Help with Receiver choice

BigStew

Okay folks, I am one of those who has totally gone off the deep end since seriously getting into music and HT with my Klipsch speakers. Current setup is:

Yamaha RXV1000

Klipsch RF3, RC3, RS3 and KSW12

JBL Studio Monitor 4406 for rear center channel

Pioneer Elite DV-C36 DVD changer

Yamaha CDC775 CD changer

(yes I am lazy and did not want to mix and match my CD's and DVD's)

Dilema: I want more flexibility out of a receiver than I have now. I am using an old crappy Technics receiver to power my rear center channel through the pre-out of the Yammie (and I don't like it). I have decided to go big and get either a B&K 307 or the Denon 5800. Based on every thing I have read these are the two finest on the planet in terms of 7 channel, great HT and excellent for 2Ch music. I do not get into the surround effects so that is not an important option to me. I am really leaning towards the B&K, but I know a ton of people on this site have and love Denon's and I would appreciate some feedback before I step into the abyss.

Just curious about what you mean by "more flexability?" The RXV 1000 is has some good features...what is it the B&K is offering you that has tweaked your interest?

Have you considered a amp/preamp? May be worth considering--lots of people here get into their tubes. You could get a serious tube amp for the cost of the 5800. Check out sasaudiolabs.com (interesting 7.1 channel tube setup).

Well for starters I like the 7 full amp channels and the ability to be software upgraded for future technologies (i.e. DD2, DTS-ES, etc.). It has 6 digital coax inputs (my yammie has 2 and I need three) and 5 optical inputs. You can adjust the crossover frequencies for all channels but I am mainly interested in the subwoofer crossover. The RXV-1000 is fixed at 90Hz and the B&K307 can be set at almost any frequency in 5Hz increments. I like to have HT set around 80Hz and 2ch music a little lower to take advantage of the RF-3's. In a nutshell I don't want to have to make another purchase for a long, long time and I think the 307 and the Denon5800 will more than suffice for the next 10-15 years (after owning the RXV1000 for 7 months I know I would not be happy with it for that long). Also, of course, they sound much better to me than what I have now.

I also looked into separates (B&K, Conrad Johnson, Sunfire, Lexicon, Adcom and Parasound) but for the space I have and the budget, I think the two receivers I am looking at would be a better fit.

what about the integra dtr 9.1 ? it has upgrade capability via an rs232 port, and integra already has a dts-es upgrade on thier website for dtr9.1 owners to access to download into their receivers! also, i usually prefer to listen to music in stereo, but 5-ch. stereo sounds pretty cool! for more info check www.integrahometheater.com .i sell the dtr9.1 for about 2500.00. i sell yamaha also. check it out before you decide. avman

Last year, I did the "shopping for a receiver thing" (to replace my trusty ole Yamaha RXV-1070) and I actually had three different receivers at home. Not truly happy with any of those I tried, I ended up biting the financial bullet and buying the Denon AVR-5800. I could not be more pleased! I do like the B&K, and I think the Integra is an incredible value, but I'm firmly convinced that the 5800 is the best in its class. I've listened to it with my RB-5s, my Heresy IIs and my LaScalas - I'm in music and HT heaven. For some great info on the 5800, check out this site.

Ross

(MIA for a while during the move, but glad to be back on the board!)

BigStew,

Did you consider the Yamaha RX-V1? It is a little cheaper than the 5800 and has most of what you want: 7 optical & 3 coaxial digital inputs; 6 amp channels @ 110w + 2 @ 35W. It still has the sub output at <90 Hz, but can't you adjust your sub crossover lower if you want?

I have had my RX-V1 about a month and love it. I am not using the same speakers as you, I have the Synergy series due to space constraints, but I set the subs to cross at 70 Hz and it seems to work. The amps are great with a damping factor of 200, I should be able to drive any speaker (Non Klipsch even).

I couldn't tell a difference in the store between the Denon and the Yamaha listening to the same front speakers that I have at home. I upgraded from a Yamaha RX-V590 that I have had for 5 years. The 590 still sounds and works great, I just wanted the new modes.

The RX-V1 is not software upgradable, but it has external decoder inputs.

Just my opinion. Good luck in your hunt.

------------------

Jim

SF-2 Mains

SF-1 Center (pair)

Quintet Rears

KSW-10 Subs (pair)

Yamaha RX-V1 Reciever

Yamaha CDC-655 CD Player

Toshiba SD-1200 DVD

Toshiba TN50X81 50" HDTV

Thanks for the input, I decided on the B&K307. BTW, I did also consider the Yamaha RX-V1 (you get their new remote, a pronto clone, with the purchase) but with the setup I have I wanted 7 full amp channels. Very difficult choice between the B&K and the Denon5800. Separate local dealers carried them and I was fortunate to demo them (had to almost threaten them until they realized I was serious). The Denon to me had more "features" and surround modes, but in my room the B&K just simply sounded better, especially in music. I watch concert DVD's almost everyday (Moody Blues Live at Royal Albert Hall, Metallica S&M, Eagles Hell Freezes Over and the daddy Steely Dan's 2 against nature) so I am not a big fan of all the surround modes anyway. Also the B&K seemed to be infinitely tweakable.

I bought the Yamaha RX-V1000 from the dealer who carried the B&K and after 7 months he gave me full purchase price towards the B&K (which was great because I thought I paid to much for it anyway). That made it real diffucult not to chose the B&K307.