Need help with Klipschorn pickup

sheltie dave

Hey everyone,

I need a little guidance on picking up a set of klipschorns and a belle. I'm going to be transporting all three in a truck or van/suv that I will be also buying this week, and I need to know what dimensions the khorns are when they are broken down. I have the overall dimensions, but not the bass bin/horn sections. The speakers are not boxed, so advice on how to pack them would be appreciated.

For those of you who have moved the khorns, what vehicle did you use and how much extra space did you have? I think I might have to rent a U-haul trailer, but if there is a van or suv I could rent that could haul the whole shebang, I would also consider that.

I can't wait to get the speakers up to St. Louis. All three are the satin black finish, so it looks like I will have an all Heritage home theater (in black)! Edster, if you read this, I'll be picking the speakers up in Atlanta, and I would love to visit your shrine to Klipsch and tubes.

Cheers and thanks in advance,

Dave

I can give you approximate dimensions of the speakers. Both the bass bins and the top sections are ~31¼" wide. The bass bin is ~39½" tall and ~24" deep. The top sections are ~12½" tall and ~27½" deep at the point (~24" deep at the lower back edge). You should be able to get them all in a cargo van really easy. I got a pair of Belles in the back of my Jeep and jhawk92 just got his K-horns in an Explorer.

You are more than welcome to come by and check out my Klipsch but I am pretty tube shy at the moment. My Moondogs are currently at the "vet" getting their shots. I have the K-horns hooked up to a high powered (25wpc) Monarchy SS amp at the moment. The Cornwalls are being driven by a tube amp but I really need to get some decent tubes for it.

Shoot me an email edster00@mindspring.com and we can set something up.

I guess you bought the rig I posted about here a few weeks ago. I'll bet you got a great deal!

Edster,

right you are!1.gif My wife told me if I bought another set of large Klipsch speakers, we would buy a new house to fit them all in. (new house in one month)...

All three of my heritage additions have resulted from WAF space assessments. The wife assesses, and decides there is not enough space in the house for the Klipsch speakers. I have really lucked out on the walnut Belles and you(Edster) turned me on to a screaming deal with the Khorns and Belle. I overspent by a little bit getting my first set of Klipsch - the La Scalas - but that was before I knew about this forum. My wife said there is no way I can buy a set of Cornwalls, but she likes the Heresies. Is that approval for...?

She also likes that our three month old son will not be able to pull the speakers over onto him. Tip factors and child safety are going to be real important for the next couple of years in our house.

Hobbitt - were your ks and belle boxed, or bare when you put them in the Caravan? Was it a Grand Caravan or normal sized. They rent for fourty a day in St. Louis with unlimited mileage, which would work great for a Georgia road trip.

Cheers,

Dave

I was able to get my Khorns in my '94 Pontiac Transport SE, I took all the seats out except the driver and passenger. I placed one bass bin face down on a doubled over blanket up against the seats through the side door, and the other through the rear door. I then wrapped the top portions in blankets and gently laid them at an angle resting on the rear area bass bin. The 4 grill pieces I laid on the back of the speaker that was closest to the front seat. I believe the Dodge Caravan has enough clearance so that the bass bins can stand upright (they are 40"). They were a tight fit but I got them in and out and inside without any damage, I had to go over mountain passes and winding roads and there was no shifting thank goodness. Good luck with your move!

Dave-

Here is the post I made concerning my Khorn pickup.

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=33513&sessionID={CB3E80DD-07D1-408B-A82D-A02A352666DF}

I can post exact dimensions on the Khorn bass bins and top cabinets once I get home, but Edster's dimensions are pretty accurate. I would not have been able to fit a Belle in my Explorer.

Glad someone on the boards got that 3-piece deal. If black were my finish, I'd have thought seriously about that system.

Rob

I just want to say, having experience hauling my Khorns around, from here to storage, out, back in, I transported everytime. I have the original shipping boxes and I own a GMC 4X4, it took "2" trucks(my brothers 1/2 ton ford)and us 2, to haul them around, and not truly fun, ever pack the bottom end of the Khorn, top is easy. The La Scala's were always a seperate trip in 1 truck. Hersey's will fit in a car, barely.

To add, the trucks aren't open, I have a canopy as well as my brother, so limited, not upright. The Khorn boxes are huge in their own right, 4 pieces, actually more like "shipping crates".

In a SUV, forget it....2.gif

I stand corrected, wouldn't want to help FRZ pack them in...4.gif

During my misspent youth, I regularly loaded 4 Speakerlab K-horns and a bunch of other stuff into a U-Haul trailer (5 x 10). The speakers were fully assembled. You could easily put 2 Khorns into a 5 X 8 U-Haul trailer with plenty of room for padding.

Good luck and enjoy!

Edster,

I probably won't be down to Atlanta for a couple weeks to pick up the khorns and Belle. I just picked up a three week contract to characterize the radioactive contamination levels at a steel mill across the Big Muddy(Mississippi)in East St. Louis. Besides dodging potholes and bullets in ESL, our son is STILL waking us up every two/three hours for more food. Tired, tired, tired. We are hoping he slows down a little and actually starts sleeping through the night, but not even a glimmer of hope yet. He is three months old on Easter Sunday, and he tips the scales at 18 lbs 3 oz today. I'm going to start him bench pressing three pound barbells this weekend!

On the happy side, I have a good friend that is a master Amish finish carpenter. He already has taken a liking to the vast expanse of exposed surface area for some exotic or classic veneer, and he wants to know two things... what are the nicest two veneers Klipsch used on the Khorns, and does anyone have the classic Klipsch PWK logo in jpg format. He thinks he can scale it up and intall it as a large monogram on the tops or fronts, if we do veneer them9.gif

Cheers,

Dave

Sheltie Dave,

The vast majority of "B" style cabineted k-horns were veneered in black walnut (the favorite of PWK). Other veneers used were Brazilian Rosewood, ebony, zebrawood, oak, mahogany, teak, maple, cherry, and numerous others.

IMHO...if you decide to veneer your k-horns in an exotic wood...and have a marquetry technique used to apply the PWK logo into the top panels of them...I would go with Brazillian rosewood for the veneer...using bookmatches on the front panels...no more than six bookmatched strips in the application with one of the bookmatches running vertically down the center of the speakers...and the rosewood having minimal in width expanses of "black" in it(IOW, mostly the tones of red with possibility of some FINE "black" streaking, but no WIDE "black" streaking)...then using marquetry techniques, apply jet black ebony veneer for the logo marquetry inlay into the top panels...that way it would be subtle but "classy"...visible but NOT "overpowering"....and to top it all off...quite beautiful! An added benefit is that both rosewood and ebony share a similar "waxiness" or "oiliness" in there texture or "feel"...they are both of the same type of grain structure, ie, tight with fine grain...making them both so similar in these respects that the finish would be fluid in its appearance...I would also go with the oiled finish for these...in lieu of a laquered finish. Just be sure to run the grain in the same direction for this when doing the marquetry for the logo...that will ensure the "fluidity" of the appearance.

I am sure that your Amish woodworking friend will agree with this choice of woods for this particular application...and how the final end-product will appear "classy, but not overpowering"...and beautiful.

To find the logo, go to top of this page, click on "home"....then click on "site map"...then click on newscenter(photogallery)...then where it says "product line", go down to "MISC"...then when those pics come up...go to bottom of that page and you will find the "Paul W. Klipsch logo" in both black and gold. Click on them and "save as" JPG format.

I recently went to Maryland from Houston (1600 miles one way) and picked up a pair of Klipschorns in my 1998 Chev 1/2 ton truck. I wrapped each speaker in 4 layers of 4 mil plastic to keep the water off. Also built a palette to keep the speaker bottom about 2 inches off the truck bed. I placed the Klipschorns facing each other and separated them by 3 inches of dense foam, using ratchet straps to hold together and to hold to the truck. The side of the speakers were against the cab with some foam for protection.

There was enough room left in the bed for a Belle speaker.

I got the speakers back to Houston with no problems.

I have a picture of my truck with the speakers on it, I was taking a picture of the house so the image of the truck is small.

post-11342-13819246997812_thumb.jpg

HDBR-

Guess that is pretty simple. Thanks much! BTW, thanks for your recommendations on the linseed oil. My new acquisitions have two coats of the stuff on them now and they are looking quite nice. I figure one more coat this weekend and then I'll back them in the corners where they belong and let the tunes start! I may have to go get more to do my OO HT speakers (all 3 pairs)! If anyone has questions if the linseed oil will do the trick, it will. Guess HDBR gets to keep his "prince" title for a bit longer.

Rob