Do any klipsch owners have a SVS subs???

ToddB

yea have u seen the home theater review of the hgs-15 @ www.mcnaur.com/velo.dyne/ ?

these guys think it's great for HT but just ok for music. i guess it's pretty subjective. has anyone ever seen the 25hz or even average output of the HGS-18? figure it's about the same as their F series 18s. & on nousaine, the hgs-15 is near the top, but I have to wonder how 2 CT-150s stacked would sound (that should be about 111db @ 25hz accordingly) & they don't have that accelerometer.

so if the dealerlady (who is my wife equivalent smile.gif goes along i'd consider exchanging for either:

- 2 CT-150*

- 1 HGS-18*

- 1 RSW-15*

*dealer basically only offers Vel or klipsch subs

the rsw is the wild card since we're in the quiet period. but i wonder between the 1st 2

choices which would have the higher HT slam (albeit at higher distortion) my guess is the 2 CT. & that includes the ability to turn up outputs dman biggrin.gif

------------------

RF-3 (front), RC-3, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-15 sub

Monsterbass 400 sub cables & Monster Z-12 speak wire

Sony de935 a/v receiver

Sony DVP-C650D dvdp

Sony Trinitron 27" tv

Technics dual cassette deck

Technics direct drive turntable

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

rock on!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh & now I realize the rsw has that back (I think) radiator which means like w/ a rear port u need to place it about 8 in. out from the back wall. i don't have the space for that for now.

------------------

Velodyne HGS-15 sub

Sony de935 a/v receiver

Sony DVP-C650D dvdp

Sony Trinitron 27" tv

rock on!

you guys are too territorial biggrin.gif i'll bet my 1st born that the velodyne HGS 15 or 18 will beat by far the rsw-15 or any SVS in the clean tight bass category (i.e., THD). i've done my research & word is Larry Greenhill (Stereophile) uses the HGS-18 for his main ref sub & Tom Nousaine has an HGS-15 in his bedroom. so there biggrin.gif

------------------

go forth & hump the world

>>>you guys are too territorial i'll bet my 1st born that the velodyne HGS 15 or 18 will beat by far the rsw-15 or any SVS in the clean tight bass category (i.e., THD). i've done my research & word is Larry Greenhill (Stereophile) uses the HGS-18 for his main ref sub & Tom Nousaine has an HGS-15 in his bedroom. so there<<<

SVS sent Tom Nousaine a 20-39cs package a few months ago...so we may all be able to compare the SVs to the other guys sooner or later. A 20-39cs package(dual passives and the old 600w fidek amp) was delivered <$1200. The new package with the 700w Samson amp(with no fan noise) is still delivered <$1250.(about 40% of the VELs price)

I think the 20-39s will hold their own just fine from about 21-22hz and up...but time will tell...

TV

You know TV your subs seem like they are an awesome deal. My only problem is that I read somewhere that either the HSU or SV subs (both similar) are somewhat top heavy and could possibly fall easily. How are they for a livingroom with young kinds that will ,of course, bump it at some time or another? Is there any truth to this?

that cylinder design is the answer to my space limited dreams though. how much do the magnet & assemblies weigh? being on the bottom that should be a pretty good anchor.

i dont think i'd put 1 on top of my vel sub though smile.gif

god I need a free corner. for placement, how bout behind the couch placement, middle side wall?

I think the weight is on top? I have read something somewhere that they are not that secure from fall-overs because of that. It may have been about the HSU's subs but I would love to hear from somebody that has one to see what they think about that.

>>>You know TV your subs seem like they are an awesome deal. My only problem is that I read somewhere that either the HSU or SV subs (both similar) are somewhat top heavy and could possibly fall easily. How are they for a livingroom with young kinds that will ,of course, bump it at some time or another? Is there any truth to this?<<<

The SVs all have a 1" thick MDF baseplate assembley(with rubber molding edged in all around!)...along with bottom firing drivers. The majority of the weight is near the bottom of the enclosure...making the chances of an accidentally *tipover* near 0%.(this was a prime design consideration btw)

The HSU TN20s are a bit unstable...but being >50" tall with a 12" base and almost all the weight at the top(the driver is top mounted)...that's no surprise. The TN25 shares the same *issues*, but since it's only about 32" tall(?)...it's not that big of a deal really(imo).

of course Hsu also has the very stable VTF-2(box)...good subwoofer at a resonable price!.

TV

tv, how much do the magnet structures weigh total on the sv subs? how many ports? are they pretty flexible for placement? the only place I could put 1 is on the side wall behind the couch (which is around the rear-middle of the room).

------------------

Velodyne HGS-15 sub

Sony de935 a/v receiver

Sony DVP-C650D dvdp

Sony Trinitron 27" tv

rock on!

>>tv, how much do the magnet structures weigh total on the sv subs?<<

I cant remember down to the ounce off hnad...the entire driver weighs about 11-12Lb.

>> how many ports?<<

Single 4" flared port

>>> are they pretty flexible for placement? the only place I could put 1 is on the side wall behind the couch (which is around the rear-middle of the room).<<<

The SVs will be at the same *mercy* as any other subwoofer when placed in room. Room modes won't overlook the SVS just because we'd like them too.

btw---if you're hoping for a day/night upgrade going from the HGS15 to a single SV...save your money.

If you're willing to purchase a 20-39 package at about 50% of the retail cost of the HGS15...I think you'd have a day/night improvement.

TV

tv, after talking w/ the vel PR/Tech guy i was kind of shocked when he said klipsch speaks are really too loud for their hgs subs. contrary to the dealer, says hgs are better suited for less efficient speaks. (nothing like post-purchase confirmation smile.gif. so all i can do now is exchange the 15 for the 18 & hope to move more air for that +4 or so db. package i guess means 2 subs. i doubt i'd go back & forth between subs for ht & music, so i may give a single 16-49 a try & compliment??? for ht the hgs-18 after that arrives (2 more subs, even svs, would be really pushing my space limits). so would a vel hgs-18 & 16-49 work well together for all modes or would the added 16-49 not be a good idea? as always, thanks for your time & great info.

------------------

Velodyne HGS-15 sub

Sony de935 a/v receiver

Sony DVP-C650D dvdp

Sony Trinitron 27" tv

rock on!