impressed with your direction on improving the midrange, I certainly will try if it is not too difficult to install the wood horn.

Can they make the horn fitting with K55? A use of adaptor is kind of troublesome and may affect the sound.

If as said they design the horn for klipsch users, why not make it fit?

Thanks

Tubelion

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm JBL l 2482's I use to use a pair for mids in my old pa sytem,

I always loved there sound.I had them paired up with large 60x 90 SFW horns .

Maybe I should dust them off and try them out with some khorns.

I think the old khorn mid(pre 62 or so) will take a 2" driver if the adapter is removed.

I say one thing they sure can handel a lot of power and are real heavy.

i have jbl 375 2" drivers on community brh90 bi-radial fiberglass horns stuffed into my early 60's vintage khorns. i recently bought the single jbl 2397 wood CD horn mentioned in an previous post, and am using it in a center channel speaker with a jbl 2441 2" driver. i primarily wanted to try the 2397 due to its low profile (about 4" tall) because the idea of a 33" X 10" brh90 on top of the 65" tv was flunking on the WAF (wife approval factor) meter. its my first attempt at building a center speaker to go with the k-horns and i've only had it hooked up for about a week now, but so far i'm pretty happy with how it all sounds. the rest of the center setup is 2 k-1089 10" woofers (from the rf7), one on each side of the tv about a foot off the floor, and an EV t35 tweeter on top of the 2397, which is the same tweeter that's in the khorns. i'm sure i'll be tweaking it for months before i consider it a done... 1.gif