Do any klipsch owners have a SVS subs???

ToddB

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as the RSW-15's capabilities, ask the exhibitors who were around the Klipsch booth at CES (one in particular was getting kind of upset with the deep shaking of their booth). We can hardly wait to get the new subs to market so you can see that what we're saying is true...we've listened to your concerns the last several months about not having a true high end sub in the same tradition of Klipsch's most loved models. There is only so much anyone can do with a small footprint box so the main goal on this project was to produce a musical, high volume, low distortion subwoofer that can keep up with even the Legend and Heritage line, complimenting them with tight, DEEP bass...bass that rivals and surpasses larger and much costlier subs on the market today. Hey, it's GREAT to finally be able to talk about our new subs...I can't wait to hear the responses of everyone here once you get the chance to hear them!

>>>thanks again for the info tv! so how would the bigger sv sub sound along w/ an hgs, or most other brand's powered subs?

complimentary or conflicting or both?<<<

a 16-46 should have about the same clean output as a hgs18. They would match well together I think---holding to typical placement issues of course. Maybe stacking the 16-46 on the top of a hgs18? Keep em' as close together as you can.

>>>DMAN

You mention that if we could could undo the servo we would have a lot more bass. That may be true but the Vel's servo subs WITH the servo and the anal clamp down STILL outperform (deeper and louder) most all other mass marketed subs out there.<<<

The servo HGS units are nearly unparalelled for their ability to produce a lot of clean first octave bass from a relatively small box...I agree.

They're expensive though....and (only imo) a subwoofer costing 3k should be able to produce MINIMUM "reference" requirements in a typical HT environment.

>>>On a semirelated note... TV, do u have any measurements for the max output of the 16-46?

I was looking at the website and coudln't find it.. but maybe i wasn't looking hard enough.<<<

I have quasi-anechoic data,but thats not going to directly relate to the type of data you see in Nousaine's reviews.

I think a dual 16-46 package(600w amp---$1300ish delivered)...would have about the same clean output as dual HGS18s...but thats just a guess,I havent even heard a HGS18(i ahve played with a fsr18 though!)

the new klipsch woofs look to be absolute killers...they'll give the big servos a serious run for the top of TN's data listing!

TV

great idea! so after I get the new amp, that'll be next - either a 16-46 or rsw-15 on top of the hgs-15. we'll see smile.gif

------------------

RF-3 (front), RC-3, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-15 sub

Monsterbass 400 sub cables & Monster Z-12 speak wire

Sony de935 a/v receiver

Sony DVP-C650D dvdp

Sony Trinitron 27" tv

Technics dual cassette deck

Technics direct drive turntable

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

rock on!

looks like the new rsw subs are using an equal sized passive radiator. why don't more of today's subs use these? i haven't noticed (w/ my limited experience) any other subs using them. any cons to them?

do they possibly increase distortion levels for the sake of increased impact or extension?

quote:

Originally posted by boa12:

looks like the new rsw subs are using an equal sized passive radiator. why don't more of today's subs use these? i haven't noticed (w/ my limited experience) any other subs using them. any cons to them?

I was wondering the same thing. Also, why aren't passive woofers used on regular speakers anymore? They are on my Fortes and they seemed to work pretty good. However, in recent times passive woofers have been done away with on the KLFs in favor of ports. Is it just less expensive to build them with ports?

-David

boa12 et al,

No, the tracking downconverter is not a limiter. It is Bob "What, me hype stuff?" Carver's term for part of his amplifier design. Fascinating reading is available at:

http://www.audio-ideas.com/interview/carver.html

Of course, knowing how Bob describes things, there's no guarentee you'll understand any more about what a "tracking downconverter" is after you read the story...

Ray "love my REL" Garrison

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

hey thanks again ray - I can now sleep well smile.gif

may have to look at a REL too for the hgs top for HT slam.

u have any thoughts on the passive radiator?

(as in above that is)

------------------

RF-3 (front), RC-3, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-15 sub

Monsterbass 400 sub cables & Monster Z-12 speak wire

Sony de935 a/v receiver

Sony DVP-C650D dvdp

Sony Trinitron 27" tv

Technics dual cassette deck

Technics direct drive turntable

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

rock on!

thanks for the radiator info guys. so I guess the big ? is why klipsch decided to bring em back for their new rsw sub line(?)

sounds like they're going for the big impact for HT, but maybe not as fast & musical (?)

may not be good to put one w/ a big servo sub without an a/b switch for both HT & music listening. can't wait for the rsw reviews.

TV and others,

I'm going to be building a dedicated HT room and I have the opportunity to create a large enclosure for a built-in subwoofer in the raised platform. Being pretty handy with tools and woodworking, I think I could build a quality sub. Is there a practical design for a sub that would perform better than a reasonably-priced commercial product in this setup? The new RSW-15 sounds like it has great potential at a reasonable ($1,000??) price. Can I better this?

(I'd posted this question a few weeks ago in the architectural and this forum, but didn't get any input)

Ross

Stone, you get the output of a ported sub, with less distortion, tuned even lower, in a smaller box. That's the advantage.

boa, since the tuning point of the PR's in a sub like this is so low, and they are so large and heavy, that above like 25hz or so, they are barely moving (if at all), the PR's don't start to kick in until lower frequencies where group delay is somewhat less important. Above the point where the PR's really start to move, the sub is probably (not sure) operating at a point somewhere between where a sealed & infinite baffle subwoofer would.

A large, well-designed PR alignment should blow the doors off a servo in just about every category. (Tightness, Output, Depth) I've heard a design using Lambda Acoustics drivers (the GOT12 alignment for anyone that cares), that was just awesome. There was a version of it that gave clearn response well up to 500hz(!) to blend in with his new horn speakers. Too bad Lambda doesn't sell drivers anymore frown.gif

Look at how the Stryke 15" performed on TN's tests (look for a thread started by TV lower down the list.) That was a large (22" cube) PR alignment. I can't wait to get my hands on one of those.

Ross, it was my understanding the RSW-15 will have an MSRP of $3,000.

Charlie