Academy anyone?

bev

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sadly, it would be cheaper and easier to find a Cornwall to use as your center channel. I have my Sony 43" HDTV sitting on top of my center La Scala, it is about 6" taller than the original stand was, and it works real well. A huge jump from the KV-4 that previously resided on top of the TV. I have a pair of extremely rare Acoustron LWE-IA's that can be used as center channels, they are narrow (depth-wise) the EV T-35 is already mounted vertically, they have a CTS 15" Woofer that was also used by Klipsch and have a 6" CTS cone midrange that would provide great dispersion. Efficiency is 96-97db @ lW @ lM, think of it as Cornwall bass in a package the size of a Heresy (Sealed Enclosure). They also feature a Room Gain adjustment along with the Tweeter and Midrange Level adjustments to fine tune output. I would let the pair go for $250, they are extrememly heavy! (65 lbs) apiece. I would be using one if I did not already have a La Scala. Just a thought!

I have photos! Just email me. I would keep them, but I just have too many speakers! If you really want to be creative these speakers have a "motion feedback" (Servo) circuit in them that can be used to reinforce the bass on the woofer if so desired.

Exact dimensions are 25H X 17W X 12D, too big for your application I believe. I have a 1970 Stereo Review test article on them that I could email to anyone interested. They rated very, very well. They are in fantastic shape and all original! I did post them on eBay briefly before ending the auction since I had decided to keep them.

I was contacted by the President of Parasound who remembered the speakers and complimented me on my ad. I was also contacted by Jim a Head Design Engineer at Klipsch who was interested in them for the Klipsch museum. Louis Erath (the designer and builder) knew Paul Klipsch and they may have possibly collaborated on them. They are extremely rare and I have never seen another pair for sale anywhere.

Just thought you may want a little history.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, it's official...I have an ACADEMY!!!

Thanks to Dave, who responded to my whining, I have a beautiful black Academy perched atop my 58-incher. Got it yesterday, and stayed up way too late enjoying it. The difference is amazing...it is seamless with my Chorus II's and Forte II's...

Moral of the story:

If you've been thinking of giving up the search for an Academy - DON'T! Well worth it!

Second Moral of the story:

Klipsch forumites are the best!

9.gif

Congrats Bev! I had a very similar experience while searching for my Academy. You just have to stick to it and eventually you get one. I've got an oiled oak Academy to match my Forte II's.

Eventually, despite past thinking, I plan to pick up some Chorus II's and move the Forte II's to the back. Yeah, yeah Rob, I know you told me this would happen. 2.gif

Again, congratulations Bev! Enjoy.

BTW, for those who asked about parts, here's the list of what's currently available for the Academy:

129030 K-76-KV Tweeter Assy. $45.32

120816 K-1011-KV Woofer $110.13

116321 Academy Network $41.22

er-

Ah ha! Good stuff for sure. Now there are two folks on the lookout for a similar system, you and Chickey. He already has the Chorus II/Academy front, and I keep trying to spend his money for Forte II surrounds. 9.gif Good luck in your search. Someday we'll need to get together again to compare systems.

So,

The Academy when used with FORTE-II's are pure Nirvana, eh? At first I was skeptical about this, thinking that it was all hyped up. Now you all have me quite curious. I think I'll start trolling for one too, just out of curiosity to see how it blends with my Forte-II's in front (and KG-1's in back). PErsonally I have been pleased with an RC3-II in the center position but apparantly I have been really missing the boat..

"Personally I have been pleased with an RC3-II in the center position but apparently I have been really missing the boat.."

Yes, you have.

Timbre matching is CRITICAL in the center channel. The RC-3 may sound OK, but until you get the proper match in the center, you are not really getting what you are paying for. Make the effort to get that proper match....it's worth it! Ask any Academy owner....it truly is the best small package center channel solution for the Heritage voiced speakers.

Of course, a third Forte, just like your mains, would be the ultimate in center channel performance. Since most cannot accomodate a full sized center speaker, the Academy is the logical timbre matched center for your Fortes - if you can find one. A single Heresy may be a consideration, too, if you find the search for an Academy to be too much of a pain, and can make room for a Heresy. Some will go the custom route as well - a popular trend here on the forum - which serves as an example of the importance of center channel timbre matching.

I will also make the statement that the center channel speaker should be the FIRST speaker selected in a home theater installation, if starting from scratch. The entire system revolves around the center - where up to 75% of cinema sound comes from - so the importance of the center cannot be overstated.

That concludes my lecture for the day2.gif