Do any klipsch owners have a SVS subs???

ToddB

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Return of the PR! (did the lf have a pr?)

anxious to see some rsw reviews.

------------------

RF-3 (front), RC-3, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-15 sub

Monsterbass 400 sub cables & Monster Z-12 speak wire

Sony de935 a/v receiver

Sony DVP-C650D dvdp

Sony Trinitron 27" tv

Technics dual cassette deck

Technics direct drive turntable

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

rock on!

>>>TV and others,

I'm going to be building a dedicated HT room and I have the opportunity to create a large enclosure for a built-in subwoofer in the raised platform. Being pretty handy with tools and woodworking, I think I could build a quality sub. Is there a practical design for a sub that would perform better than a reasonably-priced commercial product in this setup? The new RSW-15 sounds like it has great potential at a reasonable ($1,000??) price. Can I better this?<<<

For $1000, you could build a subwoofer unparalleled by any manufacturer.(at the same price)

theres going to be some issues to deal with if you want to use the platform as the actual enclosure? You'd be better off building a seperate enclosure---and having the ability to corner load it. But the platform could work very well with a little preplanning, and some EQ.

how big is the room, and how loud and low would you like the sub to have the ability to play---without strain?

>>>Yea I understand the tuning point, but I still though the advantage was the "push pull" effect. Maybe someone else could elaborate on the advantages. I sure see them used alot in diy configs.<<<

Push/pull often implies dual active drivers firing in an opposing pattern. This will cancel the reactive forces that the drivers will impart onto the enclosure...generally reducing harmonics a bit.

You can alos have *push/pull* like the MKs do...not for the reactive forces...but to try to equalize the motor deviations of each driver. the way MK does it, when one driver is pushing forward in it's motor---the other driver is pushing BACKWARD. So since any inherent motor *issues* tend to occur at moderate/full excursion one way or the other...this can help *tame* them a little.

two PRs can also be considered *push/pull*...if they are opposing one another...this will help cancel their reactives going to the enclosure. A PR and a active driver won't really see much benefit though...they won't be doing the same thing at the same time.

TV

TV,

Thanks for the reply! Like I said, I'd asked this in the Architectural forum but it seems almost nobody goes in there...

My HT room will be a converted single-car garage. Concrete floor (carpeted) with insulated double-studded walls (6-inch plates and headers with offset 2X4 walls) and a floating insulated ceiling. The room dimensions will be approx. 11' wide by 20-22 long, with a ceiling height of about 8 feet.

I'll have a raised platform of a yet-to-be-determined size. I'm not by any means locked into using that space for a sub - it seemed like an empty volume just begging to be utilized. I'm certainly open to corner placement, or any other suggestions you have.

As far as volume levels I require, I haven't a clue! smile.gif I'm not advanced enough to know what I need. I'lll be using my Denon AVR-5800 with RB-5's in front, RC-3 in the center, and four RS-3's for side and back surrounds. I have a KSW-12 right now, but I don't think it will keep up with the other speakers and I'm open to suggestions for either "off the shelf" subwoofers or DIY.

Thanks so much,

Ross

Mr. V,

Having done a bit more research, and reading some posts at AVSForum, it looks like one (or maybe I should say, two) of your SVS subs is the best route to take. No need for me to try to reinvent the wheel and maybe end up with something mediocre.

Being familiar with my Klipsch speakers, and taking into account the room arrangement I described, which SVS setup would you recommend? I have a B&K ST140 amp I could use, if it's a decent candidate, but I think it's not renowned for it's low end punch. I'm open to either the PC series or buying another amp. My Denon only has an 80hz crossover option, so not much adjustment there. Is that a problem for an external amp sub?

Guide me, oh bass master... biggrin.gif

Ross

I am curious as to how the Hereseys sound? Did you get a chance to audition them? How do they compare to the Legend line and Ref line on mids, highs and bass?

I like my Legend combo a lot but I have always wondered if I should have gone to the Heritage line and look at the Heresey or the Lascala's?

I wish I could have heard them when I went shopping for my new speaks. At least you have heard them once upon a time. I don't think you could go wrong with any of the Heritage line myself. I have read that they have a good sound and I would be willing to bet you won't have any second thoughts on the matter once you hear them.

>>>Mr. V,

Having done a bit more research, and reading some posts at AVSForum, it looks like one (or maybe I should say, two) of your SVS subs is the best route to take. No need for me to try to reinvent the wheel and maybe end up with something mediocre.<<<

the *packages* offer our best cost/performance ratio

twin passives/700w samson S700--and you can even add a 31 band eq with adjustable subsonic filter now.

>>>Being familiar with my Klipsch speakers, and taking into account the room arrangement I described, which SVS setup would you recommend?<<<

well, in a relatively *sealed* 22/11/8 room---you got about 2000 cu-ft.

In this environment---a single SV will allow you to approach reference levels with all speakers set to large. If you reroute the low bass from the main channels to the subs---I'd still recommend dual SVs if you wanted full reference capabilities.

>>> I have a B&K ST140 amp I could use, if it's a decent candidate, but I think it's not renowned for it's low end punch.<<<

what can it do into 4ohm?

>>> I'm open to either the PC series or buying another amp. My Denon only has an 80hz crossover option, so not much adjustment there. Is that a problem for an external amp sub?<<<

80hz is usually fine for HT.

TV

so I call velodyne's own tech support line to check on a few things & 1 of their techies (who says he's a 50 yr veterern) tells me that the HGS-15 sub should not be used w/ klipsch speakers. says 2 CT-150s (less $ than 1 15) or possibly an HGS-18 would work.

says that since klipsch play so loud w/ their

high efficiency the hgs really aren't loud enough to compete. says hgs go better w/ less efficient speakers like the Quad.

didn't have the time to talk w/ him further. could this be the HGS servo/limiter factor or what is he talking about?

i can't put my 15 in a corner, so i thought that may be why the lack of gut wrenching bass. but now i'm thinking take the hgs back

& get 2 other vel sub models or wait for the rsw-15 (may have to get 2 of those to suit the dealer).

hard to believe this guy. maybe it was his last day. the hgs is vel's flagship model.

any thoughts on this vel tech's thinking?

------------------

Velodyne HGS-15 sub

Sony de935 a/v receiver

Sony DVP-C650D dvdp

Sony Trinitron 27" tv

rock on!

I spoke to a Velodyne rep before buying my HGS 12 and I was told to look at the CT 150 also as the HGS are to expensive. I told him I could buy their best as I had the money then he said to go for the HGS 15 or 18 but in my room, in a corner, the HGS 12 might work.

Your HGS 15 should give you about 6 DB more output across the board then my 12. I think you can expect 3 or 4 DB more from a corner load (seemingly doubling your output) If you are not in a corner and your room is less then great for bass your now looking at my HGS 12's output capability or less (when in a good corner). I have great bass but I want more for movies... I have also had my sub go POP several times when pushed to MY extremes just like I like it. I should have got an HGS 15 or 18 and put it in the corner only to provide me the extra head room that I don't have with my 12. My 12 is a very clean and powerful little sub and it continues to impress me everyday BUT for the money it looks like we do have other options to pursue these days.

I am also very interested in one of the new Klipsch 15" subs providing there what Klipsch says they are. Talk about headroom. I just hope they can match my current QUALITY of bass provided from my Velodyne...

dman & rw, part of the reason I called vel was i was getting some bottoming out of the sub like say on the beach of Priv Ryan in DD (I got it before the DTS version came out) with the output at 6-7ish & the crossover out (which I do for movies). i think what the tech was saying is that the hgs w/ their accelerometer servo control/limiter, like TV keeps pointing out, make the hgs more compatiable for music listeners that prefer nice tight, clean, low disortion bass but at the sacrifice of high output from HT effects.

iow, the servo in itself reduces the efficiency of the hgs to produce high SPL as the mixers intended whereas the klipsch have no such limits.

i think i fall into the latter category where I could put up w/ more distortion to gain the

higher SPL. i mean the 15 does shake things up pretty good on the HT explosions & such, but i'm thinking that 2 stacked non-servo subs or at least the HGS-18 or FSR-18 may be more the ticket for me. the dealer is going to be sick of me pretty soon smile.gif

warning: be sure to audition in your home area before sticking w/ a sub set-up.

------------------

Velodyne HGS-15 sub

Sony de935 a/v receiver

Sony DVP-C650D dvdp

Sony Trinitron 27" tv

rock on!

I have to agree with you regarding the Vel and music/movies. I think they are a terrific music sub and a good movie sub but not terrific (my 12" anyway). I am also willing to sacrifice a little for a better movie sub as that's where I enjoy it the most anyway. My wife on the other hand is steadfast in that we are not getting rid of the Velodyne for something else but instead it is ok to add something more for my movies and she'll keep what she's got for her music.

I have been considering the new RSW 15 or Stryke Audio subs. With the total claimed output of these subs I should be able to keep distortion very low as I will never need to push them near the peaks.